Walk up to Eze village from train station

Sparkle 123

Has anyone done the walk up to the village of Eze from the train station?

I realise its over an hour but just how challenging is it?

Would love to hear any opinions. Thanks

Per their tourism website:

http://www.eze-riviera.com/emotions/ang

the village is 429 m high in elevation and then it goes even higher, up to the La Revere point at 650 m high.

Clearly, that walk can be done, but my main question would be on a "time efficiency" standpoint, plus "energy" used up, whether it would be worth doing that walk. Eze is wonderful. Love this little piece of "HEAVEN ON EARTH" and its charm, beauty, views, etc. Below are my notes on this village.

The old village of Eze, along the coast between Nice and Monaco, hangs up in the mountains above the water and crowds. It's wonderful to visit. Great, great views! Totally charming! Have lunch or dinner there at one of the two great eating places and feel like you're sitting on the edge of paradise! We ate at the Château Eza. Its website: http://www.chateauezarestaurant.com. At 1,407 feet above the Mediterranean, Eze offers commanding views of cliffs, sea, sprawling estates and off-shore islands. The village's narrow streets or more really paths among the buildings lead to the Jardin Exotique It is a maze of paths flanked by mammoth flowering plants and spiky cactuses. For about $3, you can walk up to the best view on the French Riviera. On a clear day, you can see Corsica! It does not get much better than Eze. Their tourism office:

http://www.eze-riviera.com

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I am not sure why you are doing this? To save taxi fare..or to get some real exercise? At the bottom of Eze is a large parking lot for buses and taxis. There also is a tourist office and some shops. From the lot you walk up a steep road (upwards towards the hotel). Then you take 100+/- steps to reach Eze. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes. Unless you really want exercise, I would take a taxi from the train to the lot at Eze. You can then walk back to the train of catch a taxi again.

If you have not been to Nice, I would also try to spend some time there as well.

we took the bus up to Eze & than hiked down the Nietzsche (sp?) trail. You need to be in decent shape, & sure footed as parts of it are not in the greatest condition, but it does afford some fabulous views down to the sea. If you do this trail: 1. Bring water 2. Have a hat 3. have light layers for if you get hot.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I realise its a challenging walk but after nearly 2 weeks on the Equinox we will certainly need the excersise to work off all those wonderful meals!

Hopefully we will be able to get the bus from the train station and then walk down.

We walked down from the top and it was quite a hike. It was hard on our knees but we are in our middle 50's. Here is a picture taken from near the train station of Eze. the trail follows the tree line on the right then goes back behind the hill towards the left.

P1030952.jpg

Per their tourism website:

www.eze-riviera.com/emotions/ang

the village is 429 m high in elevation and then it goes even higher, up to the La Revere point at 650 m high.

Clearly, that walk can be done, but my main question would be on a "time efficiency" standpoint, plus "energy" used up, whether it would be worth doing that walk. Eze is wonderful. Love this little piece of "HEAVEN ON EARTH" and its charm, beauty, views, etc. Below are my notes on this village.

The old village of Eze, along the coast between Nice and Monaco, hangs up in the mountains above the water and crowds. It's wonderful to visit. Great, great views! Totally charming! Have lunch or dinner there at one of the two great eating places and feel like you're sitting on the edge of paradise! We ate at the Château Eza. Its website: www.chateauezarestaurant.com. At 1,407 feet above the Mediterranean, Eze offers commanding views of cliffs, sea, sprawling estates and off-shore islands. The village's narrow streets or more really paths among the buildings lead to the Jardin Exotique It is a maze of paths flanked by mammoth flowering plants and spiky cactuses. For about $3, you can walk up to the best view on the French Riviera. On a clear day, you can see Corsica! It does not get much better than Eze. Their tourism office:

www.eze-riviera.com

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I, too have a similar (but different question)..... I will take a RCCL excursion to Eze - but it only allows 30 min of "free time" in Eze. I was wondering if I just stay back - how can I get back to the ship on time?

• 3 months later...

DH and I (50's) took the bus to Eze and then hiked down Nietzshe's (sp?) trail. There was a sign that said it took 45 minutes, but I would allocate at least an hour. We were the only ones on the path, and it was quite enjoyable, with great views. We hadn't planned this in advance, but when we returned to the bus stop, it seemed like we would have a bit of a wait, so we just decided to hike down the trail. We would do it again.

• 1 month later...
I have seen the bus timetables for Eze, but where does the train go to/from? does anyone have schedules for this?

The train travels from Cannes to Monaco and points in both directions beyond. Nice, Villefranche and Eze bord du Mer are the stops in between that most cruisers taking the train in this area would use. The train parallels the coast.

Finding an English schedule is difficult ... here's one in French that you can access schedules from (type in the name of the town beside 'Votre Gare' and the schedule will show.)

This is the schedule from May 25 through December 11. The first few pages are in the direction from Cannes towards Monaco, and further down are the schedules for Monaco towards Cannes.

Do you have to walk or is there a bus that will get you there without a lot of uphill walking. I ask because I would like to visit Eze, but have 2 ladies in my group that while they are mobile, tire very easily.

Do you have to walk or is there a bus that will get you there without a lot of uphill walking. I ask because I would like to visit Eze, but have 2 ladies in my group that while they are mobile, tire very easily.

From the bus stop in Eze Village, it is an uphill walk into the shopping/restaurant/garden area. I think that it might be a challenge to take public transportation in this area with people who tire easily due to the hilly nature of the region (in port as well.)

I think that a private tour (you might be able to join up with others on your roll call) or a ship's tour might be more enjoyable for those with limitations.

Archived