Review of Black Cherry for Swollen Feet/Ankles

After reading the thread on swollen feet and ankles while traveling, I decided to try the recommended Black Cherry during our back to back cruises we had in March. I swell just from even traveling in a car too long. So I knew flying LA to Florida and then on a ship for 2 weeks would do a number on me. Not only is it ugly but it's painful and makes it that much harder to look nice on formal nights!

Anyway, I had tried lots of things in the past to rememdy this, some with some luck. Water pills, grapeseed oil lotion, various creams, drinking lemon water or cucumber water. You name it and I've done it. Black Cherry was up next on the list.

I bought the capusules at Vitamin World and each one had 1000mg strength. I started taking one about 3 days before we flew out. I was worried about the sleepy effect but I never felt sleepy, just well rested after each night sleep. I did not notice any other side effects. I took one capsule each morning and packed the whole bottle for the trip.

I managed a 4 hour drive to LAX, a 5 hour red eye flight all without swelling! I did all my other things too, wore tight knee high socks on the plane, tried to keep my feet moving, drinking water, etc. But sometimes I still swell with all that, but no swelling. And once in Florida for a day before the cruise, still no swelling. I continued taking the pill once each morning.

We boarded our first cruise, a 5-night western Caribbean. NO SWELLING whatsoever during this whole cruise.

We had a night in Fort Lauderdale before the next cruise and I started swelling at the feet. I tried to drink more water and took one more black cherry pill at night. I eventually took a water pill and that stopped the swelling by morning.

We boarded our second cruise, a 7-night eastern Caribbean and I was fine the first couple nights, then during the middle of the cruise I got extremely swollen. The painful owie can't wear shoes swollen (and of course this was a formal night). I was desperate and took a water pill and was fine by the next morning. But as the day went on the swelling started and by night I could not wear the shoes again. Water pill again. Fine by morning. The whole while I was still taking the black cherry in the am but not the pm. But by the 5th day I did not have the swelling at all, so no need for water pill, but kept taking the black cherry.

I tried to think if I altered any dietary habits during those days but I really did not. I was drinking same amounts of water. I was doing same activities. But for some reason my body decided it needed to hang on to water for a couple days.

All in all I think the black cherry did help. Otherwise I would have needed water pills much more often (which I don't like to do and would prefer not to take them but use them only when the swelling is painful). I would recommend this as an alternative to try for foot or ankle swelling. Not to mention I slept like a baby every night and always awoke refreshed.

After reading the thread on swollen feet and ankles while traveling, I decided to try the recommended Black Cherry during our back to back cruises we had in March. I swell just from even traveling in a car too long. So I knew flying LA to Florida and then on a ship for 2 weeks would do a number on me. Not only is it ugly but it's painful and makes it that much harder to look nice on formal nights!

Anyway, I had tried lots of things in the past to rememdy this, some with some luck. Water pills, grapeseed oil lotion, various creams, drinking lemon water or cucumber water. You name it and I've done it. Black Cherry was up next on the list.

I bought the capusules at Vitamin World and each one had 1000mg strength. I started taking one about 3 days before we flew out. I was worried about the sleepy effect but I never felt sleepy, just well rested after each night sleep. I did not notice any other side effects. I took one capsule each morning and packed the whole bottle for the trip.

I managed a 4 hour drive to LAX, a 5 hour red eye flight all without swelling! I did all my other things too, wore tight knee high socks on the plane, tried to keep my feet moving, drinking water, etc. But sometimes I still swell with all that, but no swelling. And once in Florida for a day before the cruise, still no swelling. I continued taking the pill once each morning.

We boarded our first cruise, a 5-night western Caribbean. NO SWELLING whatsoever during this whole cruise.

We had a night in Fort Lauderdale before the next cruise and I started swelling at the feet. I tried to drink more water and took one more black cherry pill at night. I eventually took a water pill and that stopped the swelling by morning.

We boarded our second cruise, a 7-night eastern Caribbean and I was fine the first couple nights, then during the middle of the cruise I got extremely swollen. The painful owie can't wear shoes swollen (and of course this was a formal night). I was desperate and took a water pill and was fine by the next morning. But as the day went on the swelling started and by night I could not wear the shoes again. Water pill again. Fine by morning. The whole while I was still taking the black cherry in the am but not the pm. But by the 5th day I did not have the swelling at all, so no need for water pill, but kept taking the black cherry.

I tried to think if I altered any dietary habits during those days but I really did not. I was drinking same amounts of water. I was doing same activities. But for some reason my body decided it needed to hang on to water for a couple days.

All in all I think the black cherry did help. Otherwise I would have needed water pills much more often (which I don't like to do and would prefer not to take them but use them only when the swelling is painful). I would recommend this as an alternative to try for foot or ankle swelling. Not to mention I slept like a baby every night and always awoke refreshed.

Thanks for the review! I've been taking them and I love the sleep I get! Although I've been taking them for foot pain, I'm hoping it helps for my cruise in 2 weeks. Guess I will take some water pills with me just in case!

Aahhh...it's a diuretic! So is parsley...and beer!!!(just kidding...but it does make me pee!)

I think being at sea increases your water retention because it's quite HUMID at sea...even if you don't feel it...you are surrounded by water. It's certainly not an arid location!

Aahhh...it's a diuretic! So is parsley...and beer!!!(just kidding...but it does make me pee!)

I think being at sea increases your water retention because it's quite HUMID at sea...even if you don't feel it...you are surrounded by water. It's certainly not an arid location!

I live in the humidity capital of the world:rolleyes:...and my feet NEVER

swell here at home....I don't belive the humidity has anything to do

with it..........I am in Florida and it is always humid here.

