Conquest Captain Boots Man off Ship for Starting A Protest !!!03/16/08 Cruise

rsjc

This is what I was hearing around the ship and did personally witness some of.

Just return from the Conquest yesterday and it was a great cruise. Late Monday evening(9pm or so) the ship’s passengers get the news that there was a very sick person on board and that we would be meeting up with an US Coastguard Helicopter late that night. And as a result of this it might compromise the Montego Bay stop. The pick up was made about 12:30am. The news around the ship was that it was a sick crew member. My cabin steward confirmed this. Hearing from folks that had GPS’s they said we turned around and started heading back some time in the early evening. (8pm or so) After the pick up was made the folks with GPS’s the next morning were saying that we were going in big circles all night and were cruising at a snails pace. I do know that part was true because that morning I went to the rear of the ship and could barely see any trail in the water behind the ship. (Barely any propeller turbulence at all) On sea day two we still were just cruising around 10 knots and in big circles according to the folks with GPS’s.

We finally get the news that we were not going to be making the scheduled stop in Montego Bay and that we would get another “Fun Day At Sea” and a “$25 per person ship board credit”. So this news made some people very upset and even madder when they found out that all the ship was offering was a $25 credit per person that was really just a reimbursement of port fees. One man on the ship starts a petition in protest for missing the port after he felt he was being lied to. He thought that we could still make the port after the four or so hour’s and that the going in circles all night and cruising very slowly all night and the next day was causing us to miss the port. This man starts a protest in front of the purser’s deck with all of his followers (around a 100 people). The purser’s deck calls the Captain; he couldn’t make the crowd happy and then the man that started all this gets very vocal with the captain. The Captain basically states I can’t do anything about it, it's out of my hands, you need to take it up with Carnival when you get back. This man is still mad and vocal so to solve everything he boots the man that started all this off the ship in Grand Cayman. That was the big news around the ship after that. Everyone one talking about did you here about that man the Captain booted off the ship for starting all that mess…

This didn't affect our cruise because I like sea days and if we were to miss a port I'm glad it was Montego Bay instead of Cayman of Cozumel. The $25 per person credit was listed on our final bill as a refundable credit.

Good for the Captain. :D Evidently that passenger didn'tr bother reading the contract he accepted. :rolleyes: Carnival does not guarantee any port & they did not have to offer the $25 OBC but that is the standard amount almost anytime a port is missed for whatever reason.

Maybe that guy will learn to read instead of running his mouth next time.

The folks with GPS’s the next morning were saying that we were going in big circles all night and were cruising at a snails pace. On sea day two we still were just cruising around 10 knots and in big circles according to the folks with GPS’s.

The Captain basically states I can’t do anything about it, it's out of my hands, you need to take it up with Carnival when you get back.

The Captain can't do anything about the ship going in big circles days after the pickup?

Yes I think this really happened. I wouldn't think so many people would have been talking about it. I did see the man on deck that day with his petition. I didn't sign it, Come to think of it I never saw him around the ship the rest of the cruise.

Doesn't Carnival offer a guarantee, stating that if for any reason you are unhappy with your cruise before the first port, they will pay to fly you home from the first port they stop in?

I'm wondering if maybe they offered this man that option and he took it... As opposed to be "kicked off" by the captain...

The Captain can't do anything about the ship going in big circles days after the pickup?

Where does it say "DAYS" after the pick up. The Pickup happened around mid night on day 1, and circling on day two. I guess they could have made it to Jamaica for a "SHORT" stop, but would it have really been worth it to waste fuel sailing top speed for only a couple of hour in port?

I say Kudos to the Captain for ejecting a trouble maker.

I thought that was a little weird too.... I guess we had a lot of time to kill??? I'm sure they saw this as a fuel saving opertunaty as well !!! you can't tell me that didn't cross their mind.

Where does it say "DAYS" after the pick up. The Pickup happened around mid night on day 1, and circling on day two. I guess they could have made it to Jamaica for a "SHORT" stop, but would it have really been worth it to waste fuel sailing top speed for only a couple of hour in port?

I say Kudos to the Captain for ejecting a trouble maker.

Me too. I think if you start trouble and go to the point where you get a following of people to help prove your point, you should be booted off.

I think on the most part everyone had a good cruise. We had Great Weather all week and the deck chairs were full every day at sea. The three sea days together was a little long because there were so many children on board. We had three with us. Made going to the beach in Grand Cayman even better.

Doesn't Carnival offer a guarantee, stating that if for any reason you are unhappy with your cruise before the first port, they will pay to fly you home from the first port they stop in?

I'm wondering if maybe they offered this man that option and he took it... As opposed to be "kicked off" by the captain...

Yep... that's the case:

Carnival's Vacation Guaranteesm

We're so confident you'll enjoy your Carnival cruise vacation, we guarantee it. Carnival is the only cruise line to offer the Vacation Guarantee. Simply book your cruise vacation and sail away on a "Fun Ship." If you are not completely satisfied with your cruise vacation experience, all you need to do is notify us before arrival at the first port of call and you must debark at your ship's first non-U.S. port of call. Carnival will refund the unused portion of your cruise fare and pay your flight back.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/static_templates/vacation-guarantee.aspx

I was there on this trip, and this man did get off the ship at Grand Cayman (where we later picked up folks that missed their Valor ship - I think that was the ship - and I'm told got his old room!). The petition did have a point, but they went about it poorly. In addition, THE CAPTAIN did not handle it properly either. He let the rumor mill run around the ship, instead of nipping it in the bud by communicating with everyone on the ship. My son came running into the bingo hall yelling to me and my wife, there's a fight in the lobby. Lots of people were taking pictures and making videos of everyone. I'm sure it'll be on youtube.com soon!!! The sick person was a crew member that had a tubal pregnancy and needed help. One person said she is recovering well now in a Mobile, Alabama hospital.

