Celebrity charges your account twice?!!?!

bowlinmoe

I got back from the Solstice on Sunday morning and spent a little over $500 in on-board charges on my SeaPass card, which is linked to my credit card...no biggie. Well, this particular card only has a $1000 limit (had zero balance at beginning of cruise). I go to pick up some dinner tonight with the card for $40 and it gets denied! I then look up the activity on-line to see what's up and see the $500 as posted and finished but then all these odd "pending" charges from Celebrity that don't total up the $500 and I have no idea what they are. I'm hoping they go away but why does Celebrity do this? Why mess with my availability?

And their debark process sucked on Sunday too......have to throw that in as well.

But why the hold? The final charges already posted!

I have no idea the reasoning behind it. All I know is the rep explained that they put the hold on the card to secure the charges, then the credit card company must release the hold. I just called visa and explained the situation and they fixed it

X request hold at beginning of cruise.

X files final charges at end and requests cancellation of hold.

Credit card company in no great hurry to cancel hold.

This is the most likely scenario. It is certainly unlikely that the cruise company is responsible for the delay. Sort of like processing returns; some banks are just lousy at adjusting credit card balances.

X request hold at beginning of cruise.

X files final charges at end and requests cancellation of hold.

Credit card company in no great hurry to cancel hold.

This is the most likely scenario. It is certainly unlikely that the cruise company is responsible for the delay. Sort of like processing returns; some banks are just lousy at adjusting credit card balances.

I think you'll find that step 2 is often not done...they don't request the hold is taken off.

We made our final payment for our cruise with a CC. A few days later I noticed on our CC online account that Celebrity had charged the entire amount twice :eek: . The next day the second charge had been taken off :confused:. I just figured they had made a mistake. Our card has a $25,000 ceiling but what if it had been someone whose card didn't have that ceiling ?:eek:

We see it all the time. The "holds" are put into place when you first board the ship, and the final bill is paid, but the "holds" stay in place for several days. At first it was very annoying, but when we realized nothing would become of these hold charges, we have accepted it as just a another part of playing the game.:p:)

Enjoy!

Kel

I was on the same cruise. My credit card was charged twice (not a hold) for the entire amount of my shipboard charges. I called celebrity and was transferred to the billing department. I was told that the ship submitted the credit card charges twice and it will be resolved in 48 hours

My wife talked with Celebrity CS this morning and it appears that everyone on the Solstice 4/8-15 were charged twice due to a software issue. After talking to our CC company it looks like it may be more than that. This has sent us sailing $2,000 over our limit until they get this corrected. Not terribly happy about the whole thing, and I hope this doesn't sour experience on our 2nd Celebrity cruise in 6 months.

We see it all the time. The "holds" are put into place when you first board the ship, and the final bill is paid, but the "holds" stay in place for several days. At first it was very annoying, but when we realized nothing would become of these hold charges, we have accepted it as just a another part of playing the game.:p:)

Enjoy!

Kel

Exactly,first time I got upset, now I just wait until it disappears, usually within 24 to 48 hours.;)

My wife talked with Celebrity CS this morning and it appears that everyone on the Solstice 4/8-15 were charged twice due to a software issue. After talking to our CC company it looks like it may be more than that. This has sent us sailing $2,000 over our limit until they get this corrected. Not terribly happy about the whole thing, and I hope this doesn't sour experience on our 2nd Celebrity cruise in 6 months.

After speaking to the credit card company this morning I called Celebrity to let them know what has happened. They assured me that the "other" $2000 that is pending on the account are just the authorizations they put on the card which will come off sometime within the next 10 days & the double charges should be removed within the next 48 hours or so. I can't say that I'm thrilled with their response. An email alerting me to the problem would have been nice, considering it was a couple thousand dollar mistake on their part.

Cruise companies are not the only ones who do this. I have had hotels put holds on rooms that stayed on for several days. I never use a debit card on any of these, usually use a credit card with no balance which is pretty much the only one we have..

My credit card was also charged twice for the same amount which represented my shipboard charges (not a hold). Just called Celebrity and was transferred to their accounting dept. The employee confirmed that they are aware of the problem and that the whole ship has been charged twice!!! How convenient for Celebrity.. She also mentioned that they are working on this with the credit card companies and that it may take 7-10 days to clear this up.:mad:

Call Celebrity to complain about this and keep an eye on your credit card statement.

I understand that things like that happen when you are dealing with computers. I'm just miffed that they didn't contact us and let us know that there was a problem. I know that our little oops was only a couple thousand dollars, can you imagine what being charged double did to some of the other people's accounts. Luckily we have a credit card that we only use for vacations so it didn't hurt that bad, it did send it over it's limit though which makes me unhappy. I'm anxious to see if there are any apologies to follow this mess.

We made our final payment for our cruise with a CC. A few days later I noticed on our CC online account that Celebrity had charged the entire amount twice :eek: . The next day the second charge had been taken off :confused:. I just figured they had made a mistake. Our card has a $25,000 ceiling but what if it had been someone whose card didn't have that ceiling ?:eek:

This just happened!

I now have two $500 charges that are posted and all those pending charges.

This is efffin horse doo doo.

:mad:

Archived