New Orleans

Bluedevil

I was planning to sail on the Sun in Jan 2007 from New Orleans. When I check their site, it has the Sun sailing a 7 day itenarary for the whole month of December 2006, a 5 day on Jan 21, 2007 and a 7 day on Jan 28. I had planned to go on the Jan 7, 2007 sailing but that still isn't posted on their website. They had told me to wait about another month..not sure why it would take so long to post for early-mid January since sailings are available for booking before and after that.

What are you looking at?

According to this NCL web page:

Norwegian Sun

7-Day Western Caribbean, New Orleans round-trip

2006: Nov 12, 19, 26; Dec 3, 10, 17, 24, 31

2007: Jan 7, 14, 21, 28; Feb 4, 11, 18, 25; Mar 4, 11, 18, 25; Apr 1, 8

I don't see any 5 day cruises planned next year.

You might be confused with this years' empty reposition cruise from Houston to Miami........

7-Day Western Caribbean, Houston round-trip

Norwegian Sun

2006: Jan 8

3-Day Bahamas & Florida, Miami to Miami

Norwegian Sun

2006: Jan 17

1-Day Party Cruise, Miami Round-trip

Norwegian Sun

2006: Jan 20

7-Day Eastern Caribbean, Miami round-trip

Norwegian Sun

2006: Jan 21; Feb 18; Mar 4; Apr 1, 15

Norwegian Sun

2006: Jan 21; Feb 18; Mar 4; Apr 1, 15

Norwegian Sun

2006: Feb 4; Mar 18

The gap between Jan 15 and Jan 17 is to move the Sun from Houston to Miami.

I am from New Orleans:) and I heard the cruise ships would be back in the fall of this year. I think that is the goal, but can't guarantee it! The city and surrounding areas were impaced more than what most people realize.

alrose251

Here's what the Port of New Orleans has to say:

http://www.portno.com/headline.pdf

If you read the web page, the port already has (and had) cruise ships arriving and it doesn't say anything about any plans being "not guaranteed". There are residential areas of New Orleans, especially in the east, that are heavily damaged. But the port, French Quarter, and many of the hotels are open now. Read the above link, pretty much tells the story. I'm booked on the Sun in November, more importantly, I'll be on it, boarding from the Erato Street Cruise Terminal.

Ry

What are you looking at?

According to this NCL web page:

Norwegian Sun

7-Day Western Caribbean, New Orleans round-trip

2006: Nov 12, 19, 26; Dec 3, 10, 17, 24, 31

2007: Jan 7, 14, 21, 28; Feb 4, 11, 18, 25; Mar 4, 11, 18, 25; Apr 1, 8

I don't see any 5 day cruises planned next year.

When I went to book my cruise for 2007, it showed a 5 day. This is really confusing since their brochure, and online both show the schedual you have in your message.

We are on the christmas 2006 Sun cruise and they said that I should count on cruising out of there, BUT make sure my precruise hotel is cancelable. This is hard as I can't get air tickets or anything yet,.. oh well it will be an adventure, I personally would love to see nwe orleans and would go in a few days early, I hope the city is getting back on it's feet- more importantly I hope measures have been taken to help protect it in the future.

So is it wise to NOT book a cruise on NCL out of New Orleans right now then?
NCL is firmly planning on operating the Sun from New Orleans after she returns from her Alaska season. I'm booked for early December, and NCL is making many New Orleans plans and bookings for the ex-UK pax who are all on packages which include air travel and pre-cruise hotel stays in New Orleans.

Nothing in life is guaranteed (save death and taxes), but I'm personally happy with the current situation.

I second the motion of sparing New Orleans (and the region) this coming year. I have an AB also in Nov. Just going to have a little faith. I'm saying this while sitting in my FEMA trailer in my backyard. I believe NCL and some of the other cruise lines (to be fair) are taking a chance also. As a native of New Orleans, I appreciate that. Part of my business is derived from the port.

Regarding cruises and various ports, voyages out of New Orleans get a ride (slow ride) down the Mississippi. It's really nice and different from most other ports, at least in the US.

So let's hope for no hurricanes, or floods, or levee breaks, or evacuations, or blue roofs, or MRE's, or cruise ships being used for housing rather than cruises :eek: and may the lucky stars shine on FEMA, Corps of Engineers, Orleans Dock board, etc etc etc........ Amen :p

Happy Cruising,

Ry

This morning I booked an AB cabin on the Sun for Jan 28th 2007.

These just hope the Hurricane season spares New Orleans this year.

This is the cruise we were considering, but I'm not sure if I'm able to handle the nerves that would go along with it (as far as not knowing what will happen in NO between now and then). I spoke to my TA yesterday and she said that it's safe to book it. She said to just not book airfare or hotel until closer to the sail date.

I'm one to get everything over with as far in advance as possible.....:(

I spoke to my TA yesterday and she said that it's safe to book it. She said to just not book airfare or hotel until closer to the sail date.(
There's no reason why you shouldn't book a hotel now. Many (probably most) hotel bookings are cancellable without penalty - just make sure you know what the deadline is.

Air travel is slightly different, though - I'd agree with your TA on this, unless you want to book a flexible ticket.

And the cruise will definitely happen. The worst thing that can happen is a change of departure port.

I know this has probably been asked, and answered, numerous times...but what are the possible replacement departure ports for the Sun if she can't sail out of New Orleans? And, if she were to sail out of, let's say Birmingham just for the sake of argument, would she return to Birmingham or would she possibly return to NO?

I'm just trying to figure out my options with air/hotel/transfers etc. I would really like to book this cruise and feel comfortable with it.

Thanks!

I'd pay good money to see Sun sail out of Birmingham seeing as it's 250 miles inland. Mobile maybe. Houston probably.

LOL please excuse my 'blonde moment'. Thinking Mobile, typing Birmingham. :o

Let's just pretend I have a huge amount of faith in NCL and their ability to please no matter what the terrain! ;)

Uh, I'm scheduled on NCL Sun for the Nov 12, 2006 cruise which was the original starting date, but now NCL will repo the ship there in mid-October.

As for worrying about what next hurricane season brings, any port along the gulf or east coast is fair game. Like they say with stocks or gambling, past performance is no guarantee of future performance...

I was booked on a Nov 2005 Sun cruise that was supposed to leave out of NOLA but left out of Houston. NCL gave a shipboard $100 credit and Southwest offered a refund on ticket or a no cost change to Houston. I took the refund and booked a cheaper flight to Houston - no problem.

Also was supposed to be on the Grandeur out of NOLA, Christmas, 2005, but they went from 7 to 5 day and Florida and we cancelled, without penalty.

Born and raised in New Orleans, I've been back a number of times since Katrina. Cruising will begin again out of New Orleans in 2006. No worries.

zydecocruiser, I'm in AZ also. Have you found that Southwest has the best fares to New Orleans? Did they offer the refund/change because of the circumstances involved or is that just how Southwest is in general?

Thank you!

The refund/exchange I was speaking of was specifically due to those affected by Katrina (passengers or cruise ships).

Sometimes I like Southwest, sometimes not. Pre-Katrina, they had a nonstop or two to/from New Orleans, but not anymore.

From a cruise perspective - one of the things I do like about Southwest is that they still allow up to 3 checked bag - each 50 pounds.

Normally, Southwest requires you to upgrade a discount fare to fullfare if you want to make a last minute change, however, if the flight you are scheduled on is "scheduled" to be over XX minutes late, you can change at no charge.

Overall, I have to say I mostly fly Southwest to NOLA, but also fly Continental and American and have flown America West

Hope this helps.

{I believe XX = 15 minutes }

• 1 month later...

Archived