An MSC Fan Complains !!

czechmate

Any person who has read this board will know that I am a huge MSC fan.

I am also a realist and when I believe there is due cause for complaint then I will complain and uphold any other person taking the same action!!

Genoa is not the best served city in Italy for public transport. Flights are limited. Direct rail service is limited. MSC should be aware of this and take special steps to assist passengers that they disembark at the port.

When our transatlantic cruise on Opera ended in April this year passengers were transfered by coach to Milan airports at a charge of Euro 25.

Prior to the cruise our "group" from various parts of the world had indulged in conversations on this board because of different information and prices being quoted by the company in different countries.

In my review I naturally made fair and impartial criticism of the land based performance of the company.

Now I anticipate with pleasure my 2006 transtlantic crossing on Opera.

Due to a change in itinerary we will once again disembark in Genoa. To avoid the travel problems and the costs associated with air travel from Genoa it was decided that we would proceed to Milan.

The USA office of MSC are quoting to me an outrageous rate of $70 per person one way for coach transport. They are already quoting this rate to people for this year but telling them that they are "working on" the problem!!

Since I can hire a 5 seater Volkswagen Passat Estate Car for $90 and take an easy mainly motorway drive to Milan Malpensa airport you can guess what I have told MSC! A 9 seater vehicle costs little more.

It does so upset me to see the company acting in this crass manner. When they choose to disembark passengers at a port poorly served by public transport then surely they have an obligation to provide transport to better served cities at almost complimentary rates. Partly as a service and partly as a "thank you" for the patronage.

It must be borne in mind that the same coaches will be transporting passengers for the next cruise from airports like Milan to Genoa. There can thus be no justification for a charge of $70 per person one way.

What is most outrageous and MSC USA are too stupid to see this - people are paying MSC for the cruise per day $80 for travel, accommodation, food, entertainment, etc and then the company ask $70 for a 150minute coach ride!

Hello Czechmate,

just called my T.A. for transferprice Milan-Genoa, v.v.

One way is € 32. So return is € 64. ( as well as for Linate + Malpensa ).

Indeed you could by a ticket on board for € 25 one way.

Strange people, these men/women of MSC.

Perhaps it is an idea to mail to that MSC-lady, who was in the Cafe/Bar on Mallorca and on board OPERA ???

I think she can/will handle this !!

Henri.

Henri

Thank you for that information

It is incredible and not good for the reputation of the company!

"That MSC lady" I am guessing you mean the mother of Commandant Aponte the owner of MSC who was on Opera with us! Do you have her e-mail address :-)

Aye, Aye, Sir,

if you mean the one that wanted to pay for the diner in Mallorca, yes, that is the woman I mean.

Although I was not there, I heard the story.

I think Varadero knows more ?!? :confused:

Henri.

We were on a different cruiseline that docked in Dover u.k. it cost us $100. USD pp for the transfer to Heathrow 2 hours away.

Personally I have no interest in what different cruiselines charge when I am travelling with MSC. It is irrelevant but anyone who paid $100 per person to transfer from Dover to Heathrow has clearly failed to carry our proper research before the cruise.

I have now heard from Mr. Sasso. He suggests and I am seeking clarification there may be a misunderstanding the charge should be $35 per person from Genoa Pier to Milan Malpensa or Linate.

the charge should be $35 per person from Genoa Pier to Milan Malpensa or Linate.

That means that my T.A. put a few €€'s on the "standard" :confused: price !!

Henri.

Now confirmed by Mr. Sasso $35 per person from Genoa Pier to Milan Malpensa.

Mr Sasso states that the price is "FIXED" by the Head Office in Italy and in the USA they just convert it to $.

I suppose it depends on what is meant by "fixed" ! LOL.

Yet again it shows that the land based operations of MSC fail badly to match the brilliant cruise experience they provide when at sea.

Archived