To Avea Beach from Maroe Huahine

In Huahine, Princess anchors in Maroe Bay and tenders to Maroe. If one wanted to get to Avea beach I see that as a problem. No excursions from Princess or any other that I can find. No car rentals in Maroe that I can find, all are in Fare. You might..... find a taxi to Avea beach from Maroe but at the mercy of finding one back to Maroe. You might end up stranded on Avea Beach, while not a bad thing entirely, you miss the ship. Any one else make the trip?

Thanks

Barry

• 3 weeks later...

Guide books say Avea Beach is great for snorkeling. The PG stops in Huahine for the day. If we rent a car, does anyone know if Avea Beach is public? Would we be able to just drive there, park and go to the beach or is it only available to guests of the hotel (Relais Mahana I think)?

Yes, Avea Beach is supposed to be one of the best snorkelling spots on the island, but.... good luck getting there and back from Maroe. The ship docks in Maroe. From what I can see there isn't much in Maroe, just a few buildings. Why they tender to Maroe I do not know. Probably don't want to pay the dock fees in Fare. The poblem is getting a car rental in Maroe. I have beeen working on that one for a few weeks now. Talked to the Avis in Fare, very little conversation because they don't speak much english, they say yes available in Maroe when the ship gets in, but unless you have a reservation or are the first ones off the ship, good luck. I have e-mailed but they don't want to respond, probably because they don't speak english, but I can't say bad about them because I can't speak french either.

Boat Anchor..............

I have e-mailed but they don't want to respond, probably because they don't speak english, but I can't say bad about them because I can't speak french either.

Boat Anchor..............

Try http://translate.google.com/ as a resource to correspond. Yeah, certain grammar styles aren't always translated correctly in between the two languages, but a basic conversation can still be constructed and understood by both parties.

My understanding of French is limited to only a little vocabulary and some basic phrases, and so I have actually used a web language translator to successfully conduct a conversation w/ service providers in French speaking countries.

Give it a try.

When we were on Huahine (while we took a snorkel/picnic tour that day in port), there was an Avis rep at the docks in Maroe and there were rental cars available.

"there was an Avis rep at the docks in Maroe and there were rental cars available."

Yes I am not doubting that but..... Unless you are in the first ones off the ship you might get to the front of the line and find out the cars are all gone and you sit in Maroe on the shore and skip stones off the water in Maroe Bay for the day. So wanting to make a reservation ahead of time and the general Avis reservations do not show any cars available in Maroe, just Fare.

:(

Archived