PORTUGAL - River Douro cruises

barry3040

We are going on our first River Cruise at the end of June with Uniworld on this itinerary. So glad to hear that people have enjoyed it. Our last cruise was on Seabourn and it was AMAZING! We thought we would try something different. We are on the younger end of the stereotypical demographic (late 40s and early 50s). But we love to travel and we liek being with others who like to travel as well. We are looking forward to this and I cant wait until Uniworld posts photos of the Queen Isabella!

We are looking at doing a Douro river cruise in the future with either AMA or Vantage.

our last 2 on this line have been GREAT. Vantage does NOT use travel agents and has had numerous complaints about customer service in past.I used AMA with travel agent who gives %5 cash back(google for others) and got BEST deal then cash back TOO.Plus, they help with all the details,answer questions,etc.Have used them 2 times,and have 2 other cruises booked and VERY PLEASED with service.;)

Barry, we did this cruise with AMA in 2008. If you get a chnace, try to spend a few extra days in Porto. It is a great city, easy to get around. We used the HoHo bus while there and really saw a lot.

I have been on many river cruises and must say that the Douro is, IMHO, unlike the ones on the Rhine, Danube, etc. The scenery is breathtaking. Many of the stops are VERY small towns, unlike the larger ones that are on the Rhine/Danube. Someday I would like to do this cruise again.

AMA was wonderful, too.

We are booked with Viking for the Douro River cruise at the end of June.

We visited Portugal last year. Really enjoyed the country, people, wine, food, scenery, etc.

We are spending an extra day at the beginning of the cruise in Lisbon and an extra day at the end in Porto.

Very much looking forward to our first cruise ever.

Cruised the Douro river 3 years ago.

If you are the type of person who likes to get off the ship in the evening and explore the port you are visiting, you will get bored quickly. This cruise is for those who want to unwind and relax. Get your exploring "fixes" pre and post cruise. Many of the excrusions times were 1-2 hours by bus each way, and quite frankly, not fun after a couple of days for a week long cruise. It was different and I would not do it again.

Before booking, double check with the company the ship is owned by them 100% and not on a lease agreement with Portugal. This was not the case 3 years ago and the company we booked with had issues that were not 100% in there control to rectifty. It was a peculiar arrangement, but one mandated by the government of Portugal for its use on the Duoro river. Times may have changed.

Ask questions!

AMA and Uniworld now hve their own ships. Like Condocat, when we went it was a leased boat. We went with AMA and thought the trip was great. We met people from Australia, the UK, Isreal, Norway, Germany and Belgium and a very large group from Canada. Pat

• 1 month later...

Hi Pacmom think I have read many of your prior posts.

We are sailing with Uniworld Venice to Rome with 7 days on the Po river.

I know there will be lots of bus travel to the cities on the itineray.. but hey - on our Jan 2013 Miami to Lima cruise we had to travel in vans on our private tours for long times too.

I read on the Uniworld site about ship the ship they are using on the Duro river. Note: While the Queen Isabel will be the newest and one of the best ships to sail the Douro River, its amenities may differ from those of a Uniworld company-owned ship. My first thought was a great new ship without the over the top "decor" on their other ships. That is fine with me.

Can't wait to hear what other cruisers think about her once the Duro cruises start this spring.

Hi Pacmom think I have read many of your prior posts.

We are sailing with Uniworld Venice to Rome with 7 days on the Po river.

I know there will be lots of bus travel to the cities on the itineray.. but hey - on our Jan 2013 Miami to Lima cruise we had to travel in vans on our private tours for long times too.

I read on the Uniworld site about ship the ship they are using on the Duro river. Note: While the Queen Isabel will be the newest and one of the best ships to sail the Douro River, its amenities may differ from those of a Uniworld company-owned ship. My first thought was a great new ship without the over the top "decor" on their other ships. That is fine with me.

Can't wait to hear what other cruisers think about her once the Duro cruises start this spring.

Hi---you'll be getting OFF the ship when we get on! We're booked on the 8/18 Italian Splendor trip--our second Uniworld cruise. Can't wait!!!

• 1 month later...

Greetings

Going on the AMAVida this August on the Duro. (Started a Duro rollcall yesterday ... Hint Hint).

First time on AMA, but have done 3 on Uniworld, and loved them all.

Visited Porto for 1 day last fall while on a ocean cruise and fell in love with the city, resulting in our choice of the Duro trip. Looking forward to more info about the stops along the Duro.:)

Anybody been on a Douro cruise?

Any info appreciated and does it get boring on a 7 day cruise on the Douro?

&

any recommendations for cruise lines?

I took the Uniworld Douro cruise last November and enjoyed it very much. Uniworld has a three night stay in Lisbon before heading by bus to Porto to board the ship, and as the Douro is not a long river, it is an up and back from Porto to Porto, with different stops in each direction. At the head of navigation there is a day long trip to the Spanish university city of Salamanca which was most enjoyable. The cruise was a wine-centred one with stops at wineries (quintas), and a port lodge (storehouse) in Porto. Different local wines were served every night on board and port was offered at the end of every dinner, including a vintage port for the final dinner.

It was a relaxing cruise--I wouldn't call it boring at all. We had several on board concerts with local musicians in the evening including a fado night. The excursions were quite interesting and enjoyable and all included in the base price (there were a couple of optional tours in Lisbon).

Just a note on ship ownership. Most of the passenger ships on the Douro are owned by the Portuguese company, Douro Azul and leased to the cruise companies with Douro Azul staff. I was on the Uniworld Douro Spirit, which is now the Viking Douro. The new Uniworld Queen Isobel and the AMA Amavida are both Douro Azul ships on lease--they are virtually the same, except that the decor is done to the specifications of the cruise company.

So I would choose a cruise based on the itinerary and excursions, although I don't imagine these are significantly different, on price, and on your general liking for the cruise company. I have cruised with both Viking and Uniworld, and after this cruise and one this spring on the Danube also with Uniworld, i would tend to stick with them. However, I'm sure both AMA and Viking offer great Douro cruises.

• 3 weeks later...
We are booked with Viking for the Douro River cruise at the end of June.

We visited Portugal last year. Really enjoyed the country, people, wine, food, scenery, etc.

We are spending an extra day at the beginning of the cruise in Lisbon and an extra day at the end in Porto.

Very much looking forward to our first cruise ever.

When are you going in June? We will be on Viking for the June 20-30th cruise.

• 1 month later...

We just booked Uniworld for Sept 2014 on the Duro RIver.

Uniwrold will transfer us to the airport on the last day of the cruise.

Flights are much more then taking the train. We have to overnight at an airport hotel as flights back to the states leave in the early AM.

Can anyone help with my questions regarding taking the CP train from Porto to Lisbon.

We heard we can take a train (3.5 hrs) from Porto to Lisbon.

How far is the train station in Porto from where the river cruise ships dock?

Is there storage at the train station for really large suitcases?

Are the cases checked in for the train ride as they are on flights. I cannot imagine that we would be able to find room for our two large cases in the coach.

Archived