Alcohol & Customs on cruise

Hi all,

I'm going on a cruise in a months time, and will be taking alcohol from home on board with me to drink on the ship.

Question: When i bring the leftover alcohol back to Australia (if any left), does this have to go through customs, and will it go towards the 2.25L of allowed duty free alcohol back into Australia? We will be bringing back 2.25L of alcohol bought duty free as well.

If it's going to cause trouble bringing excess alcohol back into Australia, I'll just empty out any leftover alcohol before we enter customs as we get home.

Cheers!

Hi all,

I'm going on a cruise in a months time, and will be taking alcohol from home on board with me to drink on the ship.

Question: When i bring the leftover alcohol back to Australia (if any left), does this have to go through customs, and will it go towards the 2.25L of allowed duty free alcohol back into Australia? We will be bringing back 2.25L of alcohol bought duty free as well.

If it's going to cause trouble bringing excess alcohol back into Australia, I'll just empty out any leftover alcohol before we enter customs as we get home.

Cheers!

The simple answer is --

If you manage to take alcohol onto the ship, it would be wisest to drink it all.

:rolleyes:

P

yea, i've done some more research now and it seems it's LEGAL to take the alcohol onboard the ship (while it may be against P&O rules), but to bring it back into australia through customs, especially unsealed, i could be up to pay alot of taxes...

Would I be right in saying that?

yea, i've done some more research now and it seems it's LEGAL to take the alcohol onboard the ship (while it may be against P&O rules), but to bring it back into australia through customs, especially unsealed, i could be up to pay alot of taxes...

Would I be right in saying that?

Even though it might be legal to take alcohol onto a ship, I believe the cruiseline would be able to keep it for you (as they do) and return it before you disembark. I would not try to convince P & O that they had to let you board with your alcohol.

I believe that any left-over alcohol would be added to your duty free purchases. If you are over the limit, Customs can charge you duty on the lot. On the other hand, they might let you through without charging duty.

Alcohol

If you are aged 18 years or over, you can bring 2.25

litres of alcohol duty-free into Australia with you.

All alcohol in accompanied baggage is included in

this category, regardless of where or how it was purchased.

Got this off the Customs sight, fairly plain reading there. So I suggest what you take on board with you drink it if you are intending on purchasing more Duty Free whilst your on your cruise.

Jillybean:)

Hi,

On my recent Sun Princess cruise, I successfully used RumRunners to bring some scotch onboard. I brought 2 with me, but I only drank one. On the last day when you can buy the duty free alcohol and take it with you back to your cabin, I brought an extra bottle and tipped it into the empty RumRunner.(I had bought the correct quota at the Galleria in

Auckland). It worked out well as I didn't have to declare any extra alcohol. I didn't however know that if I got caught I would have to pay the tax. I was just lucky I guess.

Deidre.

If you are caught taking alcohol onto a ship in a RumRunner, all that will happen is big embarrassment and confiscation of the alcohol (may be given back to you at the end of the cruise).

I would not be game to use a RumRunner to evade customs duty. If it was found you would be charged duty on all the alcohol you are carrying and I suspect you could be fined as well because they would be sure you would be trying to evade tax. If you carry excess alcohol and declare it, they MIGHT let you through or might charge tax on all the alcohol, but there would not be a fine. I don't think it is worth the risk.

If you are caught taking alcohol onto a ship in a RumRunner, all that will happen is big embarrassment and confiscation of the alcohol (may be given back to you at the end of the cruise).

I would not be game to use a RumRunner to evade customs duty. If it was found you would be charged duty on all the alcohol you are carrying and I suspect you could be fined as well because they would be sure you would be trying to evade tax. If you carry excess alcohol and declare it, they MIGHT let you through or might charge tax on all the alcohol, but there would not be a fine. I don't think it is worth the risk.

The rum runner will only be used to smuggle the alcohol on board...

But i'm only wanting to attempt this if I won't be fined by customs for smuggling alcohol onboard...

But i'm only wanting to attempt this if I won't be fined by customs for smuggling alcohol onboard...

Customs are only interested in the alcohol you are bringing back into Australia, not what you take out of the country.

Royboy

Customs won't know or care how much alcohol you take on board, whether it is smuggled or carried openly. It is P & O who have the restrictions.

We also took rum runners on our recent cruise on Rhapsody, as did many fellow passengers :p We just packed ours in suitcase, amongst clothes, etc.... being plastic, it doesnt show up, havent heard of anyone being caught with..Others we know of put in their habd luggage etc...What we didnt use we just bought home. When you get off the ship customs arent that fussed re the checking as there are people trying to board for the next cruise, so they want you out as quickly as possible. They may have had a quick look at a few people who were carrying their duty free in the clear bags. We carried ours in our backpacks and was never checked at all. We were good and didnt have too much extra, but if we did it wouldnt have mattered much anyway. A fellow passenger we had met was a customs officer and he said they check a few people's duty free (hand luggage) he said if you have declared that you have extra thats ok, its just the ones who dont declare it then get caught with they come down harder on. That is what we have found on all our previous cruises anyway. Fiona:)

We also took rum runners on our recent cruise on Rhapsody, as did many fellow passengers :p We just packed ours in suitcase, amongst clothes, etc.... being plastic, it doesnt show up, havent heard of anyone being caught with..Others we know of put in their habd luggage etc...What we didnt use we just bought home. When you get off the ship customs arent that fussed re the checking as there are people trying to board for the next cruise, so they want you out as quickly as possible. They may have had a quick look at a few people who were carrying their duty free in the clear bags. We carried ours in our backpacks and was never checked at all. We were good and didnt have too much extra, but if we did it wouldnt have mattered much anyway. A fellow passenger we had met was a customs officer and he said they check a few people's duty free (hand luggage) he said if you have declared that you have extra thats ok, its just the ones who dont declare it then get caught with they come down harder on. That is what we have found on all our previous cruises anyway. Fiona:)

I agree with that. On some trips (not cruises in particular) we have had a bit over the duty free limit and have declared it. A couple of times the officer just told us it was OK, and on another occasion someone I know got a short lecture!

I agree with that. On some trips (not cruises in particular) we have had a bit over the duty free limit and have declared it. A couple of times the officer just told us it was OK, and on another occasion someone I know got a short lecture!

I think a lot of the time it depends whether they are new on the job, and have just been given a uniform,

or if they been round the traps a few times,

and realise , and understand what is going on.:D

We also took rum runners on our recent cruise on Rhapsody, as did many fellow passengers :p We just packed ours in suitcase, amongst clothes, etc.... being plastic, it doesnt show up, havent heard of anyone being caught with..

Wouldn't the xray scanners pick up the liquid though?

Hi,

I didn't measure it, just poured some in from the bottle of scotch.

Deidre.

how many drinks do you think you got from the two rum runners?

What are the rum runners made of?

Archived