B4 extended balconies on Marina/Riviera

longduo

I would appreciate any information on what appear to be extended balconies forward and aft in category B4 on the Marina and Riviera. Is there any reason you would not want one of these with what appears to be a much larger veranda other than the fact that they are either far forward or aft?

Has anyone had one of these cabins? Any info would be appreciated.

Is there any reason you would not want one of these with what appears to be a much larger veranda other than the fact that they are either far forward or aft?

The biggest complaint has been that those deeper verandas can be overlooked from the decks above.

112319.jpg

Some people also claim that the deeper veranda privacy dividers give them a sense of "tunnel vision" when they are inside the cabin.

141404.jpg

Hope that this helped, enjoy your cruise!

JimandStan:

I have always enjoyed your posts but I am curious about the common complaint of being able to see the balcony from above.

I have yet to sail on my b4 veranda (when I return, will it convert to an after veranda? ......) but the solution to being observed seems simple - just stay under the outline of the (tiny) veranda above you!

If you want more space, you can expand into the open portion. Even if someone wanted to see you, they would have to be standing at the railing - if they were sitting down, they couldn't see you.

Frankly, if anyone wants to see my 48-year-old muffin-top (not a new pastry from Pillsbury), more power to them.

While I can understand a tunnel effect, for me it's always about having a large veranda. Now, if only they would properly furnish them with chaise lounges .....

I would appreciate any information on what appear to be extended balconies forward and aft in category B4 on the Marina and Riviera. Is there any reason you would not want one of these with what appears to be a much larger veranda other than the fact that they are either far forward or aft?

We loved the B4 extended balcony and would take again. We just waved or said hello to the people above us. The fact that we were overlooked never bothered us at all. I would also vote for chaise loungers in those rooms.

Happy Travels,

Tropiclady

You can be overlooked at higher cabin levels as well.

We were in the Deck 10 Vista on Marina in October and had a clear look at the Deck 9 Vista. In fact we talked to each other, because they were well in front of our railing.

Mura

We had 7115 on the Marina and booked it again on the Riviera. We liked the extended balcony for the space. There were so few people leaning over the railings on the above decks that it really doesn't make a difference if anyone has a view of you. The only time people lean over the railings is sailaway and coming into port and then we lean over the balcony also. If you want totally privacy, then you can sit under the eave in the shade. We enjoyed the extended balcony.

We had 7115 on the Marina and booked it again on the Riviera. We liked the extended balcony for the space. There were so few people leaning over the railings on the above decks that it really doesn't make a difference if anyone has a view of you. The only time people lean over the railings is sailaway and coming into port and then we lean over the balcony also. If you want totally privacy, then you can sit under the eave in the shade. We enjoyed the extended balcony.

We did the same :D. Stateroom 7125 last year on Marina and 7125 this year ( hopefully) on Riviera. Can't wait.

Ronnie

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Mura,

What did you think of this suite? This is a once in a lifetime splurge for us. It is my Bff's 60th Birthday. We are going next year in April to Tahitti. We have never been there and we are sooooo excited!!:):)

I have cruised many times before but never in a suite and for sure not with a Butler. Did you find reasons for his help. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! I hate to waste such an opportunity.;)

Also I was worried that the overhang of the Bridge would totally shade the deck is that so? How many people fit in the jacuzzi? It looks like maybe it is for just one. Does that Veranda have a chaise lounge or just deck chairs?:confused:

Did you find the suite to be noisy or rather quiet?:rolleyes:

Thanks so much to anyone who has info about this suite!!!

CindyKay

QUOTE=Mura;32227631]You can be overlooked at higher cabin levels as well.

We were in the Deck 10 Vista on Marina in October and had a clear look at the Deck 9 Vista. In fact we talked to each other, because they were well in front of our railing.

Mura

CindyKay,

We absolutely loved it! Yes, it was quiet! The first night or two the people in the VS below us were playing loud music, they asked if it bothered us and we lied and said it did not. But after those first two nights they must have moved the speakers inside because we didn't hear anything after that.

We didn't feel much sea motion either, but your itinerary can determine THAT factor.

