What in the World is the Blimp Attached to Oasis of the Seas?

What on earth is this thing? (Choose all that apply.)  

362 members have voted

1. 1. What on earth is this thing? (Choose all that apply.)

• Weather station
    • The first flying bar at sea
    • Escape pod in case of abandon ship
    • Blimp cam -- an eye on the sun deck
    • Hindenburg memorial
    • Spa capsule
    • Blimp ride
    • Other (please post)

This weekend, Oasis of the Seas took part in its first sea trials ... and the ship wasn't alone. Onlookers witnessed Oasis dragging around a mysterious passenger -- a large, blimp-like object -- by a long cord. The blimp thing is actually an aerostat, a lighter-than-air contraption that's been used for a number of things (weather measurements, rides, bird control, lifting cameras). But what would Royal Caribbean use it for (if they do in fact use it)? The line didn't return our phone calls for comment, so we thought we'd ask you.

Check out the photos from the sea trial, then vote in our poll: If blimpy makes the cut, what'll it be used for?

To prevent paparazzi aircraft from getting too close. Barrage balloons refer to similar blimps that were deployed near ships and other installations to prevent aircraft from buzzing and bombing. The steel cables that held the ballons were a threat to such aircraft.

(it's worth a shot)

While setting up new radar are they using the blimp to determine the blind spots?

Maybe used to catch lightning like in Back to the future,The ship has a flux capacitor and needs 10,000 jigawatts to power a blender.

We think it is a new kinda fish finder. It can sea far ahead and tell us where the fish are. We balcony guests will now know when to throw our lines over.

Seriously, would love to try it and take many photos from up there.

RCCL can drop the "Get out There" and now say, "Get Up There!"

Rick and Deirdra

It's obviously a tethered ride. The bucket will probably hold 5 to 7 guests, with a minder to ensure safety. Guests could take pictures and video of the throngs and activities below, and bask in the sheer excitement while aloft. My guess is there'd be 2 trips every hour, each lasting 20 minutes, for a fee, of course.

Let's see. Even if we calculate on the low end all the way around we have a minimum charge of $25 per person, times 5 people, times 2 trips per hour, times, say, 12 hours per day, times an average 7 day cruise, giving RC a gross of $21000, minus operating expenses and salaries of say $6000, netting RC an average of $15000 a week, and that's just the ride itself, not counting the associated merchandise sales of mugs, pens, refrigerator magnets, and t-shirts with "I Flew Above the Oasis" emblazoned on the front, which would probably net another $5000 per week. If we say RC projects Oasis to sail 45 weeks per year then we're talking about an absolute minimum of $900,000 pure profit per year, which is nothing to sneeze at.

I say RC finds a way to make it work.

You heard it here first. :)

I'll take my winnings in Krugerrands please. :D

And how much free publicity and advertising will RCCL get from this? It will be on every news channel, in most papers, many magazines and You Tube, etc. How much will that send to the bottom line? As shareholders, and future blimp riders, we like the idea.

And, how soon can we print our boarding pass?

Rick and Deirdra

The intent will be to give guests a view like none other aboard the hot air ballon....but as Royal Caribbean Chairman Richard Fain commented on his blog ..

that it was an experiment, offering the following comment: "The idea is interesting, but it has such a cornucopia of practical issues that I give it less than a 50 percent chance of being used on Oasis. If we don't use it on the ship, I will consider it just another of the many ideas our people develop that didn't work."

They are "Floating" the idea of giving hot air balloon rides....which sounds good in theory...but could be disastrous and will likely not make on to the Oasis.---Imagine one malfunctioning and falling...?

A quick study of the Aerostat shows that one of the manufactures..GE was given a Govt. Contract..then had it revoked because of Failure....they often fell to the ground and did not stay inflated for the lenght of time they were supposed to.

Imagine the Liability suits RC would wind up with...===NOT GONNA HAPPEN

And how much free publicity and advertising will RCCL get from this? It will be on every news channel, in most papers, many magazines and You Tube, etc. How much will that send to the bottom line? As shareholders, and future blimp riders, we like the idea.

And, how soon can we print our boarding pass?

Rick and Deirdra

We want the seats right next to you:D

I'm skeptical about using this for a "hot air balloon ride". As others have said, the logistics/risks are too high.

However, it could remain tethered all the time, with remote automated camera. Better than a "view from the bridge", how about a "view of your ship" channel? Or a chance to buy a photo of your ship sailing the sea? With appropriate zoom, have pax stand on a marked circle and get a personal photo of you, from the air?

Could there be a photographer in there snapping aerial photos of the Oasis?

I'm skeptical about using this for a "hot air balloon ride". As others have said, the logistics/risks are too high.

However, it could remain tethered all the time, with remote automated camera. Better than a "view from the bridge", how about a "view of your ship" channel? Or a chance to buy a photo of your ship sailing the sea? With appropriate zoom, have pax stand on a marked circle and get a personal photo of you, from the air?

I love the personalized aerial picture idea!!

Archived