Is there something WRONG with the SUN!?

rucruizin

Just booked a 10 day cruise on her for next March and since I'm a Carnival lover, I was hoping to find some onfo about this ship to comfort me. Can't find a single post for several pages that would tell me something, anything about her. It has me a little worried...thinking about heading back to the Carnival board and the Legend.

Robert & Janet

Paradise 3/99 11/99 12/00

Jubilee 3/00

Inspiration 4/8/01

Grand Princess 3/24/02

Carnival Spirit 3/03 & 1/04

Carnival Glory 3/20/04

Sun Princess 3/29/05

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Can't find a single post for several pages that would tell me something, anything about her. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> NOTHING wrong with her she is a GREAT ship!

What do you want to know about her?

The newer ships, most always, fill the pages because of all the questions about what to expect and what they are like. The PRINCESS board is very active compared to some other boards and many pages are filled in a very short time.

Future cruises:

5/04 HAL-Amsterdam-Alaska

9/04 Star Princess-Med.x2 Venice to Barcelona/ Barcelona to Rome

11/04 Dawn Princess-Southern Caribbean

Jan. 05 Diamond Princess-Mexican Riviera

July 05 Star Princess-Baltics

Aug. 05 Star Princess-Baltics

Past cruises:

04 Dawn Princess- Southern Caribbean x2

03 Grand Princess-W.Caribbean

03 Sun Princess -Mexico

03-Tahitian Princess-Tahiti/ Cook Islands

03 Royal Princess-x2 British Isles & Norwegian Fjords/ Iceland

03 Island Princess-Panama Canal

01 HAL Ryndam x 2-S. America San Diego to Valpariso/ & around Cape Horn to Rio

00 Sky Princess-China/Orient

79 Sitmar's Fairwind- Caribbean/Panama Canal

Hi!

We were on the Sun Princess last November, and it was a lovely ship. We enjoyed our cruise, and I would be glad to answer any questions you might have. I'm sure there will be other, and more recent, Sun cruisers along, to also answer your questions. As far as I know, there was nothing wrong with the sun........we never felt any movement for ten days in the Southern Caribbean, and we were on the Riviera Deck on the top of the ship. Perhaps some March cruisers will post to give you March weather situations.

Have a great time!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;4;4;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Hawaii - On the Island

I am booked on her for next March too. What is the date of your cruise? <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rucruizin:

Just booked a 10 day cruise on her for next March and since I'm a Carnival lover, I was hoping to find some onfo about this ship to comfort me. Can't find a single post for several pages that would tell me something, anything about her. It has me a little worried...thinking about heading back to the Carnival board and the Legend.

Robert & Janet

Jubilee 3/00

Inspiration 4/8/01

Grand Princess 3/24/02

Carnival Glory 3/20/04

Sun Princess 3/29/05<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

3/9/05 Eastern Caribbean

Sun Princess

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by westerdam42:

I am booked on the sun March 9, 2005. I will be sure to let you know how it goes!! <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rucruizin:

Robert & Janet

Jubilee 3/00

Inspiration 4/8/01

Grand Princess 3/24/02

Carnival Glory 3/20/04

Sun Princess 3/29/05<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

3/9/05 Eastern Caribbean

Sun Princess<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

3/9/05 Eastern Caribbean

Sun Princess

I am leaving on the Sun for Alaska tomorrow.Will post review when I return. Meanwhile go to the "Sun"cruise reviews at the top of the page. There is a really informative one by"Cruiser".

I listed this cruise under the roll calls and had no replies. Seems Sun cruisers haven't found these boards yet!!

SUN PRINCESS MAY 17TH 04

Just be aware that if you've booked a balcony cabin, the entire cabin (INCLUDING balcony!) is only 179 sq. ft. That was a deal breaker for us. As much as we like Princess, we opted for the Celebrity Summit 10 day for next March (originally thought about the Sun 2/27 sailing). Their balcony cabins are more in keeping with the standard balcony sizes of newer ships (191 sq. ft. cabin and balcony is an additional 41 sq. ft.).

caribbeanqueen3@comcast.net

I was on the Sun last month and loved it. It is in as good shape as much newer ships. I was a little aprehesive too since it was built in 1995, but you really can't tell it is more than a year or two old. I tend to believe that the crew makes or breaks a cruise, and the Sun's crew was the best I have had the pleasure of cruising with. It's a tough call for me because the Golden had been my favorite cruise. I think the Sun might have moved into the top spot though!

