Carnival Corporation Shareholders Benefits thru 7/31/2013

irisheileen

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

This is a link I found for the newest Carnival Corporation Shareholders Benefits. I had noticed that the last one was for sailing before 7/31/, 2012 and this one extends to 7/31/2013.

I am not a Shareholder but could use a quick tutoral from someone here, please? :) For example, do you know the current cost of 100 shares, which is the minimum? Stupid question ( I don't own andy individual stock) but how does one go about purchasing it?

Thanks.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

This is a link I found for the newest Carnival Corporation Shareholders Benefits. I had noticed that the last one was for sailing before 7/31/, 2012 and this one extends to 7/31/2013.

I am not a Shareholder but could use a quick tutoral from someone here, please? :) For example, do you know the current cost of 100 shares, which is the minimum? Stupid question ( I don't own andy individual stock) but how does one go about purchasing it?

Thanks.

If you're buying the stock ONLY for OBC, don't bother. It would take you a lot of cruises to get back what you pay. CCL stock is currently over 30 USD per share (didn't check it today) so for 100 shares you're looking at over 3k investment.

If you want to buy/sell easily, there are lots of online brokers. Personally I've used Sharebuilder and Scottrade. They charge a fee per transaction.

I disagree. I bought my stock in late 2009 when it was $31 a share. Since then, I have received about $1,000 in OBC on Carnival, HAL, and Princess plus the stock dividends. No way I would ever get that in interest in any investment account.

Yikes! You are right, it's not worth it JUST for the OBC benefit. Thanks.

Now for those that already own the stock- how is it performing?

It really hasn't moved around much the past 6 months I've been watching it. I thought concordia disaster might hurt them, but really it only moved a few dollars. I think it's been between 30-35 when I've checked. (actually it teetered down to like 28.50 when the disaster struck). The 1 year estimated target is around 33 and today it's at about 32.25, so it doesn't seem they expect it to perform all that much.

Now, if you're the buy and hold and hope for future profit sort (as I tend to be) then maybe its not a bad buy to get the OBCs over the years and eventually sell back and hope for a profit down the line. Stocks are a gamble, as always. None is a guarantee, if it were, we'd all be in them!

Yikes! You are right, it's not worth it JUST for the OBC benefit. Thanks.

Now for those that already own the stock- how is it performing?

It depend when you bought it and what price you paid. Of course if you don't sell it you've neither lost or made any money on the stock itself.

For us it's selling for just a little under what we paid for it about a year ago. But we've received $75 in Dividends and $250 in OBC for $325 back on a $3000 investment. By the end of the year we will have received $75 more in dividends and another $250 in OBC for a total of $650 on our investment.

I just noticed the the other post. I guess it's selling for a little over what we paid for it.

As an investment, I don't think CCL is so bad. Share price has been stable for the past year (I bought when it dropped right after Concordia). Dividend has been at 3% annualized which is pretty good. With CD's and money mkts yielding <= 1%, a stable company yielding 3% is worth considering for the long term. I originally bought 1K shares for the OBC, but after the cruise decided to hold on to the stock because I think it is a good investment in today's very unstable market as a buy and hold.

Go to E*Trade, ScottTrade to set up an account.

I disagree. I bought my stock in late 2009 when it was $31 a share. Since then, I have received about $1,000 in OBC on Carnival, HAL, and Princess plus the stock dividends. No way I would ever get that in interest in any investment account.

That's great that you've gotten 1k back so far; however i'd venture to guess mileage varies per cruiser.

As you know, OBC will vary based on your length of cruises. For me, I dont take cruises that will garner the highest OBC as I dont get enough time off from work to do so. In the future, I hope that will change and I'll get more OBC. I own RCL stock and will be using OBC from the stock for the 1st time this year, however I'm only getting 100.00 because my cruise is only 9 days. I'd probably make more money if i left the 2700 dollars in the bank rather than buying stock but well, I'm hoping that long term, it'll sell at a higher rate and I'll be in a win/win situation. Always the gamble with stocks.

I'm not here to talk anyone out of it, I just know that one shouldn't base such a large financial decision based upon this one factor.

With the stockholder credit, I think owning Carnival stock (CCL) is a good investment.

Here is how I see it:

Current stock price - $32.09

Dividend $1.00 annually

Yield = 3.1 %

Plus I sell Covered Calls (very conservative approach IMO) on my stock. Check with your broker or advisor on how and why to do this. Anyway,

If I sell a January $33 Call, I get back $2.75 immediately, putting my net invest investment at $32.09 - $2.75 = $29.34. I am ignoring commissions for now. If the stock does nothing, next January I have made 50 cents in dividends plus $2.75 in call premium, or $3.25 (over 11% totally), not bad for 8 months. Annual return would be over 15%.

Plus, I can make another 91 cents on the upside if the stock goes to 33 or over (you are limited to $33 on the upside on this call). The 91 cents is another 3% or about 4.3% annualized.

PLUS, you collect the stockholder credit of $50 to $250 per cruise!!

With this approach, my breakeven is now $29.34 - I make a profit at anything over this plus I collect +/- 3.1% in dividends (depending on when I sell).

I know this seems like Greek to most folks, but it really is an easy thing to do - again, speak with a professional for details and to discuss the pros and cons.

With the stockholder credit, I think owning Carnival stock (CCL) is a good investment.

