Fire on Norwegian Epic on 6/6/10

Here's the article from Meretmarine...

Several thousand people were evacuated yesterday from the Norwegian ship Epic, during a visit organized for the families of employees and subcontractors of STX France. Around 15 hours, starting a fire was reported on the back deck 8 in a room air conditioning. "The security teams quickly contained the fire to start and the damage is zero," they explained last night at STX France. For security reasons, visitors and some staff were evacuated during the operation. An hour and a half was necessary, including the time to check systems before returning on board is allowed. Consequences for the completion of the vessel, which will be delivered on June 17 at the American company Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), this setback, however, disrupted the schedule of visits and caused some havoc in queues. More than 15,000 people, in fact, parade on Sunday in the corridors of the Norwegian Epic!

Biggest liner done so far in France, the ship must complete its second round of sea trials June 11 to 13 His first formal presentation is planned in Rotterdam on 19 and its inaugural cruise, a transatlantic from Southampton to New York, will run from June 24 to July 1. The Norwegian Epic will be baptized the day after his arrival in the U.S. port.

Source: http://www.meretmarine.com/article.cfm?id=113373

Translation Services Provided by GOOGLE.

Can't help but hope that this ship gets the hell out of France on time! I didn't believe my eyes when I saw this article but it's true. Air conditioning duct in Deck 8 aft which is a passenger cabin deck. No damage according to that article but if something caught fire then it would have had to damaged at least what caught fire, right? :confused:

One thing I noticed is the delivery date has quietly slipped two days to June 17. Not a problem for the TA crew, but worthy of note.

Indeed... I knew a few weeks ago that this ship wouldn't be delivered at the original time. This only further complicates the delivery because I'm sure something was damaged, the question is what and how badly? :(

Good lord. This ship can't get out of France fast enough. If this and the other fire were set intentionally as part of a labor dispute (as suspected), I hope the idiots doing this realize they have signed a death warrant for this shipyard. Just my opinion

Indeed... I knew a few weeks ago that this ship wouldn't be delivered at the original time. This only further complicates the delivery because I'm sure something was damaged, the question is what and how badly? :(

I think the slipped date has nothing to do with today's fire. the decision had to have been made earlier, after a LOT of consideration and negotiation with NCL. Or...it could be a typo or an error also.

Can't help but hope that this ship gets the hell out of France on time! I didn't believe my eyes when I saw this article but it's true. Air conditioning duct in Deck 8 aft which is a passenger cabin deck. No damage according to that article but if something caught fire then it would have had to damaged at least what caught fire, right? :confused:

Wow! I agree....the sooner the Epic leaves this shipyard, the better.

The fire at the rear of the Norwegian Epic: the visits have taken place

A fire broke out at 15h in the rear of the Norwegian Epic object of attention, this Sunday, because since this morning, the guests of STX, the Saint-Nazaire shipyard, the ship visited before his planned departure for June 17 The visits had to be blocked: it has revealed those who were on board and visitors still have to wait alongside the claim is circoncrit.

The fire disrupted the visits could not resume until about 16h40.

17,000 visitors

Every day, some 17,000 people had to walk the decks. Most of them are employees of the yard and their relatives, friends or neighbors. The opportunity for them to show the results of their work even if the ship is still under development. Hazards, as two fires that are reported there a few weeks ago, have taken a little late to the site. Neither the employees nor the journalists present on the ship can not take any photos during the visit: the memories will therefore only be told.

Source: http://www.ouest-france.fr/actu/actuDet_-Le-feu-a-l-arriere-du-Norwegian-Epic-les-visites-ont-repris_39382-1400845_actu.Htm

Translation Provided by Google

I think the slipped date has nothing to do with today's fire. the decision had to have been made earlier, after a LOT of consideration and negotiation with NCL. Or...it could be a typo or an error also.

No it was in multiple news sources that it wasn't going to be ready on June 15th but rather two days later. It was silently hush hushed after the re-assessed the extent of the fire damage. Plus the rest of the ship still has a lot of work. Most of the public venues are coming together nicely but some of the top side places still have some work to be done like the Italian restaurant and the Garden Cafe. :cool:

I agree with getting the ship out of France ASAP. The longer it stays there the more peril I feel she may be in. This last one happened in an air conditioning area so what is missing is how it started. Was it caused by a malfunction of equipment or intentionally set? I'm sure word will come by this evenings publications from France. Either way whatever caught fire is going to need to be replaced. :mad:

All most people can do is pay very close attention during their muster drills. I pray for the safety for all those who sail upon her. I also hope that NCL has learned an important lesson from all this... NEVER ... EVER build a ship in France again!

My guess, with absolutely no knowledge, is that there has been very tight security and access/area monitoring since the fires until the open house Sunday. With security relaxed, it was a golden opportunity for the arsonist(s) to strike again!

My guess, with absolutely no knowledge, is that there has been very tight security and access/area monitoring since the fires until the open house Sunday. With security relaxed, it was a golden opportunity for the arsonist(s) to strike again!

Well I think it was as simple as an AC motor going up in smoke with little or no effect except the need to replace the motor. Never heard of an arsonist trying to light an AC unit on fire. The last 2 fires were dumpsters full of flamable material. The one on deck 4 and the one on the dock. :cool:

One thing I noticed is the delivery date has quietly slipped two days to June 17. Not a problem for the TA crew, but worthy of note.

Actually, the delivery date hasn't changed...it is still the 15th. After taking delivery, NCL will sail the Epic to Rotterdam for her first cruise...a CTN...that leaves on the 19th.

It is that CTN that is being reffered to as the "first formal presentation". If you think about it, they couldn't be talking about the handover...you'd only hand over the ship once...no need for a "first" presenation, if you're not planning a "second"

Ok now I am worried about FIREWORKS from this ship on the 4th of July !!!!! :o

LOL.

My understanding is that the broadcast will be taking place from onboard the Epic, the fireworks will be fired off from barges.

Hopefully someone is checking to make sure the company producing the fireworks is not a bunch of pissed off Frenchmen that decide to use the Epic for target practice......

Hopefully someone is checking to make sure the company producing the fireworks is not a bunch of pissed off Frenchmen that decide to use the Epic for target practice......

hahaha!

Hey..we can be charter members of GOOFI... "Get out of France Immediately" :)

Archived