I was there on this trip, and this man did get off the ship at Grand Cayman (where we later picked up folks that missed their Valor ship - I think that was the ship - and I'm told got his old room!). The petition did have a point, but they went about it poorly. In addition, THE CAPTAIN did not handle it properly either. He let the rumor mill run around the ship, instead of nipping it in the bud by communicating with everyone on the ship. My son came running into the bingo hall yelling to me and my wife, there's a fight in the lobby. Lots of people were taking pictures and making videos of everyone. I'm sure it'll be on youtube.com soon!!! The sick person was a crew member that had a tubal pregnancy and needed help. One person said she is recovering well now in a Mobile, Alabama hospital.

I agree with you. Did they even tell everyone what the emergency was or was it a "by word of mouth." I think if they would have said "attention passangers.....one of the Conquest crew members is experiencing complications with her pregnancy....we apologize for any inconvience but this matter takes president" people would have been less inn attack dog mode. Any idiot wouldn't protest over missing a port if knowing it was THAT serious.

I'm sure if they just sugar-coated and said "sick crew member" I'm sure people would be a little pissed off, thinking big deal, sick take us to out port.

Of course the circles didn't help. What was the purpose of going in circles. I personally would be in a panic if we were just going in circles thinking something was wrong with the ship.

And I disagree that the Captain has no control over the ship's course overnight. Isn't the Captain the one who commands the ship, tells them how many knots to go, etc?:confused: If he's not in charge of the ship's course then what exactly does he do? The ship itself is his responsiblity....other ranked people can handle the crew, etc. But as far as commanding the ship, the ship's course is a big part of that. I sure no one said "lets just go in circles overnight at 10 knots" without telling the Captain...he definitely had control over that.

Of course the circles didn't help. What was the purpose of going in circles. I personally would be in a panic if we were just going in circles thinking something was wrong with the ship.

And I disagree that the Captain has no control over the ship's course overnight. Isn't the Captain the one who commands the ship, tells them how many knots to go, etc?:confused: If he's not in charge of the ship's course then what exactly does he do? The ship itself is his responsiblity....other ranked people can handle the crew, etc. But as far as commanding the ship, the ship's course is a big part of that. I sure no one said "lets just go in circles overnight at 10 knots" without telling the Captain...he definitely had control over that.

There are a few things to consider, please.

First, without doubt communications had taken place with the port in Jamaica canceling that call so returning to Jamaica probably wasn't an option even if they could have gotten there in time for a short visit in port.

Second, I don't believe that they would have had the option to merely arrive at Grand Cayman, or any other port, early. All of these calls are scheduled months in advance and such things are not easily changed. Granted it occasionally happens during hurricane season but the logistics necessary to coordinate such things are daunting!

None of these actions are taken lightly. The Captain is very aware of the impact that his decision has on the passenger's vacations and plans. Sadly, some situations simply can not be avoided.

There are a few things to consider, please.

First, without doubt communications had taken place with the port in Jamaica canceling that call so returning to Jamaica probably wasn't an option even if they could have gotten there in time for a short visit in port.

Second, I don't believe that they would have had the option to merely arrive at Grand Cayman, or any other port, early. All of these calls are scheduled months in advance and such things are not easily changed. Granted it occasionally happens during hurricane season but the logistics necessary to coordinate such things are daunting!

None of these actions are taken lightly. The Captain is very aware of the impact that his decision has on the passenger's vacations and plans. Sadly, some situations simply can not be avoided.

Very well said Mach, I totally agree. The Capt is well aware of the impact of his decision, but the life of a crewmember or passenger is more important than a missed port.

Very well said Mach, I totally agree. The Capt is well aware of the impact of his decision, but the life of a crewmember or passenger is more important than a missed port.

I agree completely. I was just commenting on someone who said something along the lines of the Captain said he had no control over the ship going in circles. Did he not say he gave the order for them to circle. I know he has no control over some things, and this incident was horrible and no one had any idea of this happening. I just hope he did tell them all he could.

The whole thing sounds like one big miscommunication if that many people joined this one man in protest. Obviously they were left out of the loop on a few things and others I suppose just didn't feel like saying anything. But something was definitely missing here for people to get that in arms about it. It couldn't just be about money because money is absolutely nothing when not one but two lives could have been lost. They had to have been told one thing then another... and probably didn't really have a clue of what was really happening

My prayers go out to that husband and wife and I hope together they can get through this tragedy:(

There must have been 2000 Captains on this cruise. Only one knew what was going on. Don't forget rumors have twice the light speed as the truth does. The other 100 people that were stupid should have been asked to follow the leader.:rolleyes: Some of these people must not have been seasoned cruisers, lots of things can happen on a cruise, you do learn to roll with it.

Archived