"Younger" Solo Cruisers

zactak

Hey everyone!

I am 29 and going on my first solo cruise in April of next year on the Celebrity Eclipse. My parents like to visit places I'm usually not interested in and most of my friends don't have the money to go on vacations like I want, so I've decided to go to Europe alone on a TA. Are there any "younger" solo cruisers out there? What have your experiences been like? I would categorize younger as 18-early 40's. It seems like most solo cruisers are in the 50s or older.

I'm excited for my first solo and transatlantic cruise. I'm planning to stay in Europe another two weeks after we dock.

Hi! I will be 28 next week and have been cruising solo for the past two years. I think that generally most solo travellers are a bit older than us, but I also think the age range in general depends on the cruise line, itinerary and time of year.

The only thing I find is that you get questioned more about why you are travelling alone when you are younger, most people seem to find it more unacceptable for some reason. However, saying that, I figure that is their problem not mine! I have always had a great time and am sure you will too :)

For a bit more insight, check out my blog type reviews (long with lots of pics!) that are in my signature, they cover my experiences in detail.

Happy cruising :D

I went on my first solo this October and I had a blast! I met people ranging from the 30's all the way to the 60's and it was cool knowing that I could hang out with them but also leave to do my own thing at anytime. Some of the group already planned another cruise next year out of San Juan, P.R. I will also be sailing solo on that one. By the way I'm 27 years old from Orlando, FL.

Hey everyone!

I am 29 and going on my first solo cruise in April of next year on the Celebrity Eclipse. My parents like to visit places I'm usually not interested in and most of my friends don't have the money to go on vacations like I want, so I've decided to go to Europe alone on a TA. Are there any "younger" solo cruisers out there? What have your experiences been like? I would categorize younger as 18-early 40's. It seems like most solo cruisers are in the 50s or older.

I'm excited for my first solo and transatlantic cruise. I'm planning to stay in Europe another two weeks after we dock.

I took the Epic on a TA in April. I'm 37 and there were a few of us solo cruisers in their 20s - 40s. Often hanging out together. For the most part though yes people will be a bit older, but it doesn't mean that the 50s plus weren't a lot of fun to be around either.

So while there weren't a ton of us there were plenty, and you'd often find people in this age group in Bliss (dance venue) later in the evening.

Just this month I was on the Jade solo for a 10 day and once again there were plenty of us in this age group and we seemed to find each other to hang out with. I even wound up hanging out in Venice with one of them after the cruise.

So I wouldn't worry about not having anyone around that was in your general age range, but if I were you I'd give myself a chance to spend time around a range of people because as I'm sure you know interesting comes in many packages :)

If you're interested in reading about some of my solo experiences they're in my blog link below.

zactak, I'm so glad you started this thread!! I've been seriously considering doing a solo cruise either in March or July 2013. It's just been difficult because I feel there's not much said about it and, of course, the question of the demographic of other solos.

xenagurl, adrianypr and lara_lox, you ladies have DEFINITELY empowered me to do the solo female cruiser thing. I've traveled internationally+domestically alone but never cruise. There's a bit of a stigma to cruising solo as a female...people act like you'll automatically get kidnapped or disappear or something....

Anyways, you've all really encouraged me to go for it. I'd probably start on the Epic since the Studio staterooms would increase the likelihood of me having lots of fellow solos. Xena & Lara, I'll def be reading thru your blogs. How do you get a roomie when you go solo? Xena I saw on your blog that you had a roomie?

Thanks again for this good thread.

Happy planning and smooth sailing.

I'm 38 and doing my first solo cruise in a couple of weeks. I've gone to Europe alone, and many places in the U.S., but never a cruise.

Why Celebrity? Just curious. They usually get an middle aged crowd from what I understand. What about Carnival, Royal, Princess, Norwegian? You're more likely to find other solo's in your age range.

Hey everyone!

Zac, I'm so envious of your future TA "Solo" cruise. I've just completed my 3rd Solo cruise a little over a week ago and it was by far the best cruise I've been on. My first solo cruise I was 37 I think, so not quite as "young" as you. Given the chance and opportunity, I wish I had started cruising "solo" when I was 28. I'm getting ready to cruise again in less than a week and already know I'm going to miss when I cruise solo. Will still be a great cruise as all cruises are good, but it just won't be the same.