It was so luxurious to have all that room, including exercise equipment!

So yes, if we weren't cheapskates we'd want to book these kinds of digs all the time, but since we are cheapskates ...

As to the butler, we usually are in a PH and in the beginning we pretty much didn't use their services. But in November 2005 I blew out my knee just before boarding Regatta and as a result we had a lot of meals in our suite (ironically, this was the first and only time we were in an OS -- we had a last minute upsell). It was helpful to have all that room because I was in a wheelchair much of the time and even in a PH I couldn't have maneuvered around. In the OS I could.

But on that cruise we learned to use the butler. They will make your life easy booking the specialty restaurants (if you want to dine there), and any other question you have. When we were in the VS on Marina we had most breakfasts in our room and a few dinners as well. It was heavenly.

I'm sure you will love this luxury! Unfortunately, it can spoil you for when you go back to the real world ...

I just noticed your concern about the overhang of the Bridge causing shadows on the deck. We were in 10001 in October so we didn't really use the deck, but the Bridge is actually in back of your deck. Just as we were in back of the 9001 deck. So if you want your sun, you should have it. We weren't in shadows at all as far as I recall.

There are chaise lounges AND chairs. There's a table for you to dine out there (large enough for 4 people as I recall). The jacuzzi just holds two people if you are very cozy ... otherwise one. It's quite large for one (I thought I would drown) but definitely not enough for a party! Remember, you have two of them ... one in the bathroom, one on the deck! And you can watch TV from the one on the deck ...

I'm sure you will love this trip!

Mura

CindyKay

We absolutely loved it! Yes, it was quiet! The first night or two the people in the VS below us were playing loud music, they asked if it bothered us and we lied and said it did not. But after those first two nights they must have moved the speakers inside because we didn't hear anything after that.

We didn't feel much sea motion either, but your itinerary can determine THAT factor.

It was so luxurious to have all that room, including exercise equipment!

So yes, if we weren't cheapskates we'd want to book these kinds of digs all the time, but since we are cheapskates ...

As to the butler, we usually are in a PH and in the beginning we pretty much didn't use their services. But in November 2005 I blew out my knee just before boarding Regatta and as a result we had a lot of meals in our suite (ironically, this was the first and only time we were in an OS -- we had a last minute upsell). It was helpful to have all that room because I was in a wheelchair much of the time and even in a PH I couldn't have maneuvered around. In the OS I could.

But on that cruise we learned to use the butler. They will make your life easy booking the specialty restaurants (if you want to dine there), and any other question you have. When we were in the VS on Marina we had most breakfasts in our room and a few dinners as well. It was heavenly.

I'm sure you will love this luxury! Unfortunately, it can spoil you for when you go back to the real world ...

I just noticed your concern about the overhang of the Bridge causing shadows on the deck. We were in 10001 in October so we didn't really use the deck, but the Bridge is actually in back of your deck. Just as we were in back of the 9001 deck. So if you want your sun, you should have it. We weren't in shadows at all as far as I recall.

There are chaise lounges AND chairs. There's a table for you to dine out there (large enough for 4 people as I recall). The jacuzzi just holds two people if you are very cozy ... otherwise one. It's quite large for one (I thought I would drown) but definitely not enough for a party! Remember, you have two of them ... one in the bathroom, one on the deck! And you can watch TV from the one on the deck ...

I'm sure you will love this trip!

Mura

Wow this is going to be better than I could have ever imagined!!:D:D:D

Just got back from our Marina cruise in a B4. We had the choice of an extended balcony or a normal one & based on what I had read here about the tunnel effect of the extended ones we booked a normal one. Having now seen them both I would definitely book an extended one - the normal ones are the smallest balconies I have encountered on many cruise lines & there didn't seem to be any privacy or tunnel problems with the extended ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings & thanks for all the input. My hubbie & I are looking at booking a B4 extended balcony on the Riviera next year. Do any of you think that cabins 7009 (forward) or 7111 (aft) that have more railing & less partition would add more light inside the cabin & decrease the "tunnel" effect? And if so, any options as to whether 2111 would be too windy whildst sailing? We don't really have a problem with being "over-looked" but like the sun (we're Canadian!) Thanks in advance.

