Hurtigruten's MS Trollfjord "touched ground"

RBob

This news is a week old, but since there's been no mention of it here, I thought I'd add it. Since I'm sailing on the Trollfjord on May 23, I found it of particular interest :)

MS Trollfjord touched ground - sailing cancelled

Wednesday 9 May MS Trollfjord hit ground in Raftsundet, Lofoten. The ship and passengers are safe in Svolvær, but due to the grounding the sailing Svolvær-Bergen is cancelled. Hurtigruten ASA has also desided to cancel the sailing Bergen-Kirkenes-Bergen 12 to 23 May.

http://www.hurtigruten.com/en/default.aspx?sak=2089&side_id=3

Judging from the ship's Webcams and the "Where is Hurtigruten Now" interactive map, it looks like the ship has been repaired and is floating in the Bergen harbor waiting for the May 23 departure.

RBob,

I have a friend who works on Trollfjord (which is how I heard of original incident & posted on 11th). If I hear of any changes to plann for Trollfjord to re-enter service on 23rd I'll post here. When are you flying(?) out to Bergen?

Been on Trollfjord 3 times, a smashing ship (& route).

Have a great voyage,

Richard

RBob,

I have a friend who works on Trollfjord (which is how I heard of original incident & posted on 11th). If I hear of any changes to plann for Trollfjord to re-enter service on 23rd I'll post here. When are you flying(?) out to Bergen?

Been on Trollfjord 3 times, a smashing ship (& route).

Have a great voyage,

Richard

Thanks!

We fly out on Monday from MSP via AMS, spend a night at the Neptun before sailing on Wednesday.

Check out:

http://www.bt.no/kamera/article221466.ece?service=largeImage&cameraName=finnmarken&camIndex=2&articleID=221466&lang=

(Finnmark's webcamera) now. Shows Trollfjord still in dry dock to S of Hurtigruteterminalen in Bergen

Richard

Yes; I've been watching the cameras and the "Where is Hurtigruten Now" realtime map since we decided to take the cruise.

The view from MS Finnmarken's #2 Web cam clearly matches the building at Hurtigruten's Bergen dock in the satellite image at its location on the map.

Looks like rain :)

http://www.hurtigruten.com/en/default.aspx

http://services.hurtigruten.com:8080/hurtigruten/index.jsp?lang=en

RBob,

The reason I mentioned Trollfjord still being in dry dock is that it may be repairs are not yet complete.

Havr you been on ship/Hurtigruten before? If not I'm happy to answer any last minute questions.

RBob,

The reason I mentioned Trollfjord still being in dry dock is that it may be repairs are not yet complete.

Havr you been on ship/Hurtigruten before? If not I'm happy to answer any last minute questions.

Thanks. My travel agent has talked to the folks in New York who assure her that there was no structural damage (the ship sailed back to Bergen [minus passengers, of course] without incident) and that it will absolutely, positively sail on the 23d and unless we hear otherwise, we're flying out of here on Monday.

Never done the Hurtigruten but there's certainly a lot of info here and elsewhere. We did a Uniworld river cruise from Vienna to Amsterdam in September of '05, but I'm sure this won't be anything like that.

But, the way I look at it, the cruise people are in the business of operating boats full of people, so if I can just get myself to the boat, everything will be just fine :)

• 2 months later...

Interested to read of the incident of May. How did your trip go? I am sailing on 21 Sep for the round trip. Would appreciate any feed back on the voyage and ship. Is it like a ferry or a cruise ship old style? Allocated tables etc Of necessity going a bit later in the season than would have liked but looking forward to it. Would appreciate any weather/ clothes info from anyone who has done journey similar season. This being typed in California so hard to think cold.

Archived