Below are the experiences of the three solo's I went on.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1312348http:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1674131

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=36101118&posted=1#post36101118

Experience has been great on all three of my experiences. I've met so many nice people and some I'm still in contact with today. Some I hope to cruise again with one day. On this last cruise when asked if I was traveling alone I said I was and many were envious to be able to do what I want, when I want, have a cabin to myself, etc. Was pretty funny.

zactak, I'm so glad you started this thread!! I've been seriously considering doing a solo cruise either in March or July 2013. It's just been difficult because I feel there's not much said about it and, of course, the question of the demographic of other solos.

xenagurl, adrianypr and lara_lox, you ladies have DEFINITELY empowered me to do the solo female cruiser thing. I've traveled internationally+domestically alone but never cruise. There's a bit of a stigma to cruising solo as a female...people act like you'll automatically get kidnapped or disappear or something....

Anyways, you've all really encouraged me to go for it. I'd probably start on the Epic since the Studio staterooms would increase the likelihood of me having lots of fellow solos. Xena & Lara, I'll def be reading thru your blogs. How do you get a roomie when you go solo? Xena I saw on your blog that you had a roomie?

Travelin_Teacher, GO FOR IT!!!! Solo cruising is the best. As stated above with Zac were a brief bit of my experiences of my first solo cruises.

Zac,

I echo a lot of the other posters' comments above. I've already solo cruised at least 3 times and I've made great friends ranging in ages from 27 - 45+, who I'm still in contact with (thank you Facebook!).

The first day may feel a bit strange, since everybody is new to the ship and you're trying to figure out what's what, but the thing I love about cruising is that there's activities going on all of the time tailored to different tastes, so no matter what you're interested in, you'll have something to do with like minded people... and since the alcohol is flowing, everybody is a LOT friendlier than they are in their normal environment... overall, by day 2 or 3 you will have a group of people to hang out with and by day 7 you'll be sad to leave them (if you do a 7 day cruise).

So in short... go for it, and have a blast!

Am about to go on my 4th solo for New Year's in a few weeks and already looking forward to it.

EDIT: Oh, yeah forgot to mention... I'm 36

Thanks, gauchotex and MrFunintheSun for the encouragement.

I really do want my 1st solo to be 7 days but there are some VERY CHEAP weekend trips in January and so I'm thinking I'll try those out since the price including the extra solo percentage is still under $500. :D

Has anyone on here used CruiseCritic or facebook or any other social media to find a roomie as a way to ease travel costs? Or will some lines put solos together if they're open to it? I'm so excited! I'll be reading ALLLLLL of your blogs/reviews in the coming days.

:)

**Oh, and I'm 28. Forgot to say that in my original post.**

I would rather pay the supplement than to find a roomie. Lots of things to consider...firstoff the person would be a stranger.

Sleeping habits....snoring....do you really trust a stranger in your room with access to your stuff (cellphone, ipod, kindle, money, passport, etc.)...is the person a night owl, do they make noise while you're sleeping (or vice versa), are you one of those people that MUST fall asleep with the tv on? because your roomie may not be, or vice versa. Lack of privacy.

In all seriousness, what if they're a freaking nutcase? :eek: The cons far outweigh the pro's, IMO. Then again, I'm a light sleeper and need my personal space. :p

Has anyone on here used CruiseCritic or facebook or any other social media to find a roomie as a way to ease travel costs? Or will some lines put solos together if they're open to it?

I've never used such. CC I don't believe allows that.

But I don't think I'd want a roomate either. Having a room to myself during such a cruise adds to the "Cruising solo" adventure and really not having to worry about others or what others are up to. I know its kind of rough in most cases paying for two people in a room when its only one. However I try to look at all in a different way.

Say if you wanted to just stay at a hotel and stay on a beach over the ocean. You'd surely in most cases pay more per night for that hotel room and not get food, entertainment etc as you do on most cruises. Depending of course on the room type you choose, etc.

My last cruise I cruised 9 days, my per night cost was about $ 109 a night with the taxes if I combine the two cruises together. Not counting tips though. Be rough to get all that I got on those 9 days in a hotel on the beach. Said same hotel rate is based on double occupancy no matter what if its one or two.

I really do want my 1st solo to be 7 days but there are some VERY CHEAP weekend trips in January and so I'm thinking I'll try those out since the price including the extra solo percentage is still under $500. :D

That's a great way to start and a quick weekend get away is always good. That was basically my second solo cruise (weekend getaway) and when I cruised that second time it completely confirmed I really enjoyed cruising solo.

