Eastbound transatlantic: how many hours do you loose a day from Florida to UK?

tcieyes

HI, All those experienced Transatlantic cruise travelers: Questions: From Florida to UK how many hours a day do you loose? Will we want to eat dinner at 3AM at some point? Does it leave one with a jet lag kind of effect, or no problem? Eeekkk , I just started to think about this two days from departing. Eastbound we are definitely loosing time. All assistance and comments are very much appreciated. :eek:

HI, All those experienced Transatlantic cruise travelers: Questions: From Florida to UK how many hours a day do you loose? Will we want to eat dinner at 3AM at some point? Does it leave one with a jet lag kind of effect, or no problem? Eeekkk , I just started to think about this two days from departing. Eastbound we are definitely loosing time. All assistance and comments are very much appreciated. :eek:

We were on the Vision a year ago eastbound- believe it was about 6 days that at noon we turned the clocks forward an hour- so you never even felt it. Was told it was up to the Capt. discretion how to do it, Capt Luz liked the noon change as it did not impact sleep hours of the crew.

You only lose 1 hour a day......for 5 days. You won't even notice it upon reaching the UK. The problem of jet lag occurs when you lose those 5 hours in one day while flying. There are many ways to handle the time difference. For me, I really don't notice it..and don't give in to it. Other people are greatly affected.

:D

We are currently on Adventure sailing from Miami to Southampton. We left St Maarten and then each day at 5 minutes past midday for the next 4 days we put the clocks on +1 hour.

This meant that when we reached Ponta Delgada in the Azores we were still 1 hour behind the UK.

The next day when we left the Azores, again we put the clocks forward +1 hour at 12:05 pm. So from then on and for our final 2 days at sea before reaching Southampton we are on the same time as the UK.

You should lose 5 hours total but the timing is up to the captain. Sometimes he considers the staff's lack of sleep and adjusts it to be more advantageous for them. They do it one hour a day though. Monitor your daily.

I think the time change going east makes it easier to adjust so that you will be "set" once you reach the ports in Europe. It is better for being back to normal for visiting Europe.

If you move on to different ports, you will lose one more hour- for ex. Copenhagen.

While 5 hours is the "standard" time change between the US east coast and the UK, it will vary with daylight savings, as the US and UK don't observe the same day to change back and forth. So, twice a year, it can be 4 or 6 hours. Also, there is a difference between the UK and mainland Europe that also depends on daylight savings differences.

The dates for Summer Time are harmonised across Europe these days.

Yeah, been a few years since I was on a ship over there. It used to be difficult going between Antwerp and Gravesend, and trying to remember what time each was on.

You will lose a total of five hours but only an hour a day so your body has time to adjust. We have made eastbound ta's on Celebrity, Oceania, and NCL. Those cruise lines make the time adjustment at night. So, on each of five nights we had to set our clocks an hour ahead, losing an hour of sleep. Not hard to adjust our bodies to the total change.