Trip Report Oosterdam Alaska Cruise – July 24-31, 2004 Day 5 of 8

bryanwal

Wednesday, 28 July 2004 – Sitka

We were at anchor early. We got up around 8 and went to breakfast in the Lido. After breakfast we got ready and went to tender around 9 or 9:30. Since we were suite passengers we didn’t need to pick up tender tickets in the Queen’s Lounge. We just got in line. We tendered in to the O’Connell bridge and did our own walking tour of this quaint and picturesque little town. The shopping was more interesting and laid back here than in Juneau – not so many “port-of-call” stores – so we actually bought something here, including shirts for the boys, plus a lacquered Russian box and a small bottle of birch syrup for our neighbors. Plus, of course, we bought post cards at 5 for a dollar. We saw the Alaska Pioneers Home and garden (very well maintained and pretty), the fortress (nice views), and walked to the raptor center, which was a huge disappointment at $12 each, although the walk through town, across the waterfront and the park was pretty. I guess you get the guided tour only if you come on a ship excursion. We got back to the ship around 1:30 for lunch in the Lido then the boys went to play ping pong and Elizabeth and I went for a drink and to read in the Ocean Bar – this time on the non-smoking side. The waitress remembered us from before. We were there for a good 90 minutes. We decided we liked having a little time to ourselves so we changed the Pinnacle Grill reservation to just the two of us. Then we went back up and changed for exercise. Kevin & I ran three miles on the promenade deck while Elizabeth used the bikes in the gym, then we went up to the gym to do abs and check out the stair climbers. We told the boys they were on their own for dinner – they didn’t seem too disappointed and took it well. Then the boys and I went out to the verandah and watched them bring in the tenders. One of the tenders was hoisted up right under the verandah, so we got a close up view.

The boys ended up not eating together – Kevin went to the Lido and Jeffrey went by himself to the Vista Dining Room because he didn’t want to miss Dutch night and wanted to see what the hats were all about. He sat all by himself at our big table  but Davis and Alit took good care of him and kept him entertained. Elizabeth and I ate at the Pinnacle Grill – I had chicken Thai soup and duck, filet mignon with béarnaise sauce, asparagus with béarnaise sauce, grilled mushrooms, and we shared chocolate volcano cake and vanilla, coffee and chocolate crème brulee. The service was very nice. I dressed up a little and wore my sport coat, even though it was casual night. We went by the room afterwards to change into something more casual before heading to Sam Powers’ magician act. It was the best saw-a-woman-in-half act I’ve seen and some other amazing illusions. However, the audience didn’t seem to rise to the occasion, which Sam told me is typical for second seating.

- Bryan Walton

Archived