When you do decide to cruise and then come back please be sure to come back here and tell us all about the wonderful time you had!!

JerseyGirl,

WOAH! Calm down, it was just a question hahaha.:p I was just curious. I don't know if I'd ever do that, just asking lol.

Although my roommates in college were strangers who I never me until move-in day in the dorms and they turned out to be (relatively) normal. And I paid $20,000 to live with those strangers. :rolleyes:

I guess as a former Peace Corps Volunteer and as a current short-term missionary, I have little worries about being dropped in a foreign place with strangers hahaha it's happened multiple times in my short life :)

But thanks for your response. It's good to know that a total stranger would so passionately want me to be safe and comfortable. :) Good stuff.

Cheers.

zactak

Cool! :D

LOL I know that feeling. I've been around the world and back again alone and have heard some interesting comments regarding being alone, but the older I get the less I hear it which is nice...I think. LOL

No I didn't have a roommate on the ship. Pre-cruise in Rome and when we stayed overnight in Egypt, Paula who I met here on Cruise Critic and I stayed in the same room. We'd gotten along well via email and Facebook that we figured we'd be cool rooming those few days. And we were. We had a blast together.

I have to be honest while the studio rooms make it easier to meet other solos the size of the Epic can make that harder in some ways. I meet people just as easily on Jewel class ships as I did the Epic. :)

Bon Voyage and many safe, fun and happy travels!

It looks like I have a few blog entries I need to read. Thanks lara_lox, xenagurl and MrFunInTheSun for posting reviews of your own experiences. I've read a few things from others about solo cruising, but it's always nice to read more.

The only thing I find is that you get questioned more about why you are travelling alone when you are younger, most people seem to find it more unacceptable for some reason. However, saying that, I figure that is their problem not mine! I have always had a great time and am sure you will too :)

For a bit more insight, check out my blog type reviews (long with lots of pics!) that are in my signature, they cover my experiences in detail.

Happy cruising :D

I assumed the questioning was a thing that you get sometimes when cruising solo, especially at a younger age. It's not holding me back from going, but it does put some butterflies in my stomach. It's important for me to remember it is them and not me.

How do you get a roomie when you go solo? Xena I saw on your blog that you had a roomie?

I thought it was an interesting topic too. I've seen a lot of articles on solo traveling, but most of those articles are either journalists on free cruises, or older solo cruisers.

If you can find an interest group you may be able to find a roommate. I am planning to book through an organization that takes groups on cruises. They have a room share program that I am considering signing up for. People do bring up good points about having a stranger in a room with you, though.

I'm 38 and doing my first solo cruise in a couple of weeks. I've gone to Europe alone, and many places in the U.S., but never a cruise.

Why Celebrity? Just curious. They usually get an middle aged crowd from what I understand. What about Carnival, Royal, Princess, Norwegian? You're more likely to find other solo's in your age range.

You'll have to let us know how your first solo cruise goes! I would love to read a review about it. What cruise line and ship are you going on? What's the itinerary?

How was traveling Europe alone? I am planning on going to Germany, Poland and Italy after the cruise.

I picked Celebrity for a few reasons. I know their demographic is typically older, which was a fairly big factor when I was considering cruises. I've traveled on RCCL before and really enjoyed my time on the ship. It was the first line I considered. The ships I was interested in seemed older, had mediocre reviews from people and things to do on the ship seemed lacking. I considered NCL, but the studio already sold out before I could book the ship. The itinerary offered wasn't ideal for me either.

I was drawn to Celebrity because it seems to be more laid back, contemporary, and has better food... which is a big factor for me. The itinerary was great, I love wine and beer and they seem to have specialty bars just for that. I am also booking through an organization that has dinner, cocktail parties and does shore excursions together. It gives you the ability to participate in as much or as little as you want. The last reason is that it seems like there will be less children on the cruise. I just hope being on a ship meant for older people won't be a mistake.

I would rather pay the supplement than to find a roomie. Lots of things to consider...firstoff the person would be a stranger.

Sleeping habits....snoring....do you really trust a stranger in your room with access to your stuff (cellphone, ipod, kindle, money, passport, etc.)...is the person a night owl, do they make noise while you're sleeping (or vice versa), are you one of those people that MUST fall asleep with the tv on? because your roomie may not be, or vice versa. Lack of privacy.