If you have any specific questions post them and I will try to answer.

4/04 Sun Princess

12/03 Grand Princess

7/02 Monarch of the Seas

3/02 Golden Princess

12/97 Mississippi Queen

5/94 Russian River Cruise MS Tolstoy?? err... something like that

We booked an aft mini-suite, I hope we won't be disappointed!!!<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jerseygirl3:

Just be aware that if you've booked a balcony cabin, the entire cabin (INCLUDING balcony!) is only 179 sq. ft. That was a deal breaker for us. As much as we like Princess, we opted for the Celebrity Summit 10 day for next March (originally thought about the Sun 2/27 sailing). Their balcony cabins are more in keeping with the standard balcony sizes of newer ships (191 sq. ft. cabin and balcony is an additional 41 sq. ft.).

caribbeanqueen3@comcast.net) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

3/9/05 Eastern Caribbean

Sun Princess

you won't be disapointed , the Sun is a wonderful ship I was on her in Oct of last year. I'm hoping she will be back in the Caribbean in Oct of 2005, I want to sail her again in the worst way. Princess is my favorite cruise line, but the the Sun has a special place in my heart...I just love her

We were on the SUN in February of this year - we have been on the SUN 4 times - once when nearly new - She is just as good today as she was new - the crew and officers are all great. You won't be disappointed.

NCL PRIDE OF AMERICA Oct. 2004

SUN PRINCESS 2004 Caribbean

REGAL PRINCESS 2003 Europe

GOLDEN PRINCESS 2002 Canada New England

SUN PRINCESS 2002 Panama Canal

SUN PRINCESS 2002 Mexico

DAWN PRINCESS 2001 Caribbean

DAWN PRINCESS 2001 Caribbean

SEA PRINCESS 2001 Alaska

REGAL PRINCESS 2000 Mexico

REGAL PRINCESS 1999 Panama Canal

PACIFIC PRINCESS 1999 Europe

SUN PRINCESS 1998 Caribbean

ROYAL PRINCESS 1996 Panama Canal

My understanding is that the mini suites on the Sun Princess are just like the "real" suites on the Grand Class ships. We had a balcony, BA, and it was very comfortable. The balcony was not large, but it was big enough to move the chairs and table around...........bigger than the balcony we had, a D9, on the Adventure of the Seas..............or at least it felt like it. They always look little when you first board, but once you get used to it, it's fine......... We had plenty of storage for the two of us, for ten days. And I ALWAYS take too much.... icon_smile.gif

Have a great cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;4;4;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Hawaii - On the Island

Wow,

thanks for all the great feedback.

I would like to know specifically about the exercise/spa facilities. Do they have elliptcal machines, how big is the workout facility, is there a steam room/s, seperate or co-ed, adults only hot tub, etc.

Anything else you'd like to share...favorite things about this ship, the shows, the dining experience. What were your favorite foods in the dining room at dinner?

Anyone who went on the 10 day Caribbean that stops in St. Kitts and Antigua...never been to those ports before and would like to know more about them and what you did.

Robert & Janet

Jubilee 3/00

Inspiration 4/8/01

Grand Princess 3/24/02

Carnival Glory 3/20/04

Sun Princess 3/29/05

We will be going on this cruise 10/13/04. It will be our second time on the Sun. It is a wonderful ship. The Wheelhouse bar is one of our favorite places on the ship to sit before dinner have a drink and relax. The Sun Princess is one of our favorite ships of all cruises we have been on 14 cruises. Princess, Carnival, RCCL. You will enjoy your cruise.

I was just on the Sun in April, for the 3rd time. She is a beautiful ship - still in excellent shape. I agree with BullinOhio that the staff on the Sun is wonderful.

Food wise my favorite place is Verdi's for the individual pizzas. They are wonderful! We did personal choice dining and the menus were the same as on past Princess cruises. I really wish they would mix the menus up a bit! But, the food was still good and we would go and look at the dining room menu each day and then decide if we wanted to eat there or somewhere else. We definitely did not go hungry.

I can't answer your question about the gym, because I didn't visit use it. I will say that I love the size of the Sun Class ship - much easier to get around then on the Grand Class. Very intimate feeling, beautiful atrium area, nice public areas. The balcony cabins are a bit small to me after having a mini on the Grand - but your mini on the Sun will be awesome.

