What to wear sight seeing on Mediterranean cruise in Oct

Doing a Mediterranean Cruise the first 12 days of Oct., Barcelona, Rome, Florence, Naples, Nice, Sicily Athens and Turkey...any suggestions on what to wear sightseeing..I tend to over pack and am trying to avoid this for this cruise.....Thanks,

Tricia

Keep in mind the sights you want to see. If going into churches is on your agenda, you will need knees and shoulders covered. In Turkey, if touring a mosque, a scarf for the head is needed. When we toured the Blue Mosque in Turkey last spring, they did have head scarfs to borrow, but you might want to have your own. Also, you have to remove your shoes, so have socks in your purse if wearing sandals. I often wore capris, and a tank top with a cotton blouse over it.

Remember, you can wear one pair of bottoms more than once, and try to keep to a color scheme where you can mix and match.

We went to most of the places you mentioned. You will love it.

I agree with the above poster. If you plan to go into any kind of church you should not wear shorts and it is better to have your arms covered at least with short sleeves. Mix and matching clothes will also work out well on a cruise like yours. I hope you have a wonderful time. You are going to some of the most beautiful places on Earth!:D

I did a similar cruise two years ago, and it was very warm in Turkey and Egypt at the end of October. Long pants, closed shoes and a hat to ward off the sun, sand and bugs; a rain jacket and sweater as it was cold and misty in Italy. Definitely the best trip I've ever taken - enjoy!

PS - We booked a tour of Amalfi and Sorrento with Marcello Maresca - phenomenal! Recommend him highly.

Doing a Mediterranean Cruise the first 12 days of Oct., Barcelona, Rome, Florence, Naples, Nice, Sicily Athens and Turkey...any suggestions on what to wear sightseeing..I tend to over pack and am trying to avoid this for this cruise.....Thanks,

Tricia

Of course there's no guarantee on the weather, but our first med cruise was in October and visited all ports above except Turkey. I never had a need for shorts, it was long sleeved t-shirts and pants in every port except Nice & Capri where I wore pants and sleeveless tank. Even Athens I carried around a cashmere cardigan which I ended up wearing. So cover your shoulders and your knees and have a cardigan or shawl to wear if it gets chilly.

Looking at photos of myself and family in Italy in October 2008, we all had lightweight jackets, either tied at the waist, around the neck or carried on the arm.

Take pants that you really like to wear. And good shoes to walk in, if you want to "fit in" a bit more and not stand out so much as a tourist, leather shoes would be better. On the other hand, not many of us can get by blending in with the locals, so it's not too big of a deal to look like a tourist.

Plan on having laundry done to cut back the amount of clothing. A few basic pairs of pants with several tops that will go with most of the pants, to mix and match. Knits travel well, I had really good luck with Chico's Zenergy line of clothing, one pair long black pants with a matching jacket worn with different shirts. I did take one pair of lightweight jeans and I was glad I did, I wore them several times.

Believe me, you will notice others on your same ship wearing the same clothing several times, it's not a big deal. Make the trip about the tours, be comfortable so you can walk a lot and splurge a bit in the clothing department for formal nights.

Considering it is already October, I personally don't think you will be needing shorts and tanktops. I would take 1, max 2 of those. You are best off wearing layers. Nights may be chilly, take a cardigan or light summercoat or windbreaker. You will be walking a hell of a lot, so take good shoes. Also note that a lot of old European towns have cobbled stones or uneven pavements.

Even if you don't plan to go into churches or mosques, you might consider dressing conservatively anyway, since most of your ports of call are classical cities and not so much beach resorts.

And remember: You are not going to go to the middle of nowhere or third world countries. If you forget something or have the wrong stuff with you, shopping in these towns is fun too...stylish, good quality... Do bring a conversion chart for European sizes, and remember Southern European women are petite.

• 2 weeks later...

Tricia

did a similar cruise in september weather was mostly warm found a pair of capris or linen slacks where great with a singlet top and took a wrapped up to nothing little thin tie in the front long sleeve top which i used to tie onto the handle of my bag for whenever the weather turned cool or we where going into a church etc did the job as has been previosly posted colour co ordinate your wardrobe with the odd long sleeve top and or shirt singlets etc and you are set

Archived