Royal Romance with RCCL

mailmama

Our son and now daughter in law just returned from being married through the royal romance pkg. on the Freedom of the Seas. We all thought the marriage "officiant" did a fantastic job with the service. Not knowing the couple, Linda make it feel as if she had known them forever. It was a very personal, warm and loving ceremony due to her. (The words she used in the vows) Her business is marrying people on cruise ships, not just RCCL. They had their choice of venues since they were the only ones getting married that day. They chose the Cloud 9 room since it had a wall of windows for natural light. The pictures turned out wonderful in front of the glass as we were worried about reflections, etc. The water was turquoise colored and gorgeous. The photographer stayed with them extra long (I am sure so he could sell more photos.) All in all, it was a great experience for both families......not stressful and the focus was on the couple not the hoopla that goes into most weddings. One tip that might help others: Embarkation day the Chops Grille has a reduced rate. We chose to have their "reception" that night. Champagne and the best food made it a wonderful night to remember. (By the time we finished the ceremony and the photo session, there wasn't a lot of time till muster drill so this really worked out great for us. Everyone had time to unwind and could really celebrate then!) Any questions, I will try to answer for you.

Thank you so much for posting this! We have 93 days until our wedding inboard Enchantment and were going to book Chops for our reception too (just a table for 12 mot renting the entire restaurant). Ours will be on day 6 of the cruise. Did you book before you boarded and how did you go about it?

Also was your daughter given any options on the vows and did she see them before she said them (if this makes sense).

Also, one more question... What form of music did she have for the ceremony? The CDs from RCI or her own or can you use an iPhone? Xx

Thank you so much for posting this! We have 93 days until our wedding inboard Enchantment and were going to book Chops for our reception too (just a table for 12 mot renting the entire restaurant). Ours will be on day 6 of the cruise. Did you book before you boarded and how did you go about it?

Also was your daughter given any options on the vows and did she see them before she said them (if this makes sense).

Also, one more question... What form of music did she have for the ceremony? The CDs from RCI or her own or can you use an iPhone? Xx

I booked the chops grille before the cruise when I was looking at the specialty restaurants. I noticed they had a sail day special for embarkation day only. We could choose the 6 or 8 pm setting. (They chose 8 pm) There was only 2 other couples in there when we arrived so soon had place to ourselves which was a party of 12. We did have to pay before boarding online. The atmosphere and food made the evening very special. (They are having a reception in a few months from now on land!) The officiant Linda, spoke to the couple for about 10 minutes before the ceremony to just go over the routine. It was her vows and dialogue as the couple was not worried about what was said. They didn't mind the traditional vows but Linda made it seem more contemporary and special. The music was set up by RCCL and was a mixture of music. The music was played before hand while we were waiting and then afterwards while couple was toasting each other with champagne and strawberries dipped in chocolate instead of typical cake exchange. If you are really set on your own music, I know they used a cd player and you have the option. The time between the ceremony and muster drill can be very tight. The photographer stayed with them about 12:15 (ceremony at 12:30). He took photos in her stateroom of her doing finishing touches, her family waiting before ceremony as both her mom and dad gave her away, and then after the ceremony, he took them all over the ship for pix. All in all, was very low key, unstressed day. They actually got to enjoy it because no fuss and no details to take care of. Hope your day goes just as well as this.

Hi, I am happy the wedding for your son and daughter in law was wonderful. I am getting married aboard Allure of the Seas and wondering if you had the wedding and champayne toast in the afternoon, and then booked a reception in the evening at a restaurant, what happened in between time and did the bridal party and guests where their formal attire?

I am trying to plan a nice reception for guests that come to the wedding and are not cruising, but still have some kind of evening celebration with the cruisers. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi, I am happy the wedding for your son and daughter in law was wonderful. I am getting married aboard Allure of the Seas and wondering if you had the wedding and champayne toast in the afternoon, and then booked a reception in the evening at a restaurant, what happened in between time and did the bridal party and guests where their formal attire?

I am trying to plan a nice reception for guests that come to the wedding and are not cruising, but still have some kind of evening celebration with the cruisers. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I understand your concern because I am the same. Obviously we dont find out what time we'regetting married until a few weeks before, but this is what we're hoping for:

When docked, go to court house and sort out legal side.

Then go for hair and make up in a salon.

Get back onboard and get ready.

Have ceremony.

Have photos taken around the ship with guests as there are only 12 of us.

Go to R Bar and have drinks.

Freshen up before dinner.

Go to chops for meal.

Join the rest of the passengers around the ship.

I was told that only two rooms would be ready right away, one for bride and one for groom to prepare for ceremony. Will everyone continue to be dressed in the ceremonial attire for dinner then?

I really want to wear my dress longer than 2 hours! Sounds silly doesn't it?

I know my wedding time, I live here in FL, so we will secure the court docs before we leave our town for the cruise. I imagine you will have to do the court doc. stuff during the week unless your cruise leaves on a weekday. I did not know they left on weekdays.

Can you reserve dinner for your wedding part in advance?

