Embraer E90

tnsail

Since booking flights to San Juan the airlines have not only changed times, now then have changed aircraft. The orginal flight was to be a 737 from BNA to CLT then 757 to San Juan. Now the flight is a EMB E90 from BNA to CLT.

From the pictures that I have been able to see it looks like a mini A319 or 737. I don't really have an issue withthe aircraft as long as there isn't a luggage problem. My question is there overhead storage for carry-ons and has anyone ran into a luggage restriction as number of bags allowed to be checked with this type of aircraft?

TIA for your response.........

Embraer 90 is a very nice regional aircraft. Air Canada's fleet of Embraer's have some trouble with winter weather, but I don't know if this applies to the E90, or to any american carriers.

As with any regional aircraft, onboard stowage is restricted, but you may gate-check (check a carry-on size item at the gate, and recieve it while exiting your flight). You run the risk of too much weight, and if it is not a full flight, the airline will ask you to change seats to better balance the weight. Bags may be left behind (although rarely are).

If you already did seat selection -- watch out! The Air Canada E90 has seat 18A as window then 18C as aisle -- 18B (which I had originally booked on the 737) does not exist (at least on the Air Canada E90)! /Sultan

Since booking flights to San Juan the airlines have not only changed times, now then have changed aircraft. The orginal flight was to be a 737 from BNA to CLT then 757 to San Juan. Now the flight is a EMB E90 from BNA to CLT.

As with any regional aircraft, onboard stowage is restricted, but you may gate-check (check a carry-on size item at the gate, and recieve it while exiting your flight). You run the risk of too much weight, and if it is not a full flight, the airline will ask you to change seats to better balance the weight. Bags may be left behind (although rarely are).

On the Embraer 190, it is nothing like the smaller regional jets. You can stand up straight and since it is 2x2 seating, the overhead bins are usually large enough to handle a roll-aboard suitcase.

I wouldn't lump the 190 series in with the 135-145 series of Embraer jets. I think that the the 175-190 series has more in common with Boeing 737's than with the Embraer 135-145's. With that, weight restrictions isn't an issue, especially as the luggage gets stowed UNDER the seating section in these planes instead of at the rear like in the 135-145 series.

Thanks for your reply JJPNYC, I was thinking along the same lines but being that we've never flown this type of aircraft I just couldn't be sure enough to rest easy.

I would have hated to arrive at the gate to find that we could only check one bag or something along that line. The DW would be really disappointed if she couldn't carry everything she owns for a 7 day cruise....:o

Sultan, when they changed the flight times they assigned us to seats 8d and 8f. On the 737 I thought that they were gonna let us have a empty seat between us but on the E90 it looks like they will be together......

You were lucky. Air Canada sent an email about a 20 min change in take-off time but never informed me about the change in aircraft! I had booked on-line directly using Air Canada website./Sultan

Sultan, when they changed the flight times they assigned us to seats 8d and 8f. On the 737 I thought that they were gonna let us have a empty seat between us but on the E90 it looks like they will be together......

LOL, well Sultan if this is luck I guess I'll be happy with it. The flight was booked thru a TA and she wasn't even aware of the change in aircraft till I pointed it out to her. The airline sent notice that the times had changed not the aircraft. Still thought that we were on the 737.... oh well, no harm, no foul......

tomko2, US Air doesn't even list this aircraft on the seatguru site, so when we walk on the plane it will be the first time that I'll see the layout. Air Canada has this aircraft listed and shown but I don't think that the seating is numbered the same.

I've been getting my embraer's mixed up again, ignore my last post

The Embraer 190 (E90) is larger than your typical regional jet, but still smaller than your average Airbus or Boeing. The 2x2 seating is preferred by most travellers. The overhead bins can fit a regular carry on bag, and bags usually make it on the plane. nothing to worry about. And yes, Air Canada's do have winter weather problems.

Archived