Is Alaska worth the 10 grand its going to cost?

Alliwanttodoiscruise

We are planning a cruise to Alaska in 2013. I am not cheap and I really want to go. However, it is going to cost 10,000 for my husband and I and our two kids unless we go on some cheap cruise line and that just isn't us. If we are going to go we want to do it right. But a little voice in my head keeps nagging at me about how that is a lot of money to spend for 1 wk.

Do other people that have been to Alaska feel it was worth the expense?

Hi there,

We are cruising in July to Alaska. We originally said the same thing.. 10K is a lot of money, for sure. We booked a year in advance and have had 2 price reductions so far (I found the price reductions and my TA reduced the price for us.) What we thought was going to be an much more expensive cruise has now whittled down to 4K for a balcony cabin. Still expensive but not as bad as previosuly anticipated. That , of course, does not include excursions, which we are doing on our own and not through the cruise line, which brings the costs down as well. That all said, you also have 2 kids. If the kids stay in the same room, their rates should be reduced as a 3rd and 4th person.

I assume you are not considering the major cruiselines and are looking at the unique small ship sailings?? I have no idea it's "worth" to you???? Which is the only thing that matters here, but clearly they are excellent itineraries, superior to the regular cruiseline.

Curious. You won't go on "some cheap cruise line", but are worried if the price (on a not cheap cruise line, I assume) is worth it. Hmmmmm....

Looking at your past posts, you seem to have selected RCI, and also asked about Princess. Those are standard mass market cruise lines, with average prices. Not sure which ones would be a "some cheap cruise line".

Both RCI and Princess will give you a good cruise in Alaska.

Curious. You won't go on "some cheap cruise line", but are worried if the price (on a not cheap cruise line, I assume) is worth it. Hmmmmm....

Looking at your past posts, you seem to have selected RCI, and also asked about Princess. Those are standard mass market cruise lines, with average prices. Not sure which ones would be a "some cheap cruise line".

Both RCI and Princess will give you a good cruise in Alaska.

If this is the case??? Then, $10000 for one week is way on the high end, and must include some suite cabin, and costly tours??? I was gone a month last year, with a 3 day add on to Prudhoe at $2000, 2 people, my trip was no where near $10 grand. :)

If this is the case??? Then, $10000 for one week is way on the high end, and must include some suite cabin, and costly tours??? I was gone a month last year, with a 3 day add on to Prudhoe at $2000, 2 people, my trip was no where near $10 grand. :)

I have to assume the OP was including airfare. OP does mention bringing two kids.

Just a note to the OP, we are a family of 4 looking at cruising/visiting Alaska in 2013 as well. Our price tag looks to be about the same. This is cruising on either HAL, RCI or Celebrity. Right now Princess is way too high for 3rd & 4th passengers. Here's a basic breakdown for those of you who can't understand the price:

Cruise Cost for family of 4 in a basic outside cabin - no balcony: $4500-$5000

Airfare for 4 from nowhere, USA estimated at: $2500 - $3500

Cost of spending a few days before or after cruise on land... rental car, lodging, activities, etc. (cause I don't want to spend all this money and time to get there and just do the cruise only!): $2000

This doesn't even include extra expenses on the cruise like excursions, beverages, etc...

So it does add up for a family, for sure! I know there may be price reductions later on, but I can't count it. Of course we have to cruise when the kiddoes are out of school so that leaves us with peak prices.

I've seen good deals on HAL when kids share a room with parents. Other cruiselines probably do the same.

It the cruise is too costly, consider a DIY land tour instead. Include boat trips at Kenai Fjords from Seward and Prince William Sound from Whittier.

You can get a full size car for under $200 a week if you watch for the sale in August, 7 nights in hotels/cabins for $200 a night. In a week you could easily spend a few nights in Seward and Denali and have yourselves a family adventure.

Back in 2003 I took my family of four on an AK cruise - we spent around 8K for the entire trip including excursions. We took 2 cabins - a balcony and an inside - the cost was around 5k - the rest was spent on excursions etc. Living in Portland Or we drove to Seattle so we only had fuel and parking to pay for.

AK is a wonderful place - it has something for everybody - history, wildlife, nature, first nation culture - and yes even tourist traps.

BTW we also looked at spending a week in Disney World (FL) - by the time we added airfare the cost was the same around 8k.

