Aos doa

Just read on our Roll Call that the Adventure of the Seas, which I am supposed to be boarding in 5 days is currently stuck in St. Kitts with a busted propeller.... Not really panicking because I'm going on vacation NO MATTER WHAT!! But just curious as to what would happen if it's not fixed in time? Do they cancel our cruise or send in another ship? I imagine they are all pretty busy this time of year.... anyone have any experience with this?

Depends on the extent of damage. Adventure has 3 azipods (propellers), so it's not totally disabled with one stopped. Indy had one non-functional azipod for months and they kept running cruises.

Oh my! It's due for dry dock very soon, (sometime in April) don't know what you can expect in 5 days, but they might bring her in early if it's not an easy fix :confused:

Keep us posted if you hear from them! Fingers crossed that your vaca can go as planned!

Oh my! It's due for dry dock very soon, (sometime in April) don't know what you can expect in 5 days, but they might bring her in early if it's not an easy fix :confused:

Yeah, this is what I was worried about... I think the cruise I'm on next week is it's last before the refit.... I can see them dragging it in early. The person on the ship said they had an extra day in St. Kitts and already cancelled the ABC's...

Wondering what is going to happen, since her next port of call is Aruba and tomorrow she is suppose to be at sea.

This is what CC member Jetscot said about it:

Bad news for us. Propeller blew up and we're stranded in St Kitts overnight. Revised itinerary. No Aruba or Curaçao. Possibly Antigua tomorrow. St Martin overnight and then St Croix. Hope all is well for next week. So disappointed.

Yeah, this is what I was worried about... I think the cruise I'm on next week is it's last before the refit.... I can see them dragging it in early. The person on the ship said they had an extra day in St. Kitts and already cancelled the ABC's...

Too bad, Aruba & Curacao are one of the best islands to visit.

And I have a Transatlantic on her next month on hold till tomorrow!

That sounds awesome! Do you know if that's before or after the refit? I would imagine they would fix up the prop at the very least during the refit.

Don't know how long it takes to change a wheel, but would likely depend on if needing to change the whole thing or one blade, availability of parts, divers, equipment, tools, etc. Whether or not the repair is done right away or waiting for drydock may also depend on which Azipod is having the problem. If it's the center pod, it may not be a huge deal other than reduced speed and increased drag. If it's one of the two azimuthing pods, that would affect maneuverability. The center pod is fixed so would not affect as much.

Don't know how long it takes to change a wheel, but would likely depend on if needing to change the whole thing or one blade, availability of parts, divers, equipment, tools, etc. Whether or not the repair is done right away or waiting for drydock may also depend on which Azipod is having the problem. If it's the center pod, it may not be a huge deal other than reduced speed and increased drag. If it's one of the two azimuthing pods, that would affect maneuverability. The center pod is fixed so would not affect as much.

Thanks A2Mich! That was an awesome answer, I'm no pro, but I love learning about ships and planes.

Since Aruba & Curacao has been canceled, I think that speed of the ship is affected.

That combined with higher fuel consumption due to increased drag may make it too expensive to continue that far south. Or may not have enough fuel to make it that far accounting for slower speed and higher consumption.

That combined with higher fuel consumption due to increased drag may make it too expensive to continue that far south. Or may not have enough fuel to make it that far accounting for slower speed and higher consumption.

They can always refuel in Aruba or Curacao.

They can't just stick a ship in drydock...it needs a little planning..

I was on Explorer a few years back after the prop got damaged...it was NOT changed in dry dock...it was changed over the course of a few cruises while in the water....they cut the thing off in St Thomas...and we used the center pod and the one that wasn't damaged...

We moved slower, and skipped San Juan, wound up with a full day in St Thomas....and maybe that's when we added Grand Turk...I forget...

In any event, the ship does not necessarily HAVE to go into drydock..

I would like to have additional confirmation, preferably via Royal Caribbean..( I tweeted their PR dept and their main account), Cruising Power (an alert) or at the very least, a story from here at CC...

Haven't seen anything via a google search either....so.....I hope y'all get more info soon.

Called Royal...as expected, they have no info..

As for bringing in another ship? Uh, sorry, no. They don't have spare ships that they can change out like sometimes the airlines can do with their equipment..

IF and this is a BIG IF...the ship can't sail, you'd get a refund and probably a future cruise credit. That said, they do NOT want to cancel....costs too much money......

We had difficulty with loud noises coming from the back of the boat. Sometimes it sounded like a chain dragging, other times it was more of a grinding sound. You could hear it through the balcony windows. It made sitting outside on the balcony almost impossible some nights. On the comment card, I said that I hoped they got it fixed when they went into dry dock. I honestly wondered a few times if we would make it back with that loud noise. Wonder if that was the propeller or something to do with the propeller that finally broke.

We had difficulty with loud noises coming from the back of the boat. Sometimes it sounded like a chain dragging, other times it was more of a grinding sound. You could hear it through the balcony windows. It made sitting outside on the balcony almost impossible some nights. On the comment card, I said that I hoped they got it fixed when they went into dry dock. I honestly wondered a few times if we would make it back with that loud noise. Wonder if that was the propeller or something to do with the propeller that finally broke.

Which cruise was this?