Passport Copy in Color - Store Won't Do

mlsully

I read somewhere to make color copies of your passport and even scan them into your email as well to save in case you need a copy. I went to one nationally recognized store who said it is their policy not to make color copies of passports.

Soo... I could check other stores or, will a regular copy suffice if I want to leave at home with relatives and maybe carry a copy with me on excursions?

I know this is just a precaution if we should lose ours.

I read somewhere to make color copies of your passport and even scan them into your email as well to save in case you need a copy. I went to one nationally recognized store who said it is their policy not to make color copies of passports.

Soo... I could check other stores or, will a regular copy suffice

Why wouldn't it?

because with a color copy you can forge easier.

if you really want to make a color copy, just use your home scanner/printer

but a B&W is sufficient.. all that is really necessary is to have the PP # readily identifiable.

Colour copies are illegal in the UK, though few people are aware of that.

I've seen plenty of folk taking colour copies ashore and I've never heard of anyone getting locked-up in the Tower or strung up at Traitor's Gate.

But I can understand a store being unwilling to break the law.

Just print-off at home. Colour or b&w, I don't see anyone will make waves.

JB :)

Just do it on a printer at work....if you have one. Or, just copy the info....a "copy" (color or otherwise) won't really do you any good...it's not acceptable to use, but all the info is on it, if you run into trouble without the original. Just copy the info!

Just do it on a printer at work....if you have one. Or, just copy the info....a "copy" (color or otherwise) won't really do you any good...it's not acceptable to use, but all the info is on it, if you run into trouble without the original. Just copy the info!

That might be interesting.

Take a dollar bill and try to copy it on a color printer. Pretty amazing what you get.

A few years back, the Electronic Frontier Foundation eff.org broke a code used in colour copiers. They put individual pixels of yellow on the face of the document which encode the copier serial number. I think the talk was of stegnography. Anyway, you colour copies tie you to that printer. (They found it in all the major brands they tested but I can not be sure this is world wide.)

I like the summary of others, a b&w copy is fine since the number is the key bit of info to leave with others.

I just use my digital camera and email myself the pictures. I can access gmail almost anywhere including my cellphone. If needed, I can download the pictures to my cell.

I just make colored copies on our home printer.

A number of years ago a couple on our tour had their passports stolen. As they had colored copies -- it was very easy for them to get new passports at the Embassy because of the information on them and the fact that the officials could identify them easier.

Can't quote the law offhand, but I think it is against the law in the US - like copying currency or certain other documents. It has to do with forgery.

its not....it against the law to make a false passport making a copy for your own use of your passport(color or not) is not illegal...

btw its not illegal per se to copy currency in the US either...its illegal to pass them or have in your possession copies intended to be passed.

as long as its one sided

The Counterfeit Detection Act of 1992, Public Law 102-550, in Section 411 of Title 31 of the Code of Federal Regulations, permits color illustrations of U.S. currency, provided:

The illustration is of a size less than three-fourths or more than one and one-half, in linear dimension, of each part of the item illustrated(or)

The illustration is one-sided and

All negatives, plates, positives, digitized storage medium, graphic files, magnetic medium, optical storage devices, and any other thing used in the making of the illustration that contain an image of the illustration or any part thereof are destroyed and/or deleted or erased after their final use

Yes, they said because it was a government document and their policy was not to copy it in color. I don't have color copier but have a regular one so we will go with that.

so if I need a copy of my drivers license for a zillion purposes they won't do it?

I guess I don't understand the need for it to be colored. All you can use it for is to get a new one so you only need the info. It doesn't make a difference if it's colored or not right?

from the official US State Department web site(the issuer of the passports)

"We encourage travelers to make a copy of their passport biographic page",

that is the page the picture is on...

Leave copies of your itinerary, passport data page and visas with family or friends, so you can be contacted in case of an emergency.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/tips_1232.html#new_passport.

and not just one copy!

Make two photocopies of the passport identification page, airline tickets, driver’s license and the credit cards you plan to take. Leave one copy of each with family or friends at home, and pack the other copies separately from the originals. Leave a copy of the serial numbers of your travelers’ checks with a friend or relative at home. Carry your copy with you in a separate place and, as you cash the checks, cross them off the list.

from the official US State Department web site(the issuer of the passports)

"We encourage travelers to make a copy of their passport biographic page",

that is the page the picture is on...

Leave copies of your itinerary, passport data page and visas with family or friends, so you can be contacted in case of an emergency.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/tips_1232.html#new_passport.

and not just one copy!

Make two photocopies of the passport identification page, airline tickets, driver’s license and the credit cards you plan to take. Leave one copy of each with family or friends at home, and pack the other copies separately from the originals. Leave a copy of the serial numbers of your travelers’ checks with a friend or relative at home. Carry your copy with you in a separate place and, as you cash the checks, cross them off the list.

Yes, but it says nothing about a color copy.

This means the OP can go to ANY place that has a copy machine, including the post office.

officemax, staples, office depot all have self serve copy machines.

Yes, but it says nothing about a color copy.

This means the OP can go to ANY place that has a copy machine, including the post office.

officemax, staples, office depot all have self serve copy machines.

don't you think that if they wanted to limit the copy to black and white they would say so? It says copy without limit, you know it could be read to be a copy by hand if you want to really be perverse.

don't you think that if they wanted to limit the copy to black and white they would say so? It says copy without limit, you know it could be read to be a copy by hand if you want to really be perverse.

You're missing my point entirely.

The OP wants a copy. I think she is mistakenly thinking she should have a color copy.

She doesn't HAVE to have a color copy - just a copy.

That means she has more options for getting a photocopy.

The local library would have a regular black and white copy machine she can use for .25 and she doesn't need to stress out over finding a place to get a color copy because a black and white copy would be just fine.

You're missing my point entirely.

The OP wants a copy. I think she is mistakenly thinking she should have a color copy.

She doesn't HAVE to have a color copy - just a copy.

That means she has more options for getting a photocopy.

The local library would have a regular black and white copy machine she can use for .25 and she doesn't need to stress out over finding a place to get a color copy because a black and white copy would be just fine.

you are correct, I missed the point. A black and white copy is just as good. personally I use color copies because they look better...

I guess I've never put any thought into this (copy vs b&w). I used my color printer at home to make copies of ours. We make a copy for EACH port we are going in to (just in case they happen to get wet or whatever we always have more copies). Then when I get home, we just reuse them for our next cruise.

In each of our suitcases (DH and mine) I keep notarial copies of our passports (just in case) ours should go missing. After I unpack our suitcases, the notarial copies stay in the suitcases, so their exactly where they should be the next time we travel. My thoughts are at least, these would help to facilitate getting new ones, if ever the need should arise. I also have a notarial copy in my carry-on bag.

Take it to a self-service store with a scanner, or find a friend with a scanner and printer or all-in-one, and scan it into their computer or make a color copy from their "all-in-one. I use my all-in-one to make copies of mine, but I also scan a copy and keep it in an email file for emergencies.

My bank will make me color copies of my passport or DL for free. They make copies for their records to comply with banking regs since 9/11/2001 and have no problem giving me a copy as well. You might give that a try

Archived