7 mile beach - worth it?

abisha

Going on the Freedom April 15 (Key West/GrandCayman/Ocho Rios. We want to make our full beach day in Grand Cayman. Is 7 mile beach the best GC has to offer? What would you recommend? Having shade, beach chairs and changing facility and food/drinks nearby is a must for us. Should I take an excursion (tiki getaway excursion doesn't always seem to get great reviews). If not, can we easily get a cab to/from? Looking for lots of advice on this.

Thanks,

Lynne

Seven Mile Beach is nice and makes for an inexpensive day. Beautiful beach and water. You can take a cab or the bus. If I remember they are the same type vehicles just different license plates?? The bus is about $2 each way and the cab maybe $6.

There are tons of nice places to stop with restaurants and chair/umbrella rentals at the typical $10 or so. We always just ask the driver for a really good place and have always been happy.

Just allow plenty of time for the tenders back to ship. The lines can be longggggg

We were just in GC on Feb 2nd..we easily caught a "bus" (really a gray minivan) on the main street near the tender pier..just watch for the ones that say WB..West Bay. Its 2 bucks per person. You just flag them down, there aren't any bus stops that are obvious. Sometimes the van driver would just be shouting out the window "going to the beach?". We got dropped off at Calico Jacks..food, drinks, chairs, showers, souveniers, etc. They don't charge for chairs, but expect you to order food or drinks. We stayed a couple of hours, nice swimming/snorkling right at the beach, and easily caught another bus back to the pier. Its maybe 10 minutes away. There are quite a few beach bars/restaraunts along 7 mile beach. Very nice! Enjoy!

We were just in GC on Feb 2nd..we easily caught a "bus" (really a gray minivan) on the main street near the tender pier..just watch for the ones that say WB..West Bay. Its 2 bucks per person. You just flag them down, there aren't any bus stops that are obvious. Sometimes the van driver would just be shouting out the window "going to the beach?". We got dropped off at Calico Jacks..food, drinks, chairs, showers, souveniers, etc. They don't charge for chairs, but expect you to order food or drinks. We stayed a couple of hours, nice swimming/snorkling right at the beach, and easily caught another bus back to the pier. Its maybe 10 minutes away. There are quite a few beach bars/restaraunts along 7 mile beach. Very nice! Enjoy!

What did you think of Calico Jacks? And did they have the WOW balls still? We are headed there next month and have heard mixed reviews on Calico Jacks. But great reviews of 7Mile beach.

The first two times I went to 7 mile beach the cab driver dropped us off in a less populated area of the beach and it was FANTASTIC. Last time we took a big bus and they dropped us off at Grape Park (something like that). For me, that area was too crowded and I missed the secluded area. Try to get that!

Depends on if you want a cheap day, or the best beach. I think Rum Point is head and shoulders above 7 Mile Beach. We were at Royal Palms on 7 Mile and it wasn't anything to write home about. Flat, populated stretch of beach looking like any other I've ever been on in the states. Rum Point, however is gorgeous. Trees overhanging, loungers, great food/drinks, awesome atmostphere. UNlike any beach I've been on before or since.

7 MILE

2853017640071447156S500x500Q85.jpg

2928568270071447156S500x500Q85.jpg

PUM POINT

2827438820071447156S500x500Q85.jpg

2215897680071447156S500x500Q85.jpg

2383588560071447156S500x500Q85.jpg

Depends on if you want a cheap day, or the best beach. I think Rum Point is head and shoulders above 7 Mile Beach. We were at Royal Palms on 7 Mile and it wasn't anything to write home about. Flat, populated stretch of beach looking like any other I've ever been on in the states. Rum Point, however is gorgeous. Trees overhanging, loungers, great food/drinks, awesome atmostphere. UNlike any beach I've been on before or since.

7 MILE

PUM POINT

I visited Rum Point on '07 on a Carnival Excursion. Loved it. We came in by boat after stingray city, so I'm clueless as to any other way to get there. Is it accessible by taxi or do you need to be on an excursion?

Sea Grape Beach, which is a farther part of 7 mile beach, is nice. You can rent chairs, umbrellas, water sports stuff, etc. There's a great little bar & grill there called Calico Jakcs. Taxis to & from are easy to grab, around $5PP. Grand Cayman is a bit expensive, but that water is BEAUTIFUL.

7 MILE

PUM POINT

I was going to do the excursion that went to the Starfish instead of Rum Point to save a few bucks (we are a family of 5 so almost $100) but after seeing these pics, I may have to rethink that. :D

Going on the Freedom April 15 (Key West/GrandCayman/Ocho Rios. We want to make our full beach day in Grand Cayman. Is 7 mile beach the best GC has to offer? What would you recommend? Having shade, beach chairs and changing facility and food/drinks nearby is a must for us. Should I take an excursion (tiki getaway excursion doesn't always seem to get great reviews). If not, can we easily get a cab to/from? Looking for lots of advice on this.

Thanks,

Lynne

never had a chance to find out!

we love it there, and head there every visit. never even thought about going to another beach.

I visited Rum Point on '07 on a Carnival Excursion. Loved it. We came in by boat after stingray city, so I'm clueless as to any other way to get there. Is it accessible by taxi or do you need to be on an excursion?

Most people just rent a car for the day and head over there. From what I read, it's pretty simple and cost effective. Taxi rates I've read are pretty outrageous. We went on a Jeep tour of the island and it was by far the most impressive thing we saw.

Run Point looks gorgeous. Any idea what a taxi would cost..even if outrageous..may still be worth it vs. any other Carnival excursion. Also, are there plenty of taxi's hanging around when you are ready to leave? I would hate to be stuck there and panicking about getting back to the ship.

Run Point looks gorgeous. Any idea what a taxi would cost..even if outrageous..may still be worth it vs. any other Carnival excursion. Also, are there plenty of taxi's hanging around when you are ready to leave? I would hate to be stuck there and panicking about getting back to the ship.

I didn't notice the taxi situation, we were there on a jeep tour. I think I've read others giving advice that if you do book a taxi, to arrange for a pick up from them. I'm thinking the taxi fare was like $80 one way or so. Versus the $50 for the day for a car rental.

Also a great fan of Rumpoint beach - gorgeous - but hard to get to by 'land'. I believe it is also about $80 each way by cab as it is across the island.

We booked thru Nativways watersports (rays, reef and rumpoint) cost was about $65 pp and included lunch so it was a good deal at the time. Would love to go back to Rumpoint again - but agree that 7 mile is a more 'cost-saving' option!

2543269210059010061S600x600Q85.jpg

2962379000059010061S600x600Q85.jpg

2694018920059010061S600x600Q85.jpg

2429822830059010061S600x600Q85.jpg

2841030230059010061S600x600Q85.jpg

Wow! I guess taxi is too much..so forget that. Booking excursion w/rays looks nice too, but from what I'm reading you're not at Rum Point for very long...Carnival's excusion shows you are there for only 1 1/2 hrs. ..too short for me. Too bad..it looks perfect.

So if I do go to 7 mile, any other suggestions for a "less crowded" beach area, but with chairs/umbrellas, bathrooms and food? And is it that gorgeous "blue/clear" water?

Archived