general hair removal question

This is a general question about hair removal, but I'm hoping some women here can relate and offer suggestions. Menopause has, sadly, left me with some hair on my chest. Not a lot, but more than I'm comfortable with if I want to wear something low cut/showy. I tried plucking a few of the hairs, but the inflammation left red spots that are still visible over a year later (but fading slowly). I'm concerned that a depilatory cream would be too harsh and waxing would hurt the sensitive skin even more; I think shaving is my last resort.

Any other suggestions based on your own good experiences. I'm sure I'm not the only woman who's faced this issue.

The laser hair removal should work...it's pricey, but pretty much permanent! Considering you're that sensitive to plucking, permanent removal by a professional would be your best bet!

The only problem with shaving is you have to do it regularly! If that's not a problem, continue shaving!

I would wax or sugar.

Waxing is done in areas way more sensitive than the chest. ;)

I have sugared my legs for years and love a product I got from Canada. Alexandria Sugaring is the best I've tried and I used to mail order it regularly. Last time I tried, I found I can no longer get it individually. I am so disappointed as I cannot find any U.S. place that sells it. I have not been happy with other brands. I tried to buy it in pharmacies when we visited Canada last summer but none had it so I came away disappointed.

Any suggestions?

I have sugared my legs for years and love a product I got from Canada. Alexandria Sugaring is the best I've tried and I used to mail order it regularly. Last time I tried, I found I can no longer get it individually. I am so disappointed as I cannot find any U.S. place that sells it. I have not been happy with other brands. I tried to buy it in pharmacies when we visited Canada last summer but none had it so I came away disappointed.

Any suggestions?

I know what waxing is , but what is the process for sugaring ?

I have used the cream remover before on areas of neck and face for the white fuss stuff I get , but sometimes I get little bumps after that.

Cori

I know what waxing is , but what is the process for sugaring ?

I have used the cream remover before on areas of neck and face for the white fuss stuff I get , but sometimes I get little bumps after that.

Cori

Sugaring is very much like waxing except the substance is not hot like wax. I tried it maybe 10 years ago. After I pulled the first two strips off my legs I couldn't make myself do it again. I don't do well with pain.:eek:

Have you discussed this with your gynecologist? I don't think that hair on the chest is a common result of menopause, but maybe women just don't talk about it. If everything is okay with your hormones, I would talk to a dermatologist about the best hair removal for you to use.

Have you discussed this with your gynecologist? I don't think that hair on the chest is a common result of menopause, but maybe women just don't talk about it. If everything is okay with your hormones, I would talk to a dermatologist about the best hair removal for you to use.

Yup, had it checked out by my GP and a dermatologist. You're right it's not common, but it does happen. They checked all my hormone levels (and other blood work) and it's all OK........I'm just one of the unlucky ones who got "man hair" (as I call it). I've always been a hairier-than-average woman anyway, so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised :(

Sugaring is very much like waxing except the substance is not hot like wax. I tried it maybe 10 years ago. After I pulled the first two strips off my legs I couldn't make myself do it again. I don't do well with pain.:eek:

I prefer sugaring to wax as it is water soluable. If you get sugar in a place you don't want it, you can rinse it off with plain water. It is heated like wax and spreads on easily but you remove the hair/sugar with cotton strips laid over the sticky sugar.

If you mean that the hair is between your breasts, I actually would not have thought that a cream would be too harsh, should be fine. I really, really would be wary of shaving though! Stubble in that area would not be a good look ;) also remember that, although this doesn't directly answer your question, you are probably a lot more aware of it that anyone else would be. You really would have to be looking pretty closely at a woman's chest to notice if she had hairs there - I'd hope any passing men would have better manners! :)

OOOH , Well I don't do well with pain either , so I will stick to the cream remover, Thanks for the information. :)

Cori

The laser hair removal should work...it's pricey, but pretty much permanent! Considering you're that sensitive to plucking, permanent removal by a professional would be your best bet!

The only problem with shaving is you have to do it regularly! If that's not a problem, continue shaving!

My preference would be a depilatory cream. Laser hair removal doesn't always work permanently and can also cause burns and/or scarring, depending upon the person's skin sensitivity and skin color. Waxing and shaving can also create burns and ingrown hairs, again, depending upon the person's skin sensitivity. Hope the OP finds something suitable for her.

