Verizon Cell Phone Coverage

Lynda90

I will be on the Diamond to Hawaii in December. Anyone know whether Verizon has cell phone coverage in all the ports. I called Verizon, but they could not verify if there was coverage in all the ports. They said Kona and Kauai looked iffy?? Also, if you use your cell phone on the ship, but while in port, will there be additional charges or is the same as getting off the ship and using it. Thanks!

Just returned from Hawaii on Tuesday and have Verizon national coverage. I stopped in the Verizon store before the trip and was told as long as my cell phone said "Verizon" or "extended coverage" I was covered with no roaming charges. I had service in Honolulu, Hilo, Kona, Mauai and Kauai; however, no service at all while cruising, so shut the phone off (that is roaming if you can get a signal). There were a few dead spots at some of the above locations, but for the most part, service was good.

our verizon phone never worked going to hawaii from california,

only in hawaii, and they charged massive roaming fees..

so be sure to check your plan... we talked to someone for about 20 minutes and it was like 50$+

crazy...

Melissa

our verizon phone never worked going to hawaii from california,

only in hawaii, and they charged massive roaming fees..

so be sure to check your plan... we talked to someone for about 20 minutes and it was like 50$+

crazy...

Melissa

NO phone will work from anywhere TO Hawaii. Unless you happen to enrolled in the ship cell service and as far as I know that is only on certain ships and expensive. OR if you have a SAT phone. :)

We have Verizon also. More concerned about getting my data card around the Islands so as getting to use my OWN computer.

The card is suppose to be. If it works it works. No roaming. Better check for sure though.

NO phone will work from anywhere TO Hawaii. Unless you happen to enrolled in the ship cell service and as far as I know that is only on certain ships and expensive. OR if you have a SAT phone. :)

We have Verizon also. More concerned about getting my data card around the Islands so as getting to use my OWN computer.

The card is suppose to be. If it works it works. No roaming. Better check for sure though.

My cingular phone worked,at sea and on land , it said cingular at sea.. my husband has verizon i have cingular ( or AT & T ) and it worked really good, it charged more , but nothing like verizon did,,

i called verizon before we left and they told me to press something on the phone to make it get a stronger signal. i cant remember what it was...

maybe call and ask

but it did work on the islands, just real expensive,

but when we are home in CA , we can call hawaii for FREE crazy..

Just returned from Hawaii on Tuesday and have Verizon national coverage. I stopped in the Verizon store before the trip and was told as long as my cell phone said "Verizon" or "extended coverage" I was covered with no roaming charges. I had service in Honolulu, Hilo, Kona, Mauai and Kauai; however, no service at all while cruising, so shut the phone off (that is roaming if you can get a signal). There were a few dead spots at some of the above locations, but for the most part, service was good.

Thank you; this is the information I was looking for. I also have the America's Choice, national coverage plan and will be traveling to the exact ports you mention. Looks like I will be able to use my phone in port without any additional charges. Verizon told me if I could get a signal, I will be able to use it without additonal charges. I will take your advise and turn my phone off when at sea.

My cingular phone worked,at sea and on land , it said cingular at sea.. my husband has verizon i have cingular ( or AT & T ) and it worked really good, it charged more , but nothing like verizon did,,

i called verizon before we left and they told me to press something on the phone to make it get a stronger signal. i cant remember what it was...

maybe call and ask

but it did work on the islands, just real expensive,

but when we are home in CA , we can call hawaii for FREE crazy..

I guess I should have said "No phone will work ON board OUTside of ports. Ie across the Pacific like Lynda is cruising, unless the ship is equiped. Wow, you said your ATT did? Thats great!. It wasnt a Princess ship was it? as they dont have that service but on one ship. And lyndabaker will be on the Diamond. And no cell towers at sea. :)

As far as Verizon on the Islands? It is local and cost us nothing. As long as you have the National plan. Or at least when DW went there. She was calling me here at home and all over the Islands and Nada.

What it does is as far as the signal increase? It re activates your roaming location. I think it is *226.

But for you to get a signal at sea? Thats GREAT. But it had to be offered by the ship I would think.

As long as my data card works onboard around the Islands? Thats all I care about.

We are traveling on December 3 - Diamond and I went to the Verizon store and was told that we could use our phones in Honolulu and Hilo only. The rest if we could get service would be $1-2.00 per minute. So guess we will see!!

Thank each service is different - might want to call and get it straight from carrier.

We are traveling on December 3 - Diamond and I went to the Verizon store and was told that we could use our phones in Honolulu and Hilo only. The rest if we could get service would be $1-2.00 per minute. So guess we will see!!

Thank each service is different - might want to call and get it straight from carrier.

If you look at Verizons maps. They have coverage on all the islands. I REALLY think you should be able to use them more than that. One problem may be if you are tendered. Or anchored offshore. In our case will be Kona and Maui I think.

And if you are on National you should not run into any roaming. At least it shows that there are no roaming spots there. I THINK with the national either you get it or you dont. I dont think we pay for any roaming on our plan.

