temp/ water temp

erRN2be

The water temperature in April will probably be around 80-82 degrees F. This is actually one of the nicest times of the year (most locals don't actually go in the sea from December until Easter as we find it too cold!!) The only thing that I would warn you about is that this is also the time of year when sea itch (I think they call it sea lice in Florida) come out.

I have never heard of sea itch/sea lice. Doesnt sound very nice . We will be there in April as well. Is it safe to go in the sea when this is about?. Can you see the lice.? Do we need to take precautions? what do the lice do to you?

Sea itch (also called seabathers eruption- the term sea lice is actually incorrectly used as it is a condition that affects fish) is a rash caused by the stings of microscopic larvae of the sea thimble jellyfish so you don't actually see anything in the water.

Traditionally, it occurs between April to June around the Florida, Mexico and the Caribbean islands. Most people don't even feel the stings in the water and it may be a day or two before the rash/itch starts. Some people are also more susceptible than others.

Precautions that locals take are covering the entire body with sunblock/sun tan lotion but I think there are special jelly fish sunblock available. The rash will appear on the area most covered with clothes so women should consider two-piece instead of one-piece bathing suits and t-shirts should be avoided for same reason. Also pin up long hair so they don't sting on back/neck where hair hangs down.

After bathing you should change out of bathing suits as soon as possible and if possible shower (do not shower with bathing suit you had on in sea). Bathing suits should be thoroughly washed with detergent and heat dried before using again.

Treatment for persons affected are usually OTC hydrocortisone cream and antihistamine.

As I said before for what ever reason some people aren't affected at all while others are so take the necessary precautions and enjoy.

I think I have heard of the term before, have swam in the gulf in Florida before in April/May, but not for long periods of time. My husband really doesn't want to go on this cruise, if he ends up with this he will never go on one of my vacations again.. :( However, he will hopefully only be in the gulf when we are snorkeling and other then that he will not get into the water.

So keeping our fingers crossed. Sea itch stays away....

btw...about how long does the itch last?

chelle

Archived