Funicular railway

lianaks

Those who have been to Bergen, can I pay for the Funicular railway in U.S. dollars or do I have to exchange the money first? How much does it cost round trip per person?

LS.

Last year:

2009Boudicca31702-vi.jpg

Maybe it helps if you see to the right...

the logos of

Master Card and Visa...

Regards

HeinBloed

Those who have been to Bergen, can I pay for the Funicular railway in U.S. dollars or do I have to exchange the money first? How much does it cost round trip per person? LS.

From this website:

http://www.floibanen.com/prices-and-tickets

it indicates: "The ticket and access system for the Fløibanen Funicular is electronic. There are ticket machines at all the Fløibanen stations, including the lower station and up on Fløyen, where passengers can purchase tickets. The ticket machines are based on cash payment with coins (1, 5, 10 and 20 kroner coins) or notes (50, 100 or 200 kroner). The ticket machines are based on self service and have a smaller selection of ticket types than that available at the ticket office." This website also indicate that there is a ticket office where they process groups and other type of tickets. I assume that the ticket office will have the capability to do credit cards, etc. The faster ticket machines are clearly just for use with Norway coins. One of the pdf versions of the brochure confirms that "Tickets can also be bought cash or by credit card (Visa, Mastercard)."

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

When we were there a few years ago they did not take USD (why would they) but there is an ATM at the bottom of the hill at the bank just get some NOK before going up to the ticket office

Not sure we should exchange the money for lunch or snack while in Norway port.

Have you already negotiated the interests for a new mortgage on your house???

Even you are going here... (feet of the hill of the Flöi-Funicular-Station):

2009Boudicca31016-vi.jpg

you will become shareholder...

Regards

HeinBloed

Is the funicular accessible for someone in a wheelchair? We were told this was a "must do!" in Bergen, but I don't know if I can get on it..

As for food...yes, we know that Norway is very expensive...but we absolutely do not plan to eat at McDonalds! :eek: We don't even go there here at home! Our plan is to eat a good breakfast and lunch, find snacks for dinner (which is the most expensive meal!)...but this IS a once-in-a lifetime adventure and we're not going to go cheap!

Is the funicular accessible for someone in a wheelchair? We were told this was a "must do!" in Bergen, but I don't know if I can get on it..

If I remember properly:

2009Boudicca31718-vi.jpg

the highest level of the compartments was prepared with an access for wheelchairs.

But you can contact them on their website and pre-check:

http://www.floibanen.com/visartikkel.asp?art=314

The only question: can you handle to get approx. 200 yards upwards a small hill to reach the valley station:

2009Boudicca31701-vi.jpg

Indeed the visit and ride was worth the money and it was spectacular:

2009Boudicca31714-vi.jpg

2009Boudicca31801-vi.jpg

Regards

HeinBloed

The funicular is wheel chair accessable, and there is a large nice paved area at the top of the mountain with good views.

Problem is how to get you from the port to the funicular. We walked, but I can't see taking a wheelchair that far. Probably would need to get a taxi.

The funicular is wheel chair accessable, and there is a large nice paved area at the top of the mountain with good views.

Problem is how to get you from the port to the funicular. We walked, but I can't see taking a wheelchair that far. Probably would need to get a taxi.

Thanks for the tip! We're prepared to use cabs nearly everywhere.. :o

Thank you for the information and pictures, Bergen is very nice and beatiful, I am excited!

Seems like I should do ATM and has to make sure to get what I needs. It is very hard to exchange money and to use it all specially not knowing how much other things we might need to buy. But I do know we need 70 NOK for the Funicular railway;)

THANKS, Heinbloed, for the excellent pictures on this Funicular railway, Bergen, etc.! It's very help to "SEE IT". A picture is worth a thousand words! From the website for Funicular railway, they have some great pictures, both daytime and in the evening, that show the wonderful views from that site. You can download those pictures. They are at a high definition level and are really helpful to get an overall picture of where the key attractions are in Bergen, plus show the nice way in which this city sits with the water and mountains around it. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

THANKS, Heinbloed, for the excellent pictures on this Funicular railway, Bergen, etc.! It's very help to "SEE IT". A picture is worth a thousand words! From the website for Funicular railway, they have some great pictures, both daytime and in the evening, that show the wonderful views from that site. You can download those pictures. They are at a high definition level and are really helpful to get an overall picture of where the key attractions are in Bergen, plus show the nice way in which this city sits with the water and mountains around it. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

... and you can see the distance to your ship (subject you are not with Hurtigruten):

on the right you see our cruise ship at the cruise terminal...

The valley station of the Funicular railways is at the inner end of the right bay (Bryggen) - more or less.

The lenght of our ship BOUDICCA is 194 yard. Now you can roughly calculate how many ship lenght it would be to the end of the mouth and add one more ship lenght from here to the valley station.

Regards

HeinBloed

Archived