We are taking our third trip to AK in less than 80 days - there will be three of us in a suite - the cruise alone is 7k and we have already spent another 1k in excursions with more to come. Again no airfare for us - but we are taking the train to Seattle the day before the cruise and spending a night in a hotel - using some of those hard earned rewards points :D.

One must remember that AK is a short season for cruise ships- about 20 weeks - it costs them money to move the ships from Miami to Seattle and Vancouver - the port costs etc. are higher - again due to the short season. Yes I know they make some money on the four legs of the transition - two pacific coastal and two Panama canal - but not sure if that offsets the actual cost of moving the ships.

Not sure if OP is factoring in excursions, but those can easily run an additional $1000 per person if any flight seeing is involved.

Is it worth it? Only OP can decide if it is for her family. DW and I spent a lot more than that for 2 weeks last year and it was worth every penny. We will probably go again next year and spend much more than OP is suggesting.

If you can afford it, then Alaska is definitely worth it, and DO NOT true to skimp or do it on a budget. While some prolific posters think that is the way to do it, it may be a once in a lifetime trip and trying to do it on a budget does not do Alaska or yourself justice.

Well I'm going to Alaska (round trip) in June and my outside cabin (solo) is costing me $3,500 plus another $500 - 700 for a few excursions. Train fare to SFO, departure port, is pretty small, so I don't even factor that in. So I think the $10k isn't unreasonable. Expensive, yes; unreasonable, no. Worth it, absolutely!

For our family of 4, we're at about $5,800 for two outside cabins (incl taxes, fees and gratuities) and airfare. I don't think transportation and excursions will get us to $10k, but still a decent investment. I have not doubt it will be worth it, but not a trip we could take frequently...

I've got a party of 4, including 2 kids. Our balcony cabin is running around $5000. We are taking the train to Vancouver so that's cheaper than flying. But I guess I'm somewhat surprised that it has to end up being $10,000 --ours won't. If money got tight I think I would give up the balcony or pricier excursions.

Agreed that it is similar to a week at Disney World for us in terms of price.

Like others have said, only you can decide. I booked our trip last March, and can't believe it's almost here! For us too, it will be close to $10K, but I am thrilled and know we are blessed to have this opportunity! Our boys are 17 & 9 1/2 and they are excited and have been involved in our planning. I feel it has inspired learning as the excitement has been built, so that is an added plus. If your children aren't of age to really remember and be part of the planning, your hesitation is totally understandable to me.

Airfare for 4 ($2K), 2 cabins (Aft balcony for us & inside across the hall for boys-slightly under $5K), Ship Tips, Pre/Post cruise hotel, Excursions and we are a little over $9K and I still have the ship bill, taxi's, food in the 2 cities, airline bag fees etc to pay for.

I truly believe it will be a lasting family memory, and will be so worth it for us. My husband owns his own business, and because of that, we aren't going to make it to Denali, so that part is disappointing. I know we will plan return trip, and that time, I will do it smart, start in the North and head South, so he can't wiggle out of Denali!! :p

I hope that should you decide to go, that your family will have an amazing trip and wish you safe travels!

Partner and I went on the Celebrity Mil for a 11 day cruise/land balcony and it cost us under 8k for us both, including flight, at that time. At each port we did a couple of excursions, including a flight, Taku glacier and dinner. Well worth the price.

You're making memories, I remember my partner saying. And was she

right.

Going back to Alaska in June 2012, on the Infinity RT with another friend. Older now and will be doing fewer excursions. Looking forward to it.

More memories

What is "cheap" and what is "worth the expense?" That is all in the eye of the beholder!

If you've already decided you can't do the "cheap" lines than there you go spend the money. What is the definition of cheap, versus value, versus experience you want and are willing to pay for. I have sailed them "cheap" and also some mid-range, I guess I find them both value's. I for one think those smaller more exclusive are ridiculous, but that is me and what I value for the $. Also balcony, suite etc, speciality resturant I find ridiculous, but again that's me. In the end only you can decide, no different than at home when you go out for dinner $10/person, $20/person, $50/person, or $500/person what is cheap and what is a worth the expense.

Also don't forget to add activities in port, after spending the "right" amount on cruise/cabin make sure you factor in the ports where one can easily spend between 100-600 or more/person per port which would equal another 2,000-8,000 if you don't go "cheap!"

We are planning a cruise to Alaska in 2013. I am not cheap and I really want to go. However, it is going to cost 10,000 for my husband and I and our two kids unless we go on some cheap cruise line and that just isn't us. If we are going to go we want to do it right. But a little voice in my head keeps nagging at me about how that is a lot of money to spend for 1 wk.