Hi, to the OP, I am glad to hear the cherry capsules worked for you.:)

I sail next month and will start taking them about a week before I leave

and hoping I get the same good results:D

I used them on our recent freedom cruise. Two capsules twice each day. Did not feel any difference in swelling between this cruise and our last. Within 24 hours after disembarking the swelling was gone. I was very disappointed in the capsules.

• 2 weeks later...

Too bad they didn't work for you sjb, it's good to have all sorts of reviews from people. Next time I travel I will make sure I use them again and see if they work as I'm going to a desert area so it will be another type of trip to measure them against.

I got the capsules from GNC, and originally took two once per day. Then I doubled the dosage to twice per day (still within recommended limits). I honestly can't tell the difference in my swollen ankles and leg, and I've taken them for two weeks now. I'll finish out the bottle, but not get another, if the results are not helpful to me.

I really could tell the difference on our 12 day cruise. 1 day I forgot to take them and I could tell. Once I remembered to take them, I was good.

I bought them about a month ago and haven't started taking them

yet. I leave here on Wed, May 9th and fly to Rome. My cruise is May

11th......did you start to take them before you sailed?

Hello, so do I understand that it also helps you sleep ?? I thought they were just for the swelling, I want to get some for my husband. and what dosage of water pill and what type do you get , just in case you need them ? Thanks in advance for the information.

Cori

I got the capsules from GNC, and originally took two once per day. Then I doubled the dosage to twice per day (still within recommended limits). I honestly can't tell the difference in my swollen ankles and leg, and I've taken them for two weeks now. I'll finish out the bottle, but not get another, if the results are not helpful to me.

I haven't noticed results either :(. I'm so bummed. I did discover something that I'm going to try on my cruise. I injured my hip and started spending time in the sauna at the gym. I definitely noticed a difference in bloating around the time of month. I'm going to try the sauna on my next cruise before getting ready for dinner.

Wow ...thanks Amy. What an interesting post.

Who knew that cherries were so beneficial.

I have never been able to pass a bowl of black cherries with out eating nearly all of them.

Who knew about all the benefits . You sparked me to google and I discovered that lab studies have actually shown that the juice/extract from cherries have very powerful antinflammatory properties and are not only beneficial to arthritics and gout sufferers but are also important in preventing heart disease. The powerful antioxidants are five times more potent then any other vegetable or fruit.

I can't resist including the little tidbit about the history of the cherry.

"Cherries have a long history, although their health benefits were not always part of their appeal. Research believes their cultivation probably began in Rome around 70 BC after the fruits or trees were brought to the area from Turkey. In fact, the word “cherry” comes from the name of a Turkish city – Cerasus. After becoming popular in Rome and in Greece, the cherries were exported to other parts of Europe. They were so beloved by Henry VIII after he tasted one that he ordered an orchard to be created so England could grow its own cherries since they were not being exported into that country any longer. Today, about 2 million tons of cherries are produced and sold every year around the world with the United States being the second largest producer; Turkey is the first. "

Wow ...thanks Amy. What an interesting post.

Who knew that cherries were so beneficial.

I have never been able to pass a bowl of black cherries with out eating nearly all of them.

Who knew about all the benefits . You sparked me to google and I discovered that lab studies have actually shown that the juice/extract from cherries have very powerful antinflammatory properties and are not only beneficial to arthritics and gout sufferers but are also important in preventing heart disease. The powerful antioxidants are five times more potent then any other vegetable or fruit.

I can't resist including the little tidbit about the history of the cherry.

"Cherries have a long history, although their health benefits were not always part of their appeal. Research believes their cultivation probably began in Rome around 70 BC after the fruits or trees were brought to the area from Turkey. In fact, the word “cherry” comes from the name of a Turkish city – Cerasus. After becoming popular in Rome and in Greece, the cherries were exported to other parts of Europe. They were so beloved by Henry VIII after he tasted one that he ordered an orchard to be created so England could grow its own cherries since they were not being exported into that country any longer. Today, about 2 million tons of cherries are produced and sold every year around the world with the United States being the second largest producer; Turkey is the first. "

Hi Karen, maybe this is a sign:D;):).....my cruise goes to Turkey:D

Lois...I am so envious. Istanbul was my most favourite port of all my travels!!

Karen, this trip is not going to Instanbul......we do go to Ephesus though:)

I bought them about a month ago and haven't started taking them

yet. I leave here on Wed, May 9th and fly to Rome. My cruise is May

11th......did you start to take them before you sailed?

Yes, I've been taking them for a while now. Maybe since I first noticed them on here. About a month of 2. My MIL loves them for her ankle and knee pain. They did help with my TOM when I was on the cruise also, I didn't notice I was really bloated and my cramps weren't as bad.

Hello, so do I understand that it also helps you sleep ?? I thought they were just for the swelling, I want to get some for my husband. and what dosage of water pill and what type do you get , just in case you need them ? Thanks in advance for the information.

Cori

They really help with sleep. I sleep like a rock now and wake up rested. I just bought an OTC water pill just in case I needed it from CVS, but never took one.

I think it works for some, doesn't work for others - just like everything else. I started taking one 1,000 mg capsule of Black Cherry and another 1,000 mg pill of Termeric (sp) (recommended by Vitamin World) a week before my trip and then during the trip. Took them in the mornings.

Spent 4 days in Orlando before driving down to FLL for a 10-day Caribbean cruise (first 2 weeks of April).

I noticed right away that my hands were a little swollen from the heat and my feet were a tad big swollen also. But nothing huge or painful. But decided the capsules and pills didn't work that great. Just a little.

In the future - I'll still take them because I think they did help a little bit. Sometimes all of that heat, humidity and salty cruise food just does strange things to you, lol.

Archived