What happened to the other residential cruise liner planned?

Bollinge

Two or three years ago I was contacted by some salesman in Miami about a brand new residential cruise ship due to be built, backed by an upmarket hotel chain, Four Seasons, I think.

They had a very elaborate brochure and website, and the salesman was very anxious to relieve me of a deposit for an apartment. I told him to come back to me when the ship was built.

As I have not heard from him, I presume she was never built, and was probably a victim of the credit crunch.

Any idea of the name of the vessel, and what would have happened to my deposit?

• 1 month later...

You may be referring to the Magellan, whose company I believe was called Residential Cruise Lines. I remember reading all about it, but think you are right that is has gone the way of the dodo.

Thank you, I've been wracking my brain about this, and strangely, marketing Miami are no longer in contact!

Four Seasons Magellan was the one!

This was the sales blurb in 2008: "rumour has it that the Four Seasons Cruise Ship is almost sold out":

http://www.fivestaralliance.com/articles/look-out-four-seasons-the-magellan-residential-cruise-ship-set-sail-the-seas

R.I.P!

• 5 months later...

Four Seasons and Magellan were two different entities planning two different ships. There was also a third ship other than The World in the works, all before the economic downturn. The concepts were all slightly different but mostly seemd to be a combination of rental and ownership, sortof like a floating condo/hotel. There seemed to be more activities similar to regular cruise ships. The World is still very unique and the ship has been beSutifully maintained.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
That would be my utmost fantasy; to have a permanant home on a cruise ship like The World. Hopefully MY economy and everyone elses economy will pick up to make this possible.

A couple of things

I think you have to be "their type of person" ;)

You also have to own a house even though you live on-board "The World" :confused:

Still a 3 month rental would be O.K. