Data Protection Issue

davyjones

Hi,

I have received an email from Cunard with a spreadsheet file attached giving me the booking reference and names and email address of 1225 passengers. This information would allow me to see all the information such as address, contact number and passport information that you need to enter before your cruise. My name and number is on the list. A later email from Cunard asked me to disregard the email. Has anyone else had this email? Any thoughts as to whom to contact at Cunard?

DJ

Having spoken to a lady at Cunard they are in the process of shutting down the Voyage Personalizers for all 1225 people. I assume people will be issued with new booking references as I have. It is about time the likes of cruise lines and airlines allowed one to set an additional password to supplement only needing the booking reference and person's name to access their details.

DJ.

Having spoken to a lady at Cunard they are in the process of shutting down the Voyage Personalizers for all 1225 people. I assume people will be issued with new booking references as I have. It is about time the likes of cruise lines and airlines allowed one to set an additional password to supplement only needing the booking reference and person's name to access their details.

DJ.

Thanks for the heads-up, DJ.

It looks like they have shut down the Voyage Personaliser for everyone at the moment. I was logged in a few minutes ago. Now when I try to access the Voyage Personaliser it says:

!

The system is offline at the moment.

We are working to restore it.

Please try again later.

I have emailed several of the people on the list to see if they too received the email with the attachment.

On a slightly different note having so many booking ref numbers to look at at once one immediately sees they are not as random as one might think. The first two characters are all the same, the third has about 6 variations and the remaining three are random. It would not take too long to write a script to churn through the now not so many permutations together with a bunch of common fore and surnames and see if you get a match.

I have emailed several of the people on the list to see if they too received the email with the attachment.

On a slightly different note having so many booking ref numbers to look at at once one immediately sees they are not as random as one might think. The first two characters are all the same, the third has about 6 variations and the remaining three are random. It would not take too long to write a script to churn through the now not so many permutations together with a bunch of common fore and surnames and see if you get a match.

What would you do with the match once you had found it?

J

I got this email as well. I am on the Nov. 20 W'bound crossing. I called Cunard and they said this was impossible. I had to reassure them that the document was right in front of me, and I can send it to them if they like, before they would get a supervisor. She said this was the first they had heard of it (I'm in the USA). She offered to rebook me, but in no way made it sound like they were automatically rebooking everybody. I had to call to initiate this.

I'm further dismayed that Cunard has not sent out an apology to all on the list for such a grievance. I feel like they completely do not understand the gravity of the situation. I actually had to ASK for an apology. Pitty.

What would you do with the match once you had found it?

J

Nothing as I'm a good guy but someone who wasn't might have a trawl for QG bookings (as that's where the money is ;) ), get their address and telephone number, ring up when they are away and if no answer pay a visit.

The script is relatively easy to write. I use a similar idea to do pretend bookings so I can get back the detailed cabin prices and then send myself an email when they change. You would be surprised how often cabin grades switch between showing no availability and available. I suppose this is the time the upgrade fairy is on duty freeing up the cheaper cabins.

I got this email as well. I am on the Nov. 20 W'bound crossing. I called Cunard and they said this was impossible. I had to reassure them that the document was right in front of me, and I can send it to them if they like, before they would get a supervisor. She said this was the first they had heard of it (I'm in the USA). She offered to rebook me, but in no way made it sound like they were automatically rebooking everybody. I had to call to initiate this.

I'm further dismayed that Cunard has not sent out an apology to all on the list for such a grievance. I feel like they completely do not understand the gravity of the situation. I actually had to ASK for an apology. Pitty.

Very upsetting, and not at all smart of the supervisor to say "that is impossible" !!!!! As though you would call if it were not so.

To quote an English saying "Some mothers do have them".

my concern is that this is a pretty tasty list that a lot of marketers would pay money for. I don't need any more email. In the end, it's a convenience for than a serious data security issue. But, it's not a great indicator of how Cunard/Carnival Corp treats their data privacy.

Nothing like 1200+ but before our Oct TA we got a notification email about some trivial thing and it included the names and booking numbers of two other sets of passengers. I ignored it, but I guess I could have signed the others up for shore excursions or something.

Now that is "dropping a cod" !

Ut-OH. that's bad.

Worse than dropping a flounder, or a trout even.

OP, thank you for the alert. I don't fancy having my passport number compromised (or any of the information I supplied on -line while booking a cruise or voyage.)

my concern is that this is a pretty tasty list that a lot of marketers would pay money for. I don't need any more email. In the end, it's a convenience for than a serious data security issue. But, it's not a great indicator of how Cunard/Carnival Corp treats their data privacy.

I don't understand your comment: "it's a convenience for than a serious data security issue". To whom would it be a convenience?

Nothing like 1200+ but before our Oct TA we got a notification email about some trivial thing and it included the names and booking numbers of two other sets of passengers. I ignored it, but I guess I could have signed the others up for shore excursions or something.

With a name and booking number, there are many things one could do, and far less beign than being signed up for shore excursions or something. You didn't ask, and I would not even if you had asked about what could do with a name and booking number. I' sure you could figure it out by yourself anyway.

I have great respect for the security team on board QM2, but the IT people have dropped the ball (or the cod, or whatever you want to call a serious breach of security).

As much as I enjoy a good laugh, is this security breach really funny?

To be honest, this is all very worrying. If that email had been sent to someone less honest then all sorts could have happened with the information. It's a very serious issue that Cunard need to address.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This is a prime example of human error, an employee of Cunard has sent out an email that had a spreadsheet attached in error. This spreadsheet contained some data on 1200 people or possibly 1200 couples which included their personal information, should it have happened? No of course it shouldn't. Is it Cunard's fault? Well their employee made the error so it can be laid at their door. What should Cunard do to prevent this ever happening again? Put post-it notes on all computers saying "DON'T SEND STUPID SECRET FILES OUT IN ERROR" and tell their staff to be more careful. Sadly people make mistakes which is why they put rubbers on the ends of pencils. NB, some call rubbers erasers! :)

Much as this is Cunard's error - was there not a disclaimer on the bottom of the email as below. Are you yourself not committing an offence by emailing people on the list ??

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged

material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or

entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from

any computer.

Carnival plc, a company incorporated in England, registered number: 4039524, registered office:

Carnival House , 5 Gainsford Street London SE1 2NE

VAT Reg No: GB 761 4300 58

Much as this is Cunard's error - was there not a disclaimer on the bottom of the email as below. Are you yourself not committing an offence by emailing people on the list ??

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged

material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or

entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from

any computer.

Carnival plc, a company incorporated in England, registered number: 4039524, registered office:

Carnival House , 5 Gainsford Street London SE1 2NE

VAT Reg No: GB 761 4300 58

Are you being serious, offence??? what offence? He was the intended recipient of the email anyway plus I must enquire whather your question is intended to be helpful in any way whatsoever, because it fails on so many levels!!

Archived