Do you have to go threw customs?

welove2cruisedou

Do you have to go threw customs when flying from San Juan back to the United States? Can't remember, it's been a few years since my last cruise outta San Juan. I just want to know if you go threw customs at the airport in San Juan or do you go threw customs once you arrive at the airport back in the United States? I am wondering as I am trying to book flights back, just want to make sure I have enough time to go threw customs then get my connecting flight? Will 45 minutes give me enough time? Any answers would be appreciated. If you don't know, then dont post a rude comment. Thanks

Puerto Rico is a US Territory.

As such, you do not go through customs (nor immigration) at all flying States to PR, nor PR to States. It's just like flying between New York and Florida.

And you don't need a passport, either. Just your government-issued photo id (driver's license) is all you need.

Now, when you get off the ship in San Juan I think you go through customs and immigration since you'll have been out of the US while on the ship. But I forget that part exactly.

Hope that helps!

That is the correct procedure.... You will pass thru Customs and Immigration when you arrive back in San Juan on your ship.... One hint that will help you maybe, DO NOT REMOVE your ship luggage tags from your luggage before arriving at the airport.... If you are coming from a cruise ship to board an aircraft bound for the US mainland you will NOT have to pass thru USDA scanners at the airport.... This could save you anywhere from 5 min. to 45 min. depending on the line at the scanner...

That is the correct procedure.... You will pass thru Customs and Immigration when you arrive back in San Juan on your ship.... One hint that will help you maybe, DO NOT REMOVE your ship luggage tags from your luggage before arriving at the airport.... If you are coming from a cruise ship to board an aircraft bound for the US mainland you will NOT have to pass thru USDA scanners at the airport.... This could save you anywhere from 5 min. to 45 min. depending on the line at the scanner...

Ya know ... that never made any logical sense to me.

(This is more of a rant than anything else ... )

The whole purpose of USDA inspection is to ensure that certain plants and plant products are not being introduced into the States.

Just because the ship supposedly did an AG scan on the luggage, if the traveler has the luggage in their possession for any period of time between the ship and the airport ... then that should violate the ship's AG scan.

So, conceivably, you could get off the ship, spend a week here in PR, and not have to go through USDA inspection prior to check-in at the airport.

Because the ship's scan would somehow know what was added to the luggage after it left the ship?

I don't get it.

Hmm, that kinda doesn't make sense, now that you put it that way. I guess, some people might think they can sneek stuff into US. But, don't they rescan your luggage and bags at the airport? I just don't want to be standing in along line at the airport when trying to get to my next connecting flight. But will do whatever, to get to where I am going safely.

Regardless, all bags go through the TSA security scan once you hand them over to the airline at check-in.

It's the USDA scan that's in question here. This scan is strictly a scan for prohibited agricultural material. It has nothing to do with safety/security.

Archived