Deaf/Hard of hearing cruising on FOS

Hello all,

My family and I are cruising of Freedom of the Seas, Western Caribbean, Aug 18-25, my brother is hard of hearing and his girlfriend is deaf (they are both in their 30's and it is the first cruise for both of them). I just wanted to know if anyone who is deaf/hard of hearing will be on this cruise too? I think it would be great for them to be able to hook up with other people who are deaf/hard of hearing. I know I am probably being an overprotective big sister, but i just want this to be a memorable experience for both of them. :)

Hello all,

My family and I are cruising of Freedom of the Seas, Western Caribbean, Aug 18-25, my brother is hard of hearing and his girlfriend is deaf (they are both in their 30's and it is the first cruise for both of them). I just wanted to know if anyone who is deaf/hard of hearing will be on this cruise too? I think it would be great for them to be able to hook up with other people who are deaf/hard of hearing. I know I am probably being an overprotective big sister, but i just want this to be a memorable experience for both of them. :)

If your brother and his girlfriend have not done so already, suggest they contact RCCL's Special Needs Dept to arrange for any accommodations available offered to the hearing impaired. Here's the link http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/hearingImpairment.do

Wishing you all a wonderful cruise !

If your brother and his girlfriend have not done so already, suggest they contact RCCL's Special Needs Dept to arrange for any accommodations available offered to the hearing impaired. Here's the link http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/hearingImpairment.do

Wishing you all a wonderful cruise !

Yes, I took care of that for them. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I appreciate your consideration for these hearing impaired first-cruisers. With these accomandations provided (especially ASL interpreter), I am sure they will enjoy their first cruise. I am deaf myself and I went aboard Carnival Liberty (my first cruise) with my family back in July 2007. I didn't even know that these accomodations existed...They provided me TTY, door ringer flashlights and so on in my cabin. How nice of them... I am planning to go on All-Deaf cruise (meaning all deafies aboard with over 100 interpreters) next year in October...this time I'll be on Jewel of the Seas. Can't wait! :p

• 2 weeks later...

There will be lots of hard of hearing passengers on board but probably not many Deaf people who use sign. It's good to find out in advance what's available such as listening systems in the show lounges and closed captioning on the TVs.

I've found that most hard of hearing passengers do not expect or ask for any accommodations which is kind of frustrating for those of us who are trying to get the cruise lines to provide more help. If all the hard of hearing people spoke up we might get more attention. So thanks for letting the cruise line know that at least two passengers on this cruise need access.

Archived