SJC 2013 - newbie here!

Annie_Cat40

Finally taken the plunge of booking this type of cruise and looking forward to it hugely. Trying now to get a bit more info on how it all works so if you have done this before as I can see some of you have please can you help me out.

I am coming from the UK with my husband, we are booked on week 1 (as newbies do!) Please can someone tell me about what types of clothes to bring, how formal is it???? What about off shore excursions other than the ones being promoted by the company, any ideas? What else do I need to know........ :eek: so much to learn so little time! :)

You will have an incredible time..suggest you look at the pics on the SJC website (under news and notes) to see what are the theme nights and suggestive warobe...are you coming over just for the cruise or are you planning on attending other music events?

Hi Annie,

Congrats on booking and I'll echo what hattack said inthat you'll in for an incredible time. I will try to answer you questions and provide some insight on you upcoming cruise, but you will receive additional info from the organizers starting this fall that will cover theme nights, attire, schedules and a host of other items.

As far as dress codes, trust me the fashion police take the week off when we are onboard. We have 6 casual and 1 formal night during the week. The Lido buffet area is always casual and the restriction they have is no swim suits or bare feet in the buffet area. For casual I have seen men in everything from nice jeans to slacks with a polo or camp shirt. For women I've seen jeans, casual slacks and dresses. On formal night you will see the full spectrum from slacks with a dress shirt & tie to full tuxedo. For women I've seen cocktail dresses, full formal dresses and even some in casual dresses. I think the organizers and cruise line wants to see everyone enjoy the week, be comfortable and have fun (several years ago one of our tablemates came to dinner in the MDR a few times in shorts, Idin't originally notice and no one complained). One thing you can do is go to the "news & notes" area of the website that hattack referred to and go to the photos to see the attire of the cruisers from day to day.

The organizers will give us a list of all of the theme nights and you can decide which ones & to what extent you participate. I normally do the show and dinner casual and then change for the theme parties. We've had everything from Mardi Gras, Super Hero, PJ night, white night, island night, spots & stripes and of course the final night is whatever is still clean night. You will also see the theme photos when you look at the photos on line.

As fas as shore excursions we have done both the ships excursions and those we have found researching the Ports of Call forums here. We have been to Cozumel several times and have done several things from the Aztec ruins to cooking classes & all inclusive beaches. Everyone looks for value and cost savings, just do your research on excursions you don't book through the ship. Make sure you know what you're getting how it works and the timeframe for the excursion. When you find your own excursion you're on your own as far as the quality of the excursion and making it back to the ship before sailing.

Let us know if you have other questions. There are several theme/jazz cruising veterans here that will be happy to help you maximize your time here and on the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

We are on your sailing and did week one in 2012 as well. We have also sailed on HAL numerous times. There was a pajama party night up on the pool deck, but many just wore their regular clothes. There was also a superhero party and my husband and I were one of the many dressed as Superman. Most people just wore regular clothes. There was one formal night - my husband brought along his tux, and I wore a velvet pantsuit. Most people did get dressed up, but a jacket and tie is adequate. During the day, totally casual - at night, anything but blue jeans and tee shirt goes. My husband loves photography, so if you want to see his pictures from the 2012 cruise, here they are. http://www.pbase.com/michaelblum/the_smooth_jazz_cruise_2012

Archived