Packing list for Alaska

The key to Alaska is to use thin layers. No need for your winter parka. One cruise it was in the high 70's and clear skies, we wore t-shirts and capris. The next it was in the low 40's and rainy. Check weather.com.

For the colder cruise I wore a T shirt, thin hoodie and a rain shell. For warmth I also had a fleece lined jacket. All jackets had hoods.

Bring gloves for the glacier viewing. That is cold.

We are leaving a week from today on the 27th. I have checked that weather out for 10 days and it looks like our first port at Icy Strait is supposed to be about 60 and 60% showers. I am taking layers, but I was thinking there was a packing list that had some other good hints, such as binoculars...which I do have!

I loved Icy Straight! Get your expensive trinkets there. I bought my elk-handled Ulu here for a lot less than anywhere else. When we went in 2007 most of the shops were local owned. The non-local ones were artists/jewelry kind of things. No chain stores here.

For Alaska beside layers, make sure you have good walking shoes with a bit of a grip. DH almost slid down the whole of Mt Roberts in Juneau.

Try the Alaska forum. Maybe the list over there.

Make sure you take some warm wether clothing along, as well. Vancouver is predicting temps at 75 degrees and sunny :)

More so than cold, I'd concentrate on clothing to wear in the rain. Light layers with a long enough raincoat to keep dry when sitting is best. Juneau always has rain and it looks like Skagway will be a bit wet as well. The temps aren't real low, in the low 60's or so, you won't be freezing. The only cold day you will probably have is when you are cruising the glacier.

Have a great cruise, Alaska is so beautiful!

Thanks all for the replies. I have to get my "rear in gear" tomorrow! I have to keep the "layering" mantra in my head as it is 90 degrees here and high humidity!:eek: I have a jacket that I got on clearance from Land's End that is a 3 in 1. Outer shell is rain/wind resistant and has a zip out fleece lining so I can wear either by themselves or wear the whole thing together so I think I am good on my coat. Also got some shoes (for $7.99 :D) that are quilted on the top with insulation and a nice heave sole. Also taking jeans and my "cuddle duds" to wear underneath if need be for the ports. If it should be warmer, I also got some pant from Land's End that can be worn full length or rolled up a bit to make capris. I think I will wear those on the flight out too.

We are skipping formal nights this time (first time!) so I think I will just be wearing nice slacks and tops for dinner...same for DH. Does it sound like I am on the right track for packing?:confused:

Sounds like you are on the right track. Last year when it was in the 40's and rainy, I wore jeans and my warm jacket. I had sneakers on my feet. The only concession to the cold was I broke down and wore socks. No long underwear at all.

I was warm enough and I have lived in Southern California all my life.

In 2006 we went to the top of the Mendenhall, there was a young 20ish gal waiting for the helicopter. She was wearing a miniskirt :eek:. It was warm that year (70's), but not that warm.

Thanks all for the replies. I have to get my "rear in gear" tomorrow! I have to keep the "layering" mantra in my head as it is 90 degrees here and high humidity!:eek: I have a jacket that I got on clearance from Land's End that is a 3 in 1. Outer shell is rain/wind resistant and has a zip out fleece lining so I can wear either by themselves or wear the whole thing together so I think I am good on my coat. Also got some shoes (for $7.99 :D) that are quilted on the top with insulation and a nice heave sole. Also taking jeans and my "cuddle duds" to wear underneath if need be for the ports. If it should be warmer, I also got some pant from Land's End that can be worn full length or rolled up a bit to make capris. I think I will wear those on the flight out too.

We are skipping formal nights this time (first time!) so I think I will just be wearing nice slacks and tops for dinner...same for DH. Does it sound like I am on the right track for packing?:confused:

Zip out the fleece lining and leave it at home ;)

Ohhh, not sure if I want to zip that fleece out or not. We're doing a halibut fishing excursion and I know on the water it is much cooler. The weather forecast is for highs of 60 and 60% chance of rain. Note to self....be sure to pack the rain ponchos!:rolleyes:

What about waterproof shoes? Do you really need them or can I just take 2 pairs of tennis shoes..so if 1 pair gets wet then I will use the other pair?

Hi:) I have never taken waterproof shoes with me and won't be

doing so this time either. We all have our priorities on what to

pack. Those are not on my list.

Your 2nd pair of tennis shoes sound fine to me.

I am going in September:) the summer is taking too long LOL

I am going in September:) the summer is taking too long LOL

Amen to that .. I am not planning on taking specific waterproof shoes either however since I live in the Pac North West .. most of my shoes are ok with a little rain anyway. My suede boots are treated to resist the rain .. however I don't wear them in a downpour. On the other hand, I don't wear tennis shoes for a lot of reasons.. but one is that they do get soaking wet in even a little rain.

So what shoes do you plan on taking?

Who are you asking?:D

I take 2 pair of clogs/mules for daytime. 2 pair of evening shoes and

1 extra pair for daytime which are usually a casual type loafer

for around the ship.

So, usually about 5 pairs total.

Archived