Carnival Porthole Cabin questions

marshhawk

I booked a port hole room on the Fascination on the Main Deck....Pros? Cons? Have never had a port hole room on Carnival, I know there is no hair dryer, no robe, but is there a sofa? A chair? Can they put the twin beds together so hubby and I can snuggle or do they keep the beds as singles, And do we actually get light in that room? From the port hole? Oh and we are port/cabin 14.

I will have to start my post with a disclaimer saying that I haven't (yet) sailed in a PT room BUT I do have one booked on my upcoming cruise on the Paradise. Let me explain why I decided to book this room.

Last September while on the Carnival Elation, I had the chance to step inside one of the porthole rooms on the Riviera deck while it was being cleaned (nosy I know!). What I saw surprised me. These rooms are the same size as the OV rooms (185 sq ft) and with the porthole windows open, there seemed to be a lot of light that in. I also noticed the movement of the ship wasn't as noticeable as it was on the other decks.

I found these few pictures of a porthole cabin on the Fantasy (same class as the Paradise and Fascination).

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1292582804057125515FEdWRd

Not sure when you sail but if you want, I can post my impressions when I come back from my cruise :D

Also wanted to answer some of your questions.

Yes, the room steward will put your beds together (and if they aren't you can request they do so). I haven't sailed yet on an inside category cabin so I don't know if they come with robes but I assume they do since even the cheapest ocean view ones do.

No, there are not any hair dryers but you can bring one.

There may not be a sofa but there will probably be a chair of some kind both for the vanity mirror and just one to sit on.

Hope this answers your questions!

Iv had one in 2006 when they were still 5A cabin and had a PT last January and one coming up. Nope, no sofa. We only use the sofa to put night clothes and stuff out, so its ok to us not to have one.

sure they will put the twin beds together.

What deck, you say cabin 14?? I was in R23 I think the first time and E9 last time. Port holes are on FOUR decks all the same price ... cabin 14, could be on any deck, so we dont know where you are. Well, Im sure you arent on Empress deck, E9 is the first PT cabin on that deck on Fantasy class cabins.

sure you get a nice view. Dont forget to close those blinds the night before you will be in port if you are not a early riser. I woke up and there was this huge ship next to us and I felt like they could have seen me while I was sleeping. Same view as out a window, but you might need to get up a little closer to see a wide view thru the port holes. I had the bed next to them, so I could see out fine.

Thank you Thank you. I am so glad we can have the beds pushed together, in all the other pictures i have seen, the beds were apart. It seems that in our previous cabins, the sofa seemed to be a catch all for laundry, books, Capers, swim suits, etc, so not having one will force us to be a little neater than normal. I will look forward to your review lollylew, and firefly you had sent me pictures earlier, so thanks for that, but in those pics the beds were seperated.

Don't think I will need the robe, as there is no balcony to sit half naked on, ...I am taking a small battery opereated fan with us, just to move air(i'm a little claustrophobic) and like the feeling of air moving around, and the fact that we are smokers having the air moving would probably help. Thanks all, I am so ready to get away!

Main deck Cabin 14...sorry couldn't remember earlier what deck we were on! See I told you I needed a vacation!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the great pictures KroozFoolz! I love the shot of the view from the porthole. :):) I think that basically from a balcony to a PT, we lose about 8 feet of cabin length, but as hubby says the object of a great cruise is good sleep, good food, and get out of the cabin! I am so looking forward to this, thanks again everyone.

I also booked a PH cabin on the Imagination M11 for June. I was nervous about it too as I have only been in balcony cabins but many people have told me they liked it just fine. I was afraid of the boat rocking since it was way up front buy everyone said it wasn't that different. Also was nice to be at the end of the hall not much traffic.

I read that Carnival is not letting you bring fans aboard but you can call ahead to have one delivered to your room. Not sure why. Have you heard this? I wonder if battery operated is ok.

Roswell-The fans are not allowed because of the electrical use, (too much draw on the electrical grid).I however did find a 7 inch 2 COOL battery operated fan, and I will be taking that, found it at WalMart. Takes two D cell batteries and will run for 72 hours(of course that's if they are good batteries)So I will take at least 3 sets) You can order an adaptor, but it was not included.

If I like this cabin type I will opt for more cruises. Right now I am at work and would love to be taking a nap in one of those cabins right now! I have been reading that the lower you are on the ship the less movement you feel, and the only thing that has kept me from doing it before was because my friends told me to book a balcony to be near them, and then they moved. I loved the balcony, but really, if you are doing this cruising thing correctly, why are you in your cabin besides for those "private moments". Let me know how it goes in June.

I'm going to have to get me one of those battery operated fans. I can't sleep without one. I do have a sleep machine (that device that makes white noise). It is electric. I wonder if they will let me take that. Thanks for the advice.

You're right, if the porthole works out, then that would save a lot of money and I would be inclined to take more cruises too.

