Frederick Sound whales

bottom-dragger

This has been an amazing year for whale activity in Frederick Sound. Be on deck when you transit. I just made a daylight Sitka to Petersburg run and the estimate was 75-100 sightings. The chief mate said they were actively dodging whales.

From my front porch last night

DSCN0145_zpsb84678fa.jpg

This has been an amazing year for whale activity in Frederick Sound. Be on deck when you transit. I just made a daylight Sitka to Petersburg run and the estimate was 75-100 sightings. The chief mate said they were actively dodging whales.

I will be on the Diamond Princess Southbound from Whittier to Vancouver on September 7. We do Hubbard Glacier-8th, Glacier Bay-9th, Skagway-10th, Juneau-11th, Ketchikan-12th, at Sea-13th, Vancouver-14th. Will we be anywhere near Frederick Sound? If so can you tell me which day so I can be on the lookout. Thank you

Brenda

I will be on the Diamond Princess Southbound from Whittier to Vancouver on September 7. We do Hubbard Glacier-8th, Glacier Bay-9th, Skagway-10th, Juneau-11th, Ketchikan-12th, at Sea-13th, Vancouver-14th. Will we be anywhere near Frederick Sound? If so can you tell me which day so I can be on the lookout. Thank you

Using the best information available, repeated tossing of the I Ching, and a great big SWAG, I believe that you'll transit Frederick Sound on your Juneau - Ketchikan leg. After ~ 3 hours departing Juneau, you'll be close to the Brothers Island, 3 Finger lighthouse, and entering Frederick Sound from the north and then turning west.

http://www.psgmmc.org/pages/research/frederick.html

good luck.

Brenda

Find your naturalist onboard. They should be able to tell you the approximate times that you will be transiting whale feeding areas and other areas of interest. Ours had a map that she would update each day after communicating with the bridge with the times and locations.

Brenda

It will be after leaving Juneau. I stayed out until about 9pm, ship left at 4pm I believe. I've always seen humpbacks, and you also go right by Tracy Arm and Endicott Arm entrance where there is usually ice. Binoculars are necessary, with my only preference being wide angle.

This is a consistent hot spot humpback area, over many years, so with this concentration, it's not to be missed in my opinion, BUT, few people will take advantage, just the way it is. I'm usually out by myself. :)

Archived