In all seriousness, what if they're a freaking nutcase? :eek: The cons far outweigh the pro's, IMO. Then again, I'm a light sleeper and need my personal space. :p

These are things that I have thought about because the organization I am going through has a share room feature. I expressed interest in that feature. I figure and hope that if worse comes to worse I can always try to upgrade to another stateroom and pay the difference if I have issues with a roommate. Since my vacation is going to be so long, I am trying to cut financial corners where I can. I just hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the butt.

Acutally, there is a thread at the top of this forum and it against CC

policy to ask for roommates or to try and find one on here. (Just

an FYI).

I am 54 and have been living on my own for almost my entire adult life.

I always sail solo, whatever the cost ends up being (within my budget)...I don't share

the clicker here at home, so sharing a cabin? No thanks.:)

I started cruising in May 2003 on a regular basis...solo.....and for me?

I wouldn't sail any other way:D

Solo cruising is fantastic. I've been lucky to have cruised around the world as a solo and as a woman, it's the safest way I could think of to travel to some of the most exotic ports in the world.

As for the age demographic, zactak, you have a couple of things going against you in the younger demo. Celebrity does tend to attract an older cruiser and trans ocean sailings do have the tendency of making that age even older. Sorry, but the general rule of thumb is, the longer the cruise, the older the passenger. Plus, when you cruise during school season, the age is definitely higher.

That doesn't mean you won't have fun, but be prepared. The Eclipse is a great ship and Celebrity is an excellent line. You'll have fun.

JerseyGirl,

WOAH! Calm down, it was just a question hahaha.:p I was just curious. I don't know if I'd ever do that, just asking lol.

Although my roommates in college were strangers who I never me until move-in day in the dorms and they turned out to be (relatively) normal. And I paid $20,000 to live with those strangers. :rolleyes:

I guess as a former Peace Corps Volunteer and as a current short-term missionary, I have little worries about being dropped in a foreign place with strangers hahaha it's happened multiple times in my short life :)

But thanks for your response. It's good to know that a total stranger would so passionately want me to be safe and comfortable. :) Good stuff.

Cheers.

Obviously one of my pet peeves is to have my sleep disturbed. Perhaps it was due to sharing a room with my sister while we lived at home, and she would (on purpose) wait until I was just about asleep to come into our room and start "looking for something".

I hope if you go the roomie route it works for you....Murphy's law would totally apply to me, so I have to expect the worst sometimes :p

You'll have to let us know how your first solo cruise goes! I would love to read a review about it. What cruise line and ship are you going on? What's the itinerary?

How was traveling Europe alone? I am planning on going to Germany, Poland and Italy after the cruise.

I picked Celebrity for a few reasons. I know their demographic is typically older, which was a fairly big factor when I was considering cruises. I've traveled on RCCL before and really enjoyed my time on the ship. It was the first line I considered. The ships I was interested in seemed older, had mediocre reviews from people and things to do on the ship seemed lacking. I considered NCL, but the studio already sold out before I could book the ship. The itinerary offered wasn't ideal for me either.

I was drawn to Celebrity because it seems to be more laid back, contemporary, and has better food... which is a big factor for me. The itinerary was great, I love wine and beer and they seem to have specialty bars just for that. I am also booking through an organization that has dinner, cocktail parties and does shore excursions together. It gives you the ability to participate in as much or as little as you want. The last reason is that it seems like there will be less children on the cruise. I just hope being on a ship meant for older people won't be a mistake.

These are things that I have thought about because the organization I am going through has a share room feature. I expressed interest in that feature. I figure and hope that if worse comes to worse I can always try to upgrade to another stateroom and pay the difference if I have issues with a roommate. Since my vacation is going to be so long, I am trying to cut financial corners where I can. I just hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the butt.

I hope you have a great trip!! I hear ya on cutting corners, when I do a long trip I do the same so I get it.

I will post a review. I'm leaving in 11 days :D Carnival Freedom to Key West, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios. I'm really looking forward to it. I booked back in April, and the reality that it's actually happening is hitting me. Very, very cool :-) To answer your other question, I've gone to Ireland twice by myself on two occassions, did the whole car rental thing and mapped out my trip. I rented a house for part of it. I was definitely the most awesome thing I've ever done. YOUR Europe trip sounds incredible! I wish I could get a month off here or there, because if I did I would most definitely do an extended trip to far off lands.

My sister has been to the countries you're visiting, and loved every one of them. I think you will truly enjoy it. Check out tripadvisor.com and look up attractions, museums, etc.