I guess I could have a change of tune in a month or so. LOL

I am also taking an antenna that I have for my cellphone and data card. May help a bit off shore.

But accross the Pacific. There is NO Verizon cell service except for on The Grand Princess. And that is all international stuff and you will pay at least 2.50 per Min.

I guess I should have said "No phone will work ON board OUTside of ports. Ie across the Pacific like Lynda is cruising, unless the ship is equiped. Wow, you said your ATT did? Thats great!. It wasnt a Princess ship was it? as they dont have that service but on one ship. And lyndabaker will be on the Diamond. And no cell towers at sea. :)

As far as Verizon on the Islands? It is local and cost us nothing. As long as you have the National plan. Or at least when DW went there. She was calling me here at home and all over the Islands and Nada.

What it does is as far as the signal increase? It re activates your roaming location. I think it is *226.

But for you to get a signal at sea? Thats GREAT. But it had to be offered by the ship I would think.

As long as my data card works onboard around the Islands? Thats all I care about.

yeah we were on celebrity infinity... i was surprised,, i didnt use it much, cause each time i did, i thought it was 12n, and it was like 6am in CA... our friends werent too happy, hee heeeee

take care

Melissa

I just received my Verizon bill today dated thru' September 2, and there were no roaming charges on the bill. Hence, all the calls I made from Hawaii to the mainland were part of the national coverage plan. Someone else suggested this on the board, and they are absolutely correct; when you first arrive in Hawaii, you do have to update your cell phone, and I believe it is *228 send. You may have to re-program your lock code number thereafter. After you return back home, do the same thing. As I recall, I had no service in Volcano National Park, but for the most part, had a good signal most other places. Verizon does not have a contract with the NCL Pride of Hawaii ship for a cell tower on board, but they may have a contract with the other NCL ships. I'm just not sure. They do have contracts on some of the other cruise lines, but I think you will have roaming charges. You are really out at sea overnight, and can always turn your phone on once you are docked, which is what we did. I made all calls off the ship. All you folks who are looking forward to your Hawaii trip will have a wonderful, wonderful time. I have read several posts from our group of Cruise Critic folks who sailed POH on 8/27, and we all had a grand time. So enjoy!

If you look at Verizons maps. They have coverage on all the islands. I REALLY think you should be able to use them more than that. One problem may be if you are tendered. Or anchored offshore. In our case will be Kona and Maui I think.

And if you are on National you should not run into any roaming. At least it shows that there are no roaming spots there. I THINK with the national either you get it or you dont. I dont think we pay for any roaming on our plan.

I guess I could have a change of tune in a month or so. LOL

I am also taking an antenna that I have for my cellphone and data card. May help a bit off shore.

But accross the Pacific. There is NO Verizon cell service except for on The Grand Princess. And that is all international stuff and you will pay at least 2.50 per Min.

Do you have a link to the Verizon coverage map for Hawaii? I can't seem to find it on their website. Also, did you have to re-program your phone as others have mentioned? When I called Verizon they said nothing about this. They just said that with my plan I could use it wherever I got a signal with no additional charges.

I also had difficulty finding the coverage map on the Verizon website so just went into their store for a brochure. As far as updating your phone, if you stop in the store and ask, I am certain they will tell you that you should probably update your phone every 3-4 months anyway (*228). We do it routinely here in the Chicago burbs, but every time we travel out of state - east coast or Florida, we update our phones, and then do it again on the return trip.

*228 then when given options choose 2. This updates the tower list so your phone has the latest software. If your phone doesn't know it is near a tower, you will roam!

Verizon updates the software about every 4-6 weeks. It is well worth doing Verizonites.

*228 then when given options choose 2. This updates the tower list so your phone has the latest software. If your phone doesn't know it is near a tower, you will roam!

Verizon updates the software about every 4-6 weeks. It is well worth doing Verizonites.

Do you have a link to the Verizon coverage map for Hawaii? I can't seem to find it on their website. Also, did you have to re-program your phone as others have mentioned? When I called Verizon they said nothing about this. They just said that with my plan I could use it wherever I got a signal with no additional charges.

Try https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorController?requesttype=newsearch this. Put in HI ONLY. Then you can zoom in and around. If that doesnt work? Log into your account and click on coverage locator. Make sure you do the *228 like mentioned above.

HI. We will be traveling on the Diamond as well in October and here's what a verizon rep told me: There will be coverage at the ports of Hawaii as we have National roaming. The The Diamond is equipped for the cell phone coverage while at sea and the charge is $2.49/min (allot cheaper cheaper that the ship phone which is $8-9/min. When you are in Ensendada it will be .64/min. or, If you sign up temporary for the month for "international roam" for $3.99 (Just for the month you travel, then cancel it when you get home) your calls in Ensenada will be .19/min. We have kids we're leaving home and need to be in contact. Hope this helps. Thanks, guys as well for the idea of *228 to update my phone. I've never heard that before;)

Archived