I'm sure you are going to love this ship and Princess. I much prefer Princess to Carnival. I think you will be pleased! icon_biggrin.gif

<BODY>

Joyride

View my pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/jverette

fish2.gif

Coral Princess - Panama Canal 4/7/2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=221100&cdt=2005;4;07;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Sun Princess - Caribbean Medley 4/9/2004

Grand Princess - Eastern Caribbean 8/3/2003

Grand Princess - Western Caribbean 4/6/2003

RCL Radiance - Pacific Northwest 9/2002

Star Princess - Alaska 8/2002

Crown Princess - Fall Foliage 9/2001

Sun Princess - Panama Canal 2000

Carnival Elation - Mexican Riveria 1998

The Old Star Princess - Eastern Caribbean 1997

Sun Princess - Western Carribean 1996

RCL Viking Serenade - Baja Mexico 1994

We were on the Sun in March for our first cruise. We loved the ship and are going on the Dawn next March. My DH & friend went to the gym every day at 6 am. There are elliptcal machines, no steam room that they found, co-ed, and as far as I know there is no "adults only" hot tub. But in fact there were hardly any kids on this cruise. The gym is a med size and it was not crowded if you got there before 7. They are early riser so that was not a problem. We did not go to the spa at all so can't comment on it. Have fun!!

March 30, 2005 Dawn Princess

March 30, 2004 Sun Princess

We'll be on the Sun in November. We're really excited with the itinerary. For joyride, (and others) I'd like to hit you up with some questions regarding the personal choice dining. Are the menus the same for personal choice as in the traditional dining room or are there variations. I think I've read that once you choose either traditional or personal choice you have to stick with it. Also, does anyone know how many formal nights are on the 10-day? Any semi-formal nights? Last 10-day a few years ago there were 3 formal and 2 semi-formal nights. I've heard recently that there's more casual nights. We may come up with more questions soon, but just got off the Conquest and need to get back to the grind right now.

Check out our pictures: http://community.webshots.com/user/natron24

Premier Royale 7/87

Sovereign of the Seas 11/90

Enchanted Seas 4/91

Ecstasy 11/91

Celebration 6/92

Crown Princess 11/92

Enchanted Seas 12/92

Tropicale 6/93

Crown Princess 11/93

Enchanted Seas 12/93

Celebration 6/94

Regal Princess 10/94

Enchanted Seas 12/94

Tropicale 4/95

Regal Princess 10/95

Enchanted Isle 5/96

Enchanted Isle 8/96

Crown Princess 10/96

Nieuw Amsterdam 4/97

Enchanted Isle 9/97

Celebration 10/97

Enchanted Isle 4/98

Norwegian Star 7/98

Celebration 11/98

Enchanted Isle 12/98

Norwegian Sea 5/99

Enchanted Isle 11/99

Enchanted Isle 5/00

Destiny 11/00

Inspiration 5/01

Celebrity Century 11/01

Explorer of the Seas 11/02

Carnival Conquest 5/03

Rhapsody of the Seas 11/03

Carnival Conquest 5/04

Sun Princess 11/04

Fishes_kiss.gif

It's been several years since I was on the Sun but I loved her. I've also been on two of her sister ships, the Ocean and the Sea Princess and they were great.

My favorite spot on these ships is the library where they have large and comfortable leather chairs with hassocks for reading. They also look out over the ocean.

The only downside that I remember is the internet room which was horrible but hopefully, that's changed and been updated.

Song of Norway & Song of America, 1986-88; Royal Princess 2/99; Sun Princess 1/00; Ocean Princess 12/00; Royal Princess 4/01; Grand Princess 12/23/01; Sea Princess 2/9/02; Explorer of the Seas 12/21/02; Coral Princess 8/9/03; Nordic Empress 12/27/03; Regal Princess (4/20/04)

-- Caribbean Princess (12/26/04) -- Roll Call

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0099FF&cdt=2004;12;26;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

-- Royal Princess (4/21/05) -- Roll Call

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0099FF&cdt=2005;04;21;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

The size of the cabins on the Sun is not an issue to complain about.

As Jerseygirl stated above,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Just be aware that if you've booked a balcony cabin, the entire cabin (INCLUDING balcony!) is only 179 sq. ft. That was a deal breaker for us. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the amount of time I would choose to spend there, the bed is large enough, the closet space is large enough for a 10 day cruise, there is plenty of room to store the luggage under the bed, no problem with 2 people getting dressed at the same time and we didn't have a problem showering together because we didn't try.

The balcony was cozy, but certainly large enough for 2 chairs and a table.