Also, a good tip that someone shared with me is when you're over there, go to the ATM and take money out of your account in $100 US increments (so if it's 125 Euros to 100 US dollars, take out 125 Euros, then you will be able to track your money by knowing that you took out $100. It worked for me, and have done it each time I've gone. And make sure to tell your bank/credit card companies that you'll be traveling overseas....otherwise they will think your card is stolen and decline your purchase.

Hey everyone!

I am also in my late twenties (28) and am going on my first solo cruise in march. I totally understand about the friends not having the money etc. I actually had a solo cruise planned for this past summer, but my sister and brother in law ended up going also. We had a great time but about halfway through the week It dawned on me that it was way more uncomfortable tagging along as the third wheel than it would have been to truly been "solo". So this year I'm taking the plunge! It may sound crazy but I haven't even thought of inviting anyone to go with me. As I do my planning and my sailing date slowly gets closer, I definately have mixed emotions though, one day I am super excited and the next day I am super nervous!

I stumbled on this thread and am interested because in January, DW and I will be accompanied by our DS (24) and we want to get some time on our own without him feeling abandoned. He is actually VERY social, loves stuff like karaoke and audience participation -- so I think we will all have a blast. It sounds like he will likley find kindred spirits, at least I hope he finds some other un-attached, fun folks like you all to hang with! All suggestions that I can pass to him are welcome.

I will post a review. I'm leaving in 11 days :D Carnival Freedom to Key West, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios. I'm really looking forward to it. I booked back in April, and the reality that it's actually happening is hitting me. Very, very cool :-)

You'll love the Carnival Freedom JerseyGirl. I've sailed her twice with my last cruise on 11/11/12 being solo. Was one of my best cruises. Be sure to go to the piano bar and sing along with Marty! He's a riot and draws in a great crowd every night. My live trip report on the Carnival Freedom is below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1734869

My trip on the Freedom also went to Key West, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios.

Have a great time, 11 days will be here before you know it!!

I am excited to attempt my first solo cruise in two weeks on the Epic in a studio. This will be my third cruise. I see that a lot of females have an easier time meeting people as solo travelers. It seems that young male solo cruisers are the least common, where people are more likely to ask why he is traveling alone.

Acutally, there is a thread at the top of this forum and it against CC

policy to ask for roommates or to try and find one on here. (Just

an FYI).

I am 54 and have been living on my own for almost my entire adult life.

I always sail solo, whatever the cost ends up being (within my budget)...I don't share

the clicker here at home, so sharing a cabin? No thanks.

I started cruising in May 2003 on a regular basis...solo.....and for me?

I wouldn't sail any other way

Just FYI - no one was asking, looking, or seeking a cruisemate. Just asking questions about solo cruising as well as questions on having a roommate.

This is a great thread for any age considering going solo. All you "youngsters", I'm so jealous. Not a youngin but don't consider myself old, just more mature in age. ;) Didn't say I was mature, just more mature in age. :D I love cruising and only wish I could afford to go as a single as I know I would LOVE it. It's usually husband and two college age kiddos. Went this last Feb. with a girlfriend (her first) and everything went great as "rommies". Unfortunately she can't cruise as often as I would like but we do hope to do another some day. With that said, I wouldn't hesitate to cruise with someone I didn't "personally" know if we were able to talk and get to know one another before planning a cruise together. Not so sure I'd be willing to just jump into a room without some sort of pre cruise communication to discuss likes, dislikes, etc. Just because you have a roommate doesn't mean you're stuck with each other and doing everything together the whole trip. It's a big ship with lots of people and ports to explore and do your own thing. With that said, it is a small room that you would be sharing very close proximities with. No need to go further. :D

All of you doing solo's, have a great time and just remember to go with the flow and have a wonderful time and experience. :) I think the younger you are the more adaptable you might be towards having a roommate. Some "mature" cruisers may not adapt as well or willingly as they are, let's say, a little more set in ways and not willing to make adjustments (not me though). :D If you have the funds and willing to pay and justify all the extra's to solo, then more power to you and hopefully I can some day too. :)

That is why I originally said FYI.....to me, it looked like folks might start

asking about finding roommates......so, I was trying to give folks a

heads up on the policy on here as I have seen threads deleted because

of it. If I misread the thread? Well, we all make mistakes on here.....

I was just trying to help.

Archived