How long does it take to get off ship in port?

connected98

I am arranging some pickups for car rentals and private tours and not sure when to set meeting times. How long does it usually take to get off ship at each port (assuming no tender)? So if the itinerary says we arrive at 8am, when am I off ship?

Thanks!

I was asking in general but if it makes a difference, our cruise is going to be in the Mediterranean. So far, I have to set up a meeting time for our private tour in Naples and for the car rental in Santorini and Corfu. And I'd like to get started as early as possible, which is the rationale for this question! Thanks for the replies ...

There is really no way to answer this except in general terms. Too much varies.........which cruiseline? which port? believe it or not what day of the week?

The ship (whatever it is) could be late for a variety of reasons.......authorities also have to clear the ship, which normally is done pretty quick but can take longer depending on the port etc.........

We normally have our rental car reservation and keep abreast of where we are in the process and then call using our cell phone for the rental car company.........

I will say MOST TIMES.......cruise ships are on time and are very good about getting passengers off the ship

I was asking in general but if it makes a difference, our cruise is going to be in the Mediterranean. So far, I have to set up a meeting time for our private tour in Naples and for the car rental in Santorini and Corfu. And I'd like to get started as early as possible, which is the rationale for this question! Thanks for the replies ...

If you let the Naples guide know the time you are "supposed" to dock and add a half hour or 45 min to that, the guide will wait. He's not going to leave and pass up the day's tour income. They can see if the ship isn't unloading on time.

Yea, besides actual ship delays (weather, dock, etc) - the other biggest variable can be the 'stairwell'.

If on a short window of time, ask the pursers desk the night before which deck/stairs will be used to disembark. Try to be there abit early and avoid the crowd of people. Or study deck plans, so that you may go to say Deck 2 in a different elevator stair, and then walk the hallway to the gangway, etc.

This stairwell phenomenon may be more prevelent in Caribbean ports, just FYI.

Archived