Kauai- afternoon of day one

TXMary

Hi,

DH and I have booked Wings Over Kauai for the first flight of day one. I wanted day two, but it was already booked. Now I'm trying to plan out the rest of the day. I think we should be finished about 11. Too late for any of the tours. We really don't want to rent a car, but it might be our only option. We are 50 and 52. Fairly active. Any suggestions for an afternoon in Kauai, preferably without a rental car? Our cruise is in September.

I have read all the threads and suggestions, but most things require an earlier start. Is there a beach within walking distance of the ship? Anything near the ship?

Thanks!

A frequently mentioned and very nice nearby beach is Kalapaki, over at the Marriott Resort and Beach Club. You can walk from the dock (a bit hot in midday sun though), or ride the free shuttle over to the Anchor Cove shopping mall, and just walk diagonally across the street to the Marriott.

The beach is partly behind the Nawiliwili harbor breakwater, so even though this is the more exposed east side of Kauai, the waves are small to nothing, depending on the swell height outside. The swimming is great, but it's not really a good snorkeling spot, if that matters. There is a Dukes there for good lunch/dinner options, and I seem to recall a small ice cream/snack place too. You can see your ship over the palms. Be sure to wander the beautifully landscaped gardens "inside" as well-very scenic.

As everywhere in Hawai`i, the beach itself is public, however the grounds eg. the shady areas under the palms, are private. It would be respectful and appropriate to rent some beach toys, or have lunch/drinks, or otherwise be a paying customer if you want to set up on their lawn area.

We have done this twice, on both our POA cruises, but the second day instead of the first. From the number of towels from the ship around, you'll realize this is a popular destination for cruise pasengers.

It's a wonderful spot, to be so close to the rather industrial port.

Chihuahua,

Thanks for the info! That is perfect! We were hoping to do something like that on day two, so we'll just flip it and do that in the afternoon of day one. Then we can do a tour on day two instead of the beach. Perfect!

Thanks!!

...if you like to walk for exercise and see some stunning views...when you get to the beach, keep walking to the end, past the Marriott's and you'll see what appears to be just restrooms. (The front is guarded by two oversized Chinese Foo Dog statues.) Go inside past the restrooms and you'll find an elevator. Take it upstairs, and walk around the other side. You'll find yourself on a street that will give you access (and wonderful views) of the lighthouse...walk to the right. (please be courteous to golfers.) :)

You can also walk across the street and access the beautiful grounds of Kauai Lagoons Golf Course...Happy Sailing and Aloha! (We've done this walk 4 times...and have found only one other couple "discovering" this path...it will no longer be a secret after this post.) :)

Archived