Greetings & thanks for all the input. My hubbie & I are looking at booking a B4 extended balcony on the Riviera next year. Do any of you think that cabins 7009 (forward) or 7111 (aft) that have more railing & less partition would add more light inside the cabin & decrease the "tunnel" effect? And if so, any options as to whether 2111 would be too windy whildst sailing? We don't really have a problem with being "over-looked" but like the sun (we're Canadian!) Thanks in advance.

Those cabins "on the inside corner" are very bright, but because they are more exposed, wind can be an issue.

As my good buddy Hondorner reported when he sailed in one, those corner veranda can also give you the sensation of being "onstage". They are very exposed.

This view of Deck 7 in the area of 7111 illustrates what I mean:

110805.jpg You should also be aware that deck 7 is low enough in the ship that you may often wake up to a wet veranda.

Thanks JimandStan. The 10-day itinerary we're looking at has 4 full sea days (2 down to the Caribbean & 2 returning to Miami). If the Deck 7 verandas get lots of moisture from the sea spray while sailing, perhaps our extended balcony would be more-or-less unusable 40% of the time? On the otherhand while we're in port (6 days) or cruising slowly wind is less of a problem. Too many dimensions to this decision! Do you feel a Deck 8 cabin with smaller balcony might be drier or do we need to go higher? Right now we have 7003 on hold, which is more sheltered than 7009 or 7111 .Sorry to be a pest! (FYI We've sailed a lot with Regent; can you order room service breakfasts on Oceania?)

Thanks JimandStan. The 10-day itinerary we're looking at has 4 full sea days (2 down to the Caribbean & 2 returning to Miami). If the Deck 7 verandas get lots of moisture from the sea spray while sailing, perhaps our extended balcony would be more-or-less unusable 40% of the time? On the otherhand while we're in port (6 days) or cruising slowly wind is less of a problem. Too many dimensions to this decision! Do you feel a Deck 8 cabin with smaller balcony might be drier or do we need to go higher? Right now we have 7003 on hold, which is more sheltered than 7009 or 7111 .Sorry to be a pest! (FYI We've sailed a lot with Regent; can you order room service breakfasts on Oceania?)

I just got off Marina this past Sunday in cabin 7122. There was absolutely no sea spray and it was fabulous being so close to the water - probably one of my best balconies ever. Extremely quiet and close to the aft staircase and elevator.

The balcony was always usable - pull your chair to the railing to enjoy the water and sun like you never have on a ship or pull it under the balcony above for privacy or shade.

The motion was remarkably less than when we went directly upstairs to Toscana.

No, No, I wasn't inferring that your balcony would be unusable, just that you might need to dry off the chairs and table in the AM. And of course, to warn you against leaving anything out there overnight!

The stewards usually make a point of bringing everything in from the veranda when they turn down the beds, anyway. :p

We agree totally with Dr. Cocktail. We were on the same cruise just up the hall in 7110. It's the first aft extended balcony that has the full enclosure on each side, just aft of the stateroom Jim and Stan described Hondorner having, 7108. I would not book it or 7113 which is the same cabin on the starboard side unless you enjoy looking into other passengers cabins. We liked 7110 so much that we booked 7115 on the Riviera, the same one but on the starboard side. 7110 was already taken.

We were in 7114 & I always brought the cushions in at night (if the steward forgot)

The chairs were always covered in dried salt spray even though they were up near the doors

. We liked 7110 so much that we booked 7115 on the Riviera, the same one but on the starboard side. 7110 was already taken.

Dincus;

We have 7110 on the Mar 4 Riviera. Hope we didn't take your spot. Glad to hear you liked it. It sounds perfect for us on a nice warm, sunny Southern Caribbean cruise.

Sea Pea Inn,

We are on the same cruise! We took the 3rd and 4th in the cabin for $99pp. We'll take the pullout sofa and we'll bring the wine! JUST KIDDING!! We're on the 2/22/13 cruise.

Archived