Here is how I see it:

Current stock price - $32.09

Dividend $1.00 annually

Yield = 3.1 %

Plus I sell Covered Calls (very conservative approach IMO) on my stock. Check with your broker or advisor on how and why to do this. Anyway,

If I sell a January $33 Call, I get back $2.75 immediately, putting my net invest investment at $32.09 - $2.75 = $29.34. I am ignoring commissions for now. If the stock does nothing, next January I have made 50 cents in dividends plus $2.75 in call premium, or $3.25 (over 11% totally), not bad for 8 months. Annual return would be over 15%.

Plus, I can make another 91 cents on the upside if the stock goes to 33 or over (you are limited to $33 on the upside on this call). The 91 cents is another 3% or about 4.3% annualized.

PLUS, you collect the stockholder credit of $50 to $250 per cruise!!

With this approach, my breakeven is now $29.34 - I make a profit at anything over this plus I collect +/- 3.1% in dividends (depending on when I sell).

I know this seems like Greek to most folks, but it really is an easy thing to do - again, speak with a professional for details and to discuss the pros and cons.

{0} Holding head screaming..... what?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I admire you for understanding all of that! Here's what I know...medical, medical, cruising, Spiritual stuff. If only..sigh.. I could get my head around financial stuff!

:)

There are various factors that help determine whether buying CCL stock is/was a good investment -- like -- when it was purchased (some bought their shares when the price was in the teens :)); how often someone cruises, and for how long an itinerary (and therefore receives the benefit); CCL has resumed paying quarterly dividends ($25.00/quarter, for 100 shares).

So, in our case, it has been a VERY good investment. :cool:

Ray in NH

Saw CCL listed as a good buy because of aging baby boomer cruise market, as well as more global discretionary wealth for vacations. However WSJ reported Goldman Sachs recently cut it to neutral from buy. Do you due diligence.

I bought high a while back and "lost money", but I am quickly regaining (some) those losses with my cruise credits. Since I plan on cruising for a long time to come on HAL ships, it probably will all wash out at least better than sitting a 0% interest account someplace else. At least it is paying out real "dividends" now when we cruise. Especially since we are now taking longer cruises to get the top cruise credit payback.

But if you know the next sure thing (like Facebook:rolleyes:) then this may not be your best overall investment vehicle.

{0} Holding head screaming..... what?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I admire you for understanding all of that! Here's what I know...medical, medical, cruising, Spiritual stuff. If only..sigh.. I could get my head around financial stuff!

It does seem a bit complicated, but it really is not that bad. You need to have someone (broker or financial advisor) to walk you through covered calls. Writing these covered calls is actually more conservate than just owning stocks. You limit your upside but also reduce the downside (a bit). I tell people that this way I hit more singles and doubles, but give up hitting a home run.

DaveOKC

Agree with you..We bought the stock in 3/04/09 when it was $18.25 a share..Total w/commission was $1890 for 100 shares..It shot up rapidly later in 09..

Since then we've collected $850 in OBC's.. CCL started paying dividends in 2010 at $10. per quarter.. Increased to $25.00 a quarter in 2011..That's $165 in dividends..Total return so far is $1180..Next Jan will collect another $250 in OBC's..

Fortunately, it was an excellent investment :D:D& it's been such fun watching the price..If we sold it today at $32.09, we would be way ahead of the game..Sorry we didn't buy more when it was down though..

But who knew! ;)

Cheers....:)Betty

We did the quick and easy method. Booked the cruise. Bought the stock. Got the $100 credit. Made $200 on the stock. Sold the stock. Soon to go on cruise.

Your credit might not be there when you board the ship. In the past you had to own the stock for the duration of the cruise.

That's great that you've gotten 1k back so far; however i'd venture to guess mileage varies per cruiser.

As you know, OBC will vary based on your length of cruises. For me, I dont take cruises that will garner the highest OBC as I dont get enough time off from work to do so. In the future, I hope that will change and I'll get more OBC. I own RCL stock and will be using OBC from the stock for the 1st time this year, however I'm only getting 100.00 because my cruise is only 9 days. I'd probably make more money if i left the 2700 dollars in the bank rather than buying stock but well, I'm hoping that long term, it'll sell at a higher rate and I'll be in a win/win situation. Always the gamble with stocks.

I'm not here to talk anyone out of it, I just know that one shouldn't base such a large financial decision based upon this one factor.

I bolded part of your post..Actually you are ahead of the game right now..If you had left $2700 in the bank you would make $27.00 per year at 1% just about what the going interest rate is now.. But, you will collect $100 OBC for 9 days..That's almost 3 3/4% an excellent return...:D:D:D

Keep the faith & hold on to your stock for now..

Cheers...:)Betty

I agree with you Laurie S.

If you have a portfolio that you have a buy and hold strategy then why not by CCL? A decent priced stock in an emerging industry, pays dividends and has the added perk of tax free OBC. :)

Rockfan2

When we bought the 100 shares in 2011, our broker told my husband that he thought that owning shares in either the big 2 cruise corporations was not a bad plan. Between RCCL and Carnival, they control quite a share of the mass cruise market.

I bought the stock when it was close to $50 a share in 2004 yes I have lost money but not really. I have had close to $4000 in on board credit and the quarterly dividends have not been too bad. I have it figured I am still ahead of the game especially because I will continue to cruise ;)

I bought the stock when it was close to $50 a share in 2004 yes I have lost money but not really. I have had close to $4000 in on board credit and the quarterly dividends have not been too bad. I have it figured I am still ahead of the game especially because I will continue to cruise ;)

Look at it this way, Lisa. Now you are forced to cruise to cover your losses. You owe this to your heirs. :p

Archived