Connecting Room Horror Stories?

I'm in a Junior Suite with a connecting room. I've never had a connecting room on a cruise ship with the exception of my kids having connecting rooms across the hall from us. They kept the door open between them so I really can't use that as an example.

I'm just curious if I need to worry about noise from the room next door.

Any horror stories I should know about?

We had a connecting JS on our last cruise. We had a young family with what was probably about a two year old in the connecting cabin. Night time was no issue. During the day and pre-dinner time frames, there was tons of "baby talk" from the adults (which became mildly annoying) and the occasional noise from the youngster. The door certainly allows more noise transfer than the walls, but it by no means ruined any part of our vacation.

I would imagine if you had neighbors that kept hours that didn't coincide with yours, and were loud, that it could be rough.

Dan.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Forums mobile app.

Our horror story was trying to get someone to lock the connecting room door! This was in an aft JS on Mariner of the Seas (back when she was homeported in LA). We boarded around 1:00 pm, as soon as our rooms were ready. When we got to our cabin, we saw that the connecting door was standing open on our side, but was closed on the other side. When we turned the handle (there was nobody in that cabin yet), that door opened, too! A quick inspection showed that there was NO way to lock either door, without a key. Our room steward was nowhere to be found (but that's another story). It took us over an hour on the phone with Guest Relations to find someone who had a key, and could lock those doors. In the meantime, we missed our CC sailaway party!

Edited by wwcruisers

Only had a connecting room once. The couple next door seemed to come back to the cabin around the same time I did everyday for an afternoon quickie. ;) Turned the TV on so I wouldn't hear them...

Only had a connecting room once. The couple next door seemed to come back to the cabin around the same time I did everyday for an afternoon quickie. ;) Turned the TV on so I wouldn't hear them...

Hahaha! :D :thumbup:

Dan.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Forums mobile app.

We'll try to keep it down next time!:D Just kidding

We had adjoining and neber had troube whemit was strangers. When it was family, they assumed open door policy. ROFLMAO!!

I had a adjoining room for my last cruise. It was the worst ever! They had a young child who would scream first thing in the morning and late into the night. I think the kid went to the camp during the day so it wasn't a problem between 10 and 4 but any other time was a nightmare.

We are booked in connecting rooms with my bestie this time, I have already advised her that I will call the ship police if I suspect something funny is going on and she will spend the trip in the ship jail....lol

On our first cruise, we had a connecting promenade stateroom on Adventure. The first two nights, the people in the next room came back in the early hours of the morning, apparently drunk, and spent a fair amount of time talking loudly and making noise, which we were able to hear pretty clearly through the closed connecting doors. It was enough to wake us up, in any case, and keep us from getting back to sleep until it finally stopped.

On the second morning, when we got up for breakfast, we turned on the television before leaving the room and cranked the volume (and left it that way until we got back from breakfast). It was pretty close to the connecting door, and apparently got the message across--no more late night excessive noise from our neighbors after that.

We've always tried to avoid staterooms with connecting doors since, though I suspect now if we encountered such a problem, we would have a better idea of how to deal with it, but, as mentioned, it was our first cruise. Not exactly a horror story--it was just an annoyance.

We've had connecting doors a couple of times and have not noticed any additional noise to speak of, but of course it could happen, I guess.

It's not something that would deter me from booking a cabin, but if I had a choice I'd choose a non-connecting room, just to be safe.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

We booked a connecting spa balcony on the Dream to be across from our children. As it turned out I read a review on this very cabin that talked about all the voice and TV you could hear from the connected cabin. I decided to switch and moved fwd a couple of doors. We really liked the cabin and never heard a peep UNTIL midnight-3am every night when the miniature resident would scream her head off :( Note to self : Next time pick a neighbor cabin with 2 berths max :p. I would rather hear the muffled sounds of two people who love each other than a screaming child. At least you can giggle at the two ;)

we are going on our first cruise... how do I know if we have a connecting cabin?? thank you!

If you look at the deck plans for your cruise ship the cabins with connecting cabins have a double arrow between the two of them.

connectingcabins_zps6e69e584.jpg

Not really a horror story but our girls ask to have a cabin across the hall on the next cruise because they could hear Dad snoring all night long. (At home their bedrooms were downstairs on the other end of the house.)

That was quite a while back. I'm hoping the soundproofing between these connecting cabins is better now on the newer ships.

LuLu

Thanks for all the replies. Wasn't sure what to expect. I do like the idea of putting a towel on the floor by the door. If we have any problems I'll start with that!

Also, you can get all of the extra blankets you want.

Hopefully, you won't have a problem.

LuLu

I was really worried on our last few cruises especially because it was spring break. Didn't have any problems at all.

Pre-cruise at the hotel in NOLA was a different story. They were apparently running a day care center in the adjoining room. Numerous kids screaming, banging on the walls, TV blaring and adults screaming at the kids.

The last cruise we were on we had a connecting room with a small child next door. The first thing when we got to the cabin, the child ( I'm sure just being inquisitive) rattled the doorknob. I grabbed it and rattled it right back. From than on we didn't hear a thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app