Thank you.

I've been to that site before and that is where I learned I cannot order in the way I used to. This is a site which was reformatted and I cannot find a way for a customer in U.S. to order Alexandria Sugaring delivered as I have done with them for years. Itseems it might be only for professionals now?

I'd be so appreciative if you (or anyone) finds a way for me to continue having the product shipped to me. Used to be easy as can be.

Did you try and contact them? There seems to be a U.S. address as well???

Whom do I contact with questions?

If you have any questions or comments about this Privacy Policy, call us at 1-800-957-8427 or write us at:

Alexandria Professional™

15 Lawrence Bell Drive

Williamsville, NY 14225

United States

149 King Street

Port Colborne, Ontario L3K 4G3

Canada

Please remember to include your postal address, e-mail address and phone number with your correspondence.

This is a general question about hair removal, but I'm hoping some women here can relate and offer suggestions. Menopause has, sadly, left me with some hair on my chest. Not a lot, but more than I'm comfortable with if I want to wear something low cut/showy. I tried plucking a few of the hairs, but the inflammation left red spots that are still visible over a year later (but fading slowly). I'm concerned that a depilatory cream would be too harsh and waxing would hurt the sensitive skin even more; I think shaving is my last resort.

Any other suggestions based on your own good experiences. I'm sure I'm not the only woman who's faced this issue.

I did laser hair removal it was very successful, but it only works if there is pigment in the hair so I was left with one or 2 white hairs because it does not work on those.

Regarding these professional sites, they will absolutely not ship to consumers.

Unscrupulous professionals sometimes buy and resell on Ebay and Amazon but that is probably the only places you may come across it.

I used to have my legs sugared about 25 years ago (in Europe) and always found it worked a treat, it is harder to come by trained professionals over here though.

I am a great believer in laser hair removal. There are always specials and although it does not remove 100%, it is wonderful to only have give yourself an occasional touch-up with a razor.

As to sugar, an Indian friend give me a recipe years ago that she said all the women used where she came from. It was very easy to make and use, but unfortunately my skin does not like sugar! I am sure that the recipe could be easily found online.

I am a great believer in laser hair removal. There are always specials and although it does not remove 100%, it is wonderful to only have give yourself an occasional touch-up with a razor.

As to sugar, an Indian friend give me a recipe years ago that she said all the women used where she came from. It was very easy to make and use, but unfortunately my skin does not like sugar! I am sure that the recipe could be easily found online.

What a great tip. Thank you. I just googled and found a number of choices.

I have found other makers of the product but their surgaring formula isn't as good as Alexandria's IMO You know how it is when you find the perfect product for you, can no longer get it yet know it still exists. Very frustrating.

CelticGirlCruiser,

Thank you for your suggestion about e-bay. While it isn't ethical for people to sell it there, I admit I'm willing to buy there if I can get it. If I don't buy it, someone else likely will. :o

I would like to mention one other (to me) surprising benefit of laser underarm hair removal. I very quickly noticed that once the hair was removed, I no longer got the usual perspiration odour, even after working out in the gym. When I mentioned this to a friend, she said that she had noticed the same thing.

While laser does not remove 100%, I have gone from shaving every second day to a quick touch-up every second month.

TMO for anyone not considering laser? lol

Or whatever they call that gadget I see advertized on TV. First I'm a man but was thinking of ordering one for the wife that does fight the battle of unwanted hair. The claims on the TV are one thing but before I drop a couple of hundred bucks on this thing I was wondering if any of you ladies out there had first hand experience?

thanks

I'd look into hard wax. This is what they use for Brazilian waxing--which is a far more sensitive area. It's very different than soft wax and won't cause the burns and many other problems that soft wax can.

Or whatever they call that gadget I see advertized on TV. First I'm a man but was thinking of ordering one for the wife that does fight the battle of unwanted hair. The claims on the TV are one thing but before I drop a couple of hundred bucks on this thing I was wondering if any of you ladies out there had first hand experience?

thanks

The reviews on HSN are pretty bad. 86 out of 150 one star reviews (one star is the lowest you can give). http://www.hsn.com/products/nono-8800-hair-removal-kit/6440389 (click on reviews)

Archived