Can you Use Skype on Ship?

LorrieB

We are thinking about getting a Skype Account. Will we be able to use it onboard the ship? Will we have to purchase an internet package to be able to use it? I'm not really sure how it works. Any information you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

I am sure you have to be online to log into skype, so you would have to either do it onboard or in the ports. I have seen folks in the internet cafe in Cozumel using skype. There are microphones they provide, because a guy came to get mine when his computer didnt have one on it. Its a bit disturbing to the others in the internet cafe ...

If you brought your own laptop and used it away from the internet cafe it would probably be better. cozumel has a closer place for $2 per hour, its closer than the place I go to and near the port, and the price is only if you have your own laptop, otherwise its $4 last time I went in and checked, so I went on down the street.

Yes you can use Skype on your laptop but it's going to depend on which ship you're on because when we were on The Navigator last month, there was no wireless in the rooms so we had to take the laptop and try to find a quiet area. I highly recommend a headset/microphone because otherwise it's hard for the person you're talking to to hear you.

I am sure you have to be online to log into skype, so you would have to either do it onboard or in the ports. I have seen folks in the internet cafe in Cozumel using skype. There are microphones they provide, because a guy came to get mine when his computer didnt have one on it. Its a bit disturbing to the others in the internet cafe ...

If you brought your own laptop and used it away from the internet cafe it would probably be better. cozumel has a closer place for $2 per hour, its closer than the place I go to and near the port, and the price is only if you have your own laptop, otherwise its $4 last time I went in and checked, so I went on down the street.

I have Skype downloaded on my laptop.. Is that all I need to do in order to use it on the ship?

Maybe we were posting at the same time... the only way you can be online when you cruise is by purchasing a package or by the minute (75 cents per minute) ..plus $3.95 set up fee.

Maybe we were posting at the same time... the only way you can be online when you cruise is by purchasing a package or by the minute (75 cents per minute) ..plus $3.95 set up fee.

So you pre pay for internet usage? And that is it? Get it and get online and Skpe away?

So you pre pay for internet usage? And that is it? Get it and get online and Skpe away?

Do you have a built in microphone?? I think the separate ones are better, dont forget to bring one.

Sometimes it doesnt work well from the ship, not enough bandwidth ...if you are on at a popular time, you might not get to use it or it will be voices breaking up a lot. No guarantees, it will work, but people have used it.

I have Skype loaded on my Iphone. I have never tried to use it on the ship (not willing to pay the internet prices to make a phone call, it does take a lot of bandwidth). I have used it with differing results at hot spots in Mexico and Italy. Sometimes the sound is perfect other times it sounds like talking thru a bucket of water. I use the Apple ear buds with the built in microphone. I have been told that it does work better with a dedicated headset/microphone. By the way it is free from and to Mexico and free to about 5 cents a minute in Italy.

Be warned... I do believe that they (the ship's internet) block that port that Skype uses. So... the short answer... maybe not.

Which sites are blocked seems to vary from ship to ship. I know some have it blocked and some dont...go figure...but I agree, it could be blocked..

I got on the message board on the carnival site my first conquest cruise, just read, didnt post, next time I got on, they had it blocked.

They wouldn't block the site... they block the TCP/IP port that Skype communicates on.

And they're generally right for doing so. The IP packet upload / download size would hog up the bandwidth that they need for regular internet traffic.

They wouldn't block the site... they block the TCP/IP port that Skype communicates on.

And they're generally right for doing so. The IP packet upload / download size would hog up the bandwidth that they need for regular internet traffic.

If they block it it's for financial reasons not bandwitdth because they would have to block many many sites, like youtube, itunes, aolradio etc...

We were on the Dream in Mar. and used Skype to talk to our kids. We brought our own laptop and bought internet minutes from the Fun Hub. We were able to use it in our cabin, our laptop is wireless. I think we bought 300 mins for $75.00 (but I don't remember exactly). We had no problem using Skype at all.

We were on the Dream in Mar. and used Skype to talk to our kids. We brought our own laptop and bought internet minutes from the Fun Hub. We were able to use it in our cabin, our laptop is wireless. I think we bought 300 mins for $75.00 (but I don't remember exactly). We had no problem using Skype at all.

Did Mach post that Dream has more bandwidth than older ships?? That might be why it worked better on Dream. If you got 300 min for $75, thats the best deal Iv ever seen.

Does your Skype account include calls between Canada and Mexico and or the caribbean?

I found this on Carnival's forums - the poster was using a Verizon Blackberry

"I just got home from the cruise. Skype did not work. It just generated an error message that said you have to be on United States towers to use Skype. "

• 9 months later...

I will be sailing on the Carnival Conquest and my husband is unable to go with me. I would like to skype him while I am away. I have read conflicting statements regarding this. Has anyone been on the Conquest and used or try to use skype? :confused:

Archived