When is your cruise? I'll let you know how mine works out in June. Thanks.

I'm going to have to get me one of those battery operated fans. I can't sleep without one. I do have a sleep machine (that device that makes white noise). It is electric. I wonder if they will let me take that. Thanks for the advice.

You're right, if the porthole works out, then that would save a lot of money and I would be inclined to take more cruises too.

I bought my battery operated fan at Walmart for cheap, less than $10. Works fine. Also have an adapter. Just put it in the drawer during the day and bring it out at night.

No cruise until December, and even that far out I'm excited! If I can handle the PT then I will probably try the Freedom next December. DH wants to see the eastern Caribbean. I don't know why I think i would have a problem with a PT. On the MWA cruises everyone sleeps below deck, no air, and no privacy,(but really fun, kind of like sailing camp) but you also only have to walk up 12 steps to be outside, not 5 or 6 levels. That's why the freedom looks so cool!

as far as white noise, the ship itself makes that noise, so i don't think i would need to bring anything else.

We had cabin U2 (very first cabin at the front of ship!) on the Fascination last summer. It was fine. Only 2 problems. 1. noise from the stewards coming and going in the morning (good wake up call?) and 2. noise from anchor dropping at Half Moon Cay (another good wake up call!) We did not spend much time in the cabin. We did feel the ship more than other areas mainly coming back to the cabin at night. Hmmm... maybe it was the drinks we had and not the ship?!

We were in Usomething or other, right at the very front, like the second last cabin. I felt it rocking for sure, but I figure that is because it was a smaller ship then ones I had previously sailed on. Also my fave part about the port hole is that that cubby area is BIG we fit our suitcase up there perfectly and it was out of the way and raised high so that when I was going through our clothes it was up at about chest level and easier to root through. Will def miss that when we have an inside room on our next 2 cruises. We spend so little time awake in the room we always go for budget rooms and spend our money on booze and excusions! lol

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would pull this up again, and thanks for all the info. After much deciding we are going to do two short cruises and plan for a longer vacation to alaska in 2012, but with a 4K, again listed as an inside cabin. But you get to open the french doors.

• 4 months later...

Marshhawk make sure you come back and post your experience on the Fascination :p

We did have those PT rooms booked back in May on the Paradise but one week before sailing the Upgrade Fairy called and we were offered Empress Deck OV rooms for $50/per room (we had 2 rooms originally booked). :p

Just booked a cruise for next September on the Fascination and we are trying once again a PT room (that is if we don't get upgraded!). :D

From what I read on CC about PT rooms, it seems like you want to avoid being on the starboard side (right) if you stop anywhere that you have to tender since the anchor will be have to be lowered and since it's on the right side, you will get a nice wake up call :p

Also, the cabins that are right at the front and lower down (i.e. Riviera deck forward, Main deck forward #'s 1 to say 6 or 7) will hear the water pretty loud as it hits the hull. Of course, I have been in Riviera deck OV cabins in the middle/aft of the ship and could hear the waves splashing against the hull pretty loudly so I think that if the front can hear it, the rest of the deck can as well.

I've also read that some of the PT rooms are a little bit extra long than the normal OV cabins that are near them so that could be considered a plus! :)

We are taking a chance with the PT rooms that we have booked and really want to give them a try. I like the idea of having some light come into the room even if I won't necessarily get the best view out the window. I'm too afraid I'll get claustrophobic in an inside room :o

From what I read on CC about PT rooms, it seems like you want to avoid being on the starboard side (right) if you stop anywhere that you have to tender since the anchor will be have to be lowered and since it's on the right side, you will get a nice wake up call :p

Also, the cabins that are right at the front and lower down (i.e. Riviera deck forward, Main deck forward #'s 1 to say 6 or 7) will hear the water pretty loud as it hits the hull. Of course, I have been in Riviera deck OV cabins in the middle/aft of the ship and could hear the waves splashing against the hull pretty loudly so I think that if the front can hear it, the rest of the deck can as well.

I've also read that some of the PT rooms are a little bit extra long than the normal OV cabins that are near them so that could be considered a plus! :)

We are taking a chance with the PT rooms that we have booked and really want to give them a try. I like the idea of having some light come into the room even if I won't necessarily get the best view out the window. I'm too afraid I'll get claustrophobic in an inside room :o

• 2 years later...

DH and I had a porthole on our very first cruise on the Ecstasy. we were booked on the empress deck and had E10 I believe. We had great rooms they did put the beds together and there was plenty of walking around room. No couch just 1 chair - but we did not use the room to stay in - as we were always out and about during the day. We had no noise when docking and never really felt the "rocking". Neither one of us even had need for the bonine which I bought to bring with us. I would definately recommend a porthole room it is, in my slight experience, one of the best values out there. We sale again this year and wish we had been able to book one on this trip - they were all taken!

Archived