Shore Excursions on PG

Hello!

I am traveling on the PG on 8/13 and have some questions about the shore excursions. Does everyone take a shore excursion everyday? Or, if you decide not to take any one day, what else is there to do? Is it easy to explore the islands on your own? Or, are there beaches and snorkeling you can do on your own?

I like shore excursions, but I would like to spend some time just relaxing on my own and not in an organized excursion.

Thanks!

Chrissy

Hi Chrissy,

You certainly don't need to take a shore excursion while at Taha'a. That's the day you want to take advantage of the free day at their private Motu Mahana. RSSC's own private motu with all that you need for a day at the beach in paradise. And be sure to use the tenders to the beach at least one of your days on Bora Bora. That also is free, but the only facility there is the free bar. (Ask for a box lunch the day before or go back over to the ship for lunch.)

On Moorea it is very easy to rent a car for 4 hours and that is plenty of time to drive around the entire island. Avis has a stand right by the dock that the tenders take you to.

Some people take two excursions a day at times but Bill and I have never done that. On our recently completed 10 day itinerary we did 5 ship's excursions, the 2 free motus and just casual stuff the rest of the time.

Hey Chrissy, I'm with Kathy! We recently did a back to back, and certainly did not do an excursion each day. With the motu days, and walking around Vaitape (BB) shopping, and renting a car on Moorea, we spaced ours out. Made sure to do some water-oriented the very last day, tried to intersperse land and water. If I am counting right, I think we did 6 excursions for the two weeks. And never did two in one day, sometimes we did different ones (I like the water more than David.)

Chrissy - the Gauguines offer some classes on things such as pareo tying, Tahitian dance and bracelet making. Those are informal and last about 30 minutes. They are listed in "Passages" in your daily activities paper that is placed on your bed during turndown service each evening. Tours of the bridge and galley will be offered at least once per trip (space is limited, you sign up for these at Reception). Those are usually 3pm or later. The marina platform is open, weather permitting, for kayaking, waterskiing and windsurfing. Those sports are all complimentary, but you must sign up for a time slot. The small pool is on deck 8 surrounded by comfortable lounge chairs. There is no hot tub. I remember overhearing some passengers who were very upset that there was no hot tub. That is such an easy thing to learn before booking the trip. And, of course, you can do the same kinds of stuff that you could do at home such as watch movies and videos on your tv in your cabin, use the fitness center, work on a puzzle on a puzzle table on deck 6 near the boutique and eat, eat, eat! The video selection does not include any newer releases but they did have some fairly recent movie selections running on TV. The movie guide is in your stateroom when you arrive. I watched 2 movies during our 10 day trip.

We're also leaving on August 13th, flying non-stop from NY. We leave NY at 5pm, get on the boat after midnight. The first day, at Raiatea, I'm planning to relax - save the excursions for later. You can always wander into town on your own, returning for a swim or a nap or tea. My reading of the excursion descriptions, except for the lagoonarium and the helmet walk, don't get my heart fluttering. Why go to paradise to buy t-shirts?

David

Archived