Electric car rental

l1222

We have been to Key West twice (both on a cruise ship) and we are going back on March 19 on the Carnival Fantasy. We always rent an electric car because it is the best way to see Key West when you don't have a lot of time.

On our previous trips we rented from Pirate Scooter Rentals but this time I was also thinking about renting from Tropical Rentals because it seems as if they have the best rates. In fact I was gonna make our reservation today.

What ship are you going on???

Just wanted to drop back in and say that we booked our electric car this week at Tropical Rental. I booked a 2 seater electric car for the day our day in Key West. They took our reservation with no issues. I was previously told that they dont take reservations but since we will be there during spring break I wanted the assurance of knowing that we have a reservation

Just wanted to drop back in and say that we booked our electric car this week at Tropical Rental. I booked a 2 seater electric car for the day our day in Key West. They took our reservation with no issues. I was previously told that they dont take reservations but since we will be there during spring break I wanted the assurance of knowing that we have a reservation

Thinking about renting one also...what was the price for the day?

Thinking about renting one also...what was the price for the day?

Our price at Tropical rental is based on how long you keep your electric car. We figured we will keep it around 6 hours and they said the rate would $94.00 for that time. That was the best rate I could find in Key West.

Here is their website : http://bellsouthpwp.net/t/r/troprent/prod03.htm

I've rented a couple of times from "Reef Mobiles" - last time was a couple of years ago. Price was comparable to the other places & we were happy both times with the vehicles & service.

I don't think there's much difference in the various companies.

We did rent a 4-seater from Tropical in Key West last week. Things were mostly fine. They did take a reservation ahead of time. They did assure me they were going to mark on my reservation that I needed an easy access b/c of mobility issues. Our car was indeed easy to get in and out of. We had the car about 4 hours or so, it was fun. My DH was driving and he said it was a little stressful to drive - could be that back and forth waiting for Sis' and I to get out of the Coach store that was the issue, ha. We never ran out of 'juice', worked very well. Our only problem was we got a parking ticket - $25. Bummer. The total was $67 per couple, including the car and the ticket.

Met a gal on an exursion the next day who rented a 6-seater from the first kiosk upon exiting the Magic in Key West. Don't know her final cost, but they did score an easy and good lunch at Conch Republic with free parking b/c...their electric car location turned out to be next door to the restaurant. Nice! Wish that had been the case with us.

We drove all over, went through some of the interesting neighborhoods, along the beach, to a Eco center near the port that was free and had good bathrooms, shopping.

does parking become an issue?

It definitely can be an issue. When we rent an electric car we usually do all of our shopping before the town gets too busy. The last time I rented from Pirate Scooter we were told that if you aren't blocking traffic in any way when you stop then you will be fine. :rolleyes:

It definitely can be an issue. When we rent an electric car we usually do all of our shopping before the town gets too busy. The last time I rented from Pirate Scooter we were told that if you aren't blocking traffic in any way when you stop then you will be fine. :rolleyes:

As I assume most readers know, based on the :rolleyes:comment, this is not true. Park legally (including staying out of resident only spots) or you will get a nice souvenir called a Key West parking ticket.

• 1 month later...

We're looking at Tropical for our upcoming visit. How far of a walk is it, from the ship to their location? On a map, it looks like they're almost down to the Southernmost Point. We're hoping to get a rental close to the ship, so we can drive down there.

We're looking at Tropical for our upcoming visit. How far of a walk is it, from the ship to their location? On a map, it looks like they're almost down to the Southernmost Point. We're hoping to get a rental close to the ship, so we can drive down there.

No problem, Tropical will pick you up at the ship.

They even state that on their website: http://bellsouthpwp.net/t/r/troprent/

Mike:)

We just reserved a 2-seater for next week from Tropical. The man on the phone was very nice, he took our credit card number for a guarantee, and said to call them when we get into port, and they'll come to pick us up. Our ship (Millenium) arrives at 7am, but Tropical doesn't open until 8:30, so we'll take our time getting off the ship.

I didn't ask, but I assume they'll also give us a ride back to the ship, when we return the car?

We rented from Tropical Rental last month when we were in Key West and everything was perfect. Just an FYI on their website there is a coupon for a free hour rental. Print it and take it with you. I had it and they honored it you just have to show it when you arrive

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We'll be going to Key West on the Freedom on October 1, 2012. I sent an email from the website to Tropical Rentals to see if we could reserve a 2 seater ... I also have the printed out coupon for the extra hour free. I haven't heard anything back. Has anyone had experience on this ... do they take awhile, do they get back to you when you contact them online or is it better to call? Getting all our 'ducks lined up' for the cruise!!:D

Did you rent one and did you reserve ahead? Still haven't gotten a reply to my email ... wondering what others did ... :)

Just give them a call 305-294-8136. They are good folks and have been in business for quite some time.

Mike:)

Archived