Yes!!! An Alaskan cruise is worth every penny. The wife and I went in May 2011 on a rountrip Vancouver to Seattle, outside cabin. Loved it so much we just booked a Northbound aft balcony May 2013. My advice, try not to think about the total price. Pay it off in bits and pieces. Our once in a lifetime trip seems to have turned into a every few years trip!!! I Love Alaska!

It the cruise is too costly, consider a DIY land tour instead. Include boat trips at Kenai Fjords from Seward and Prince William Sound from Whittier.

You can get a full size car for under $200 a week if you watch for the sale in August, 7 nights in hotels/cabins for $200 a night. In a week you could easily spend a few nights in Seward and Denali and have yourselves a family adventure.

Very wise advice and the trip for four wouldn't come close to $10,000.

What is "cheap" and what is "worth the expense?" That is all in the eye of the beholder!

If you've already decided you can't do the "cheap" lines than there you go spend the money. What is the definition of cheap, versus value, versus experience you want and are willing to pay for. I have sailed them "cheap" and also some mid-range, I guess I find them both value's. I for one think those smaller more exclusive are ridiculous, but that is me and what I value for the $. Also balcony, suite etc, speciality resturant I find ridiculous, but again that's me. In the end only you can decide, no different than at home when you go out for dinner $10/person, $20/person, $50/person, or $500/person what is cheap and what is a worth the expense.

Also don't forget to add activities in port, after spending the "right" amount on cruise/cabin make sure you factor in the ports where one can easily spend between 100-600 or more/person per port which would equal another 2,000-8,000 if you don't go "cheap!"

where is LIKE button:p

We were in the same predicament but we discovered that we could do a balcony and an inside room for around $6,500 for June 10th on NCL Pearl FOR AN (extended) FAMILY OF FIVE. It is a lot of coin but we decided this is the year (for us). You also do NOT have to spend a TON of money in each port on excursions. They are nice, but you can often find alternatives and even do things "on your own" for a LOT less $'s with essentially no risk. Pick one port to simply see the port and not spend a whole lot of $'s. If you are like our family, you won't even spend the HUGE $'s that others do on the ship in alcohol (Only I drink and in moderation so my typical bar bill is usually under $200 for the ENTIRE trip). There ARE ways to do a quality cruise on a "name-brand" ship for a reasonable price. We've done it many times over the years. Now, paying for the flights to get us to Seattle, well that is quite another challenge.

Very wise advice and the trip for four wouldn't come close to $10,000.

For 4 people, one cabin (obstructed OV :eek:), airfare for 4 from Flyover Country to Seattle, 3-4 days in Seattle (hotel, rental, museums etc) in June we're near $8k and that's with minimal excursions (train for $500, please) and redeye flights. With a balcony and more spending I can easily see $10k.

Nevertheless, I was not amused when I saw Princess advertise inside cabins for Greece or other European destinations for a 12 day costing almost as much as insides for a 7-day in Alaska. Unfortunately, flying four people to Greece or Italy or what have you is another $4k on top of what we're spending... So in the 'is Alaska worth it' department, if one does not count airfare and goes by cabin cost alone, I would have to make an unfavorable judgement (and I haven't even started my trip yet :-))

Please provide details on how you can possibly be paying 10k. Unless you are doing everything in the most expensive way, it seems hard to believe. I am doing 2 weeks in AK (1 wk on land and 1 wk on ship) for 3 people and it will be nowhere near 10k.

DON

If you can afford it, then Alaska is definitely worth it, and DO NOT true to skimp or do it on a budget. While some prolific posters think that is the way to do it, it may be a once in a lifetime trip and trying to do it on a budget does not do Alaska or yourself justice.

It appears this may be in reference to my posts?? The place where I cheap out is for the cabin. I have been on 74 cruises and at this point, couldn't care less what I get. The ship is meals lodging and transportation, nothing more. I am picky about my port activities and do any tours I want. I frequently extend my time far more than most people as well.

This post is loaded with very different ideas. Money is what is in the title. :) Worth can only be answered by each person. Popular is the choice of the cabin, with outside/balcony being a favorable preference. I do NOT agree with skimping on touring, it is at least 50% of an Alaska visit. :) It's a delicate mix and match, that with homework, and reworking, will yield the best choice for that person.

Archived