Why someone would make that a deal killer when they stated they really like sailing with Princess is difficult to rationalize.

We take cruises to visit the ports of call, enjoy the days at sea on the open decks, take part in the activities and all the dining choices. If the size of the cabin and it's intended use was the most critical issue, we would book a room at the Emabassy Suites.

That said we are taking our next cruise on the Sun next February because we love sailing on Princess and are looking forward to the brief time we will spend in the vastness of the 179 sq.ft. I guess size doesn't really matter.

Foo-Foo Chowder and Marching Society Sails again on the Sun Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;2;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Regal Princess 3/92

Regal Princess 2/94

Crown Princess 2/97

Norwegian Dream 3/00

Grand Princess 3/01

Coral Princess 3/03

Sun Princess 2/04

Sun Princess 2/05

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Just booked a 10 day cruise on her for next March and since I'm a Carnival lover, I was hoping to find some onfo about this ship to comfort me. Can't find a single post for several pages that would tell me something, anything about her. It has me a little worried...thinking about heading back to the Carnival board and the Legend. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> icon_rolleyes.gif If the fact that there are no posts about a ship makes you decide whether or not to book it, you might want to go back to Carnival. I posted a full review on Sun Princess at the end of March after my 10 days cruise on her…you can probably find it if you search…

-------------------------

Sun Princess, 03/2004; Pacific Princess, 07/2003; Star Princess, 05/2003; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Sun Princess, 05/2001; Sun Princess, 04/2001; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Regal Princess, 10/1999; Sun Princess, 08/1998; Holiday, 05/1998; Westerdam, 09/1997; Regal Princess, 11/1996; Royal Odyssey, 09/1995; Starward, 11/1993

For anyone interested the Sun Princess is sitting in Vancouver harbour this very moment. I just walked down and had lunch and enjoyed watching everyone getting her ready to move on.

Just wanted to add my vote for the sun princess

We sailed on her last month in an aft mini- suite. FANTASTIC!!!!

Previous Princess cruise was on the Ocean Princess in a BB. That was our first "balcony" cabin and remains a wonderful memory. We never felt cramped.

The Sun Class ships are IMHO wonderful for service, food and negotiating your way around. Big enough to stand pround around other ships in berth, but intimate enough to make us feel at home very quickly.....and classy!

We are trying the Coral next April but feel we may still go back on the Sun.

Grego, that's your opinion and I respect it. But you certainly didn't have to diss me for my feelings. I like to cruise...I don't spend my vacation at an Embassy Suites hotel. But we do like roomy cabins. We usually cruise with other couples (generally two other couples besides ourselves). We like to entertain in our cabins (i.e., before-dinner cocktails). Or just hang out together on our balcony from time to time. We've had a mini-suite on the Grand and Golden Princess and the size was perfect. We had a D1 balcony cabin on the Radiance of the Seas and the cabin size was what we will be having on the Celebrity Summit (191 sq. ft. balcony 41 sq. ft). That, at a total of 231 sq. ft., even felt a little claustrophobic to me, so I know myself, and I would't be happy in a cabin that was 179 sq. ft. INCLUDING THE BALCONY for 10 days. That's MY feeling. Not yours. I didn't complain about the size of cabin/balcony to the original poster; I was merely pointing it out because at first we were unaware of how small the cabin was and we were thisclose to booking the Sun Princess for next March until we found out the size. The mini-suites on the Sun look wonderful, but they are way out of our budget.

While I do like Princess, I am not a slave to one particular cruise line. Since we've never sailed Celebrity, the price difference was negligible and we could have a significantly larger cabin. So that's why we booked it...

caribbeanqueen3@comcast.net

icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh Brother...there is always one on every post.

Thanks to all of you who have offered the great encouragement and information. I sailed on a smaller, older Carnival ship once and 10 days was definately too long to be on that ship. I wanted to book the Sun this past March but the DH didn't want to be away from home and our puppy dogs that long. (We had just been on an 8 day in January and a couple of the dogs didn't do well.)

I'm am looking forward to sailing with Princess again. We have loved Carnival and the wonderful peolpe we have met...just looking for a notch up from the young, party hardy croud we have encountered on our past couple cruises. Hoping that we still find wonderful people to hang around and have lots of fun with.

Robert & Janet

Jubilee 3/00

Inspiration 4/8/01

Grand Princess 3/24/02

Carnival Glory 3/20/04

Sun Princess 3/29/05

Archived