Congrats to you future brides! We live out of state so couple had to purchase license from 3rd party but all worked out and wedding coordinator had it ready when we boarded. We informed RCCL employees at pier that we had a wedding and they moved us up to front of line for pre boarding. They did have 2 rooms open for us to us. (One was for guys and other for girls to get ready) Most of wedding party/guests were dressed and ready. They sat in lounge...Olive n Twist till time for ceremony which was 12:30. The photographer was first to arrive with wedding coordinator. He took pix of her "getting ready". Just really a photo op as she was ready to go!! Then they all went to venue where officiant ran thru details of ceremony for couple so they would know what to do. Then wedding began and lasted at most 15 minutes. Photos were taken of all the guests/family/couple etc. The bride and groom had elected just to have the choc. dipped strawberries and champagne so toasts made with photos. When all pix taken that they wanted there, they left with photographer for photos all over the ship. These turned out to be the best ones. The rest of us all decided to change our clothes and meet up in the Windjammer. We have couple of hours before muster drill. The bride and groom later said they were with photographs another hr and went back to room to change and relax also. They ordered room service and sat on balcony till muster drill time. Then at 8 pm, we had reserved dinner at chops grill. Everyone dressed back up and met there for a fantastic dinner. Only 2 other tables were in use and they left about the time we got there so felt like private dinner venue!! There we had champagne and toasted couple. We booked this early online under a sail away special dinner. You could choose chops or portifinos. Hope this helps in your planning.

Love your getting married on the Allure. They looked at Allure chapel where they got engaged last Dec. Thought the Freedom chapel would be the same but it wasn't so they changed to the cloud 9 room. What they loved about the Allure chapel was the wall of windows. Chapel on Freedom didn't have this but the Cloud 9 room did so they switched. Theirs was the only wedding that day so all venues were available. Not sure after your ceremony how much time your non-cruising guest will have. Don't think it will be a lot of time.....maybe an hour to hour and half. We decided to nix the reception on board due to the high cost/time factor. We are planning a reception on land for them instead. (cheaper and more people can attend) Good luck planning!

I am also getting married on board the allure. We have booked a recption. I really hope we do not feel rushed. The reception we booked is only a hour so we do not need to loose a minute of time.

You mentioned about the run thru, was the bride in her gown or was she able to change after that? I do not want my fiance to see me(in gown) til I walk down the isle.

the bride was already dressed and met before ceremony with the groom and officiant. The officiant wanted a few minutes with the couple privately. She wanted to get to know them so she could personalize the vows. (she did a great job...like she had known them forever) It gave the bride/groom a moment alone to spend before the "ceremony show" This suited the couple perfectly. You might be able to request the separate "run thru of vows" with the wedding coordinator. We all traveled to the ship together the morning of the wedding so the groom already saw his bride but not in her dress. I think they really enjoyed the private meeting with officiant. He was the first to see her in her dress before she made an entrance for all to see. It was their special time alone for the day!! Set it up the way you want tho....it is your wedding and you are paying for it!!! The Allure has a beautiful chapel and the day will be a great one no matter what when you are marrying the one you love!

fldogmassage, can I ask when will you be on the Allure for your special day?? Thank you mailmamma for the info about the Allure's chapel. Its wonderful to know it has windows. As the day gets closer it seems I may not have many non-cruisers for a reception. What is a muster drill? Is that where they show you how to evacuate the boat in an emergency? So, after the wedding, you changed into different clothes, then changed back in dress clothes for a reception/dinner at Chops?

Mine is June 9th. After school is out for the summer. I have never been on a cruise, so wearing the dress would not be a problem? I am having my train taken off for the cruise wedding to make it more comfortable for walking around.

You already booked your reception? I was told I needed to know how many people would be at the wedding and my non-cruisers are still not locked in. Did they let you book it anywhere on the ship or was it a standard place based on the amount of people at your reception? Seems like I should be able to book also if I know an approximate number.

Can I ask what kind of reception you are having and will you bring more stuff on board to embellish it? Did you ask for the cake to be tiered and if so, what was the upcharge?

Thanks for any help.

I have not booked my reception yet. I have 25 people coming and we are going with the lunch buffet and bar service. I want the two hour reception but that one says it may not be a private reception. I am not going to bring anything else. I was thinking about a cake topper but I want to keep things simple. I hope I can tier the cake.

I am also taking the train off my dress, I am not even bustling it.

I was told we will talk about details I forgot if it was 45 or 30 days out. I will keep you posted. If you want you can email me and we can keep each other posted. fldogmassage@ymail.com

There are so few rccl brides it is nice to have someone to talk with.

Cruising is my favorite way to vacation. The muster drills used to be uncomfortable. You would stand outside smooched together with everyone else, sweating with your life vest. Now they are done inside and sitting. people coming on the cruise will be in shorts, so I will be over dressed but it is my wedding. There is not a problem to wear what you want. It is just what you are comfortable in.

So, after the wedding, you changed into different clothes, then changed back in dress clothes for a reception/dinner at Chops?

