Ferry from Blaine, WA to Victoria, BC??

suziehmkr

Hello all!

I am a super planner and trying to plan for Alaska 2007.... this involves us driving from CA, since DH doesn't like to fly. So we have decided to spend a couple of nights in Seattle and then a couple of nights in Birch Bay - which seems to be only about an hour or less from Vancouver. While we stay in Birch Bay we would like to spend a day in Vancouver and a day in Victoria.

It looks like Blaine, WA is the closest "launching point" to get to Victoria for the day... but I am having trouble finding information on ferry service.

Is there daily fairy service from Blaine, WA to Victoria? Or will we need to drive all the way into Vancouver to catch the ferry?

As you can tell, I know NOTHING about the area! :) Any help would be great appreciated!

IMHO the best way to get to Victoria is to take the Victoria Clipper from downtown Seattle. These are passenger ferries and they drop you right on the Inner Harbor in Victoria. We have done just a day trip to Victoria this way before, but you could also stay overnight and catch the Clipper back the next day. The crossing is a couple of hours. Here is their website. http://www.victoriaclipper.com/

If you want a car ferry you can drive over to Port Angeles, WA and catch the Coho ferry to Victoria. http://www.cohoferry.com/

Or, you can drive up to Tsawwassen, BC and catch the BC ferry to Victoria. http://www.bcferries.com/

I believe there is also a passenger ferry from Bellingham, WA to Victoria, but I don't know anything about it.

However you get there, enjoy Victoria. It is a great place to visit.

c-cruise - thanks for the information! I hadn't even thought of just staying in Seattle one more night and going from there instead of up north. Thanks for putting that out there. Can you tell me - is the ferry ride a rocky one? Or is it smooth water. DH gets sick on smaller boats if it is rough... does ok on smoother water. He managed fine in one of the larger ferries in San Francisco, but the Bay gets very rough - and does ok in tenders if we don't have to wait too long... but usually does fine on cruise ships.

But checking with BC Ferry - seems that we could save quite a bit of $$ if we just drive to Vancouver first.... hmmmm much thinking to do.

Thanks again!

I think that is what we have decided to... I was just wondering if there was anything closer. I was wanting to keep from going thru customs more than one day in a row. Since you live in Vancouver, can you tell me what are peak times in the morning at the border to avoid when going INTO Canada from Washington? Or is it pretty smooth any time? I guess we will be doing that 3 days in a row... one day for Victoria, one for Vancouver and one for cruise embarkation day.

Thanks bunches!!

at all times during the day-up to 2 or 3 hours.700am is a good time and around 500pm is the worst.

You can stay at Semiamhoo Resort(Blaine) and watch the border line up or call from there and then head out. Why not take the Ferry from Port Angelas(near Seattle) to Victoria and then take a ferry to Vancouver?

Thanks for the info on the border... looks like we will head out early, especially on cruise embarkation day.

I am trying to plan our pre-cruise since we will be driving. We have timeshares in Seattle, Birch Bay (Blaine), Vancouver & Victoria - among other places.

We want to spend a day or two in Seattle, a day in Vancouver and a day in Victoria. The properties in Vancouver & Victoria are very popular and hard to get into since I am not reserving a full week... Although, I might do that just get in and then just check out early!! LOL Birch Bay seems to be easier to get into and seemed central to Victoria & Vancouver. But perhaps, I will just do what I just mentioned and book 1/2 week in Seattle and 1/2 week in Vancouver and not even worry about 3 border crossings & such!

Thanks for helping me brainstorm!!!

• 3 weeks later...

grouchy, c-cruise & gardyloo

Just wanted to thank you again for your input on this whole transit thing. We have decided to book early instead of hedging our bets on 60 day availability... spend a couple of days in Seattle, then take the Coho Ferry over to Victoria (we will have our car.) Spend a couple of days in Victoria and then take the BC Ferry over to Vancouver and spend a couple of days there. I imagine the one that I would want us to take from Victoria to Vancouver would be the Tsawwassen-Swartz Bay ferry, correct? And I think this way the only time we have an actual border crossing will be when we leave Vancouver after our cruise and head home. Very nice!

I appreciate everyone that posts on these boards! I only wish it were during hockey season so I could catch a game north of the border!

Thanks again....

Tina

I imagine the one that I would want us to take from Victoria to Vancouver would be the Tsawwassen-Swartz Bay ferry, correct? And I think this way the only time we have an actual border crossing will be when we leave Vancouver after our cruise and head home. Very nice!
That's right.

If timing wasn't a concern, I'd actually reverse your route. In general (and there are no guarantees) the highway border crossings into Canada are much quicker than into the US. On the other hand, clearing US immigration and customs is much easier using the Coho. Then the road/ferry (at Bainbridge Island) into Seattle is a breeze (and entering Seattle is very dramatic.) Plus, if you have a longish wait in Victoria, the Coho dock is easily walkable from many things around the Inner Harbour, while in PA there's not much to do while you wait for the boat.

Thanks! I think it would be good to, but since we are doing this pre-cruise that isn't an option this time.... BUT - we may just love the area and return without a cruise booked too!

In general, how long do you think it takes to drive from Seattle to Port Angeles? We well be staying downtown.

Thanks again! We are looking forward to it! Now just waiting for RCCL to open up bookings for 2007! :)

Thanks! I think it would be good to, but since we are doing this pre-cruise that isn't an option this time.... BUT - we may just love the area and return without a cruise booked too!

In general, how long do you think it takes to drive from Seattle to Port Angeles? We well be staying downtown.

Thanks again! We are looking forward to it! Now just waiting for RCCL to open up bookings for 2007! :)

Downtown to ferry dock, 5minutes.

Ferry to Bainbridge, 40 minutes.

Bainbridge dock to Port Angeles, 70-90 min. give or take.

Downtown to ferry dock, 5minutes.

Ferry to Bainbridge, 40 minutes.

Bainbridge dock to Port Angeles, 70-90 min. give or take.

Wow, that is longer than I thought it would.... Thanks for the heads up.... we haven't dealt with ferries like this before. I really do appreciate your help!

Archived