There was about a couple hours after wedding before muster drill so most guests were ready to kick back, relax, eat and explore ship. We all changed clothes to be more comfortable. The bride and groom changed their clothes after photo session and ate lunch on their balcony. When you go to muster drill, it is inside but can be very crowded especially going up and down the stairs (elevators are off limits till muster drill over) If you have a long train or "poofy" dress, you might want to change also. Remember you will have to walk the stairs to get to your muster drill. I think it was something our bride didn't want to get dirty and was somewhat bulky to wear for a few hours until the reception/dinner at 8. Just easier to change out of and back into later!! She also knew she would need to wear it a few months later when we are having a land reception for the couple since so many people in our community wanted to celebrate with them.

My wife and I got married on Allure this past August so I can give a bit of info on. Our ceremony at the Chapel was at 1:30pm then had a dinner reception at 5:30 in Chops. We had 50 sailing guests, about 10 crew members and 13 non sailing guests attend our wedding. Our non sailing guests knew in advance that the reception would take place after the ship left port. They did get to explore the entire ship before the ceremony and after. The ceremony was only 20-25 minutes long. We then took pictures outside with everyone for about 30min. The guests were free to do as they pleased till the reception. The dress code for the wedding ceremony was more casual and formal for the reception. I wore a tan colored suit with white button down. We knew it was going to be really hot out. Then the photographer took us around the ship and took photos for over an hour. We then spent a good amount of time with our non-sailing guests. Soon enough it was time for them to leave and then the muster drill. We stayed dressed in our wedding clothes for the drill. After the drill we went back to our room and I showered changed into my tux and my wife freshened up. Then it was time for the reception!!

Any questions just let me know!

I am also getting married on board the allure. We have booked a recption. I really hope we do not feel rushed. The reception we booked is only a hour so we do not need to loose a minute of time.

You mentioned about the run thru, was the bride in her gown or was she able to change after that? I do not want my fiance to see me(in gown) til I walk down the isle.

I did not see my wife until she turned the corner to walk down the aisle. I was to report to the Chapel 15min before the ceremony time. They kept me in the Chapel with all the guests. I was given a small run thru on how things would go. They went to get the bride a few min before the start.

kamusta1, how come your wedding was at 1:30? I thought they were at 12 or 12:30 and also your reception so late? I want my non sailing guest to be at the reception. Was that your choice or am I in trouble if I am planning that?

I apologize it was at 12:30. I just asked my wife =) It was our choice to have the reception that late. I rented out Chops for the night. Normally the reception would occur right after the ceremony.

Kamusta1, thank you I feel better.

vasoxfann, I can give you my experience so far. I felt like it took them a long time to contact me for anything. To book, to answer questions, etc. But I really wanted my wedding on board the allure. I had to switch the date of my wedding from July to May and I was very stressed. This time they were very quick to respond and help out. The new women that I have been in contact with has been great answering questions, calling me back when I call. I will keep the boards posted after my wedding.

I was thinking about a cake topper but I want to keep things simple. I hope I can tier the cake.

I am also taking the train off my dress, I am not even bustling it.

I was told we will talk about details I forgot if it was 45 or 30 days out. I will keep you posted. If you want you can email me and we can keep each other posted. fldogmassage@ymail.com

You can tier the cake. We had a 3 tier cake and my wife had a cake our own personal cake topper. About 30 days out is when all the details are pretty much set. I mostly did all the planning due to my wife's work schedule and was at first skeptical that all the planning was done so close to the day, but it all worked out.

Here is a photo of our cake

8391444436_986c02ab16.jpg

PT1_9415-359 by leonel.tarectecan, on Flickr

I see you know the Allure quite well. Did you see other weddings taking place with receptions on the day of your wedding? It seems you may be a local and close to the port. Is that correct? I have in the panhandle, our families will be coming from all over the US and the world. So, I really have to have a reception after the wedding. I just do not think its fair for my guests to have traveled 22 hours only to see ceremony without lunch. But my budget does not finance 2 receptions. Can you suggest what I can do with my cruising guests in the evening? I wanted to go to a ballroom for dancing, but I only see night clubs, families can not go in night clubs. I am just trying to find a way to extend the celebration with everyone.

Royal Caribbean just brought their wedding department in house from being outsourced because they wanted more control over the experience for their guests. I guess that they were getting a lot of complaints.

We are planning a wedding for March on the Liberty and it seems to be going great. There have been a lot of questions and back and forth. Some patience has been required, but overall it's been a good experience.

Depending on the number of sailing guests, you can ask to work with the groups department. They can book you a private room for you and have options such as a DJ or musicians that aren't really that expensive. They can even setup fun events during the day for your sailing guests. For instance you can have the activities staff do a scavenger hunt or host a trivia game for the group at it’s only like $75. If you don’t want the expense of doing something private, there are several other lounges that have music that are open to families that you can gather with your sailing guests.

Royal offers several options for lunch receptions if you want to have a private reception for your non-sailing guests. You can download a whole new wedding brochure from their site and if you go to the meetings section you can download the brochure for group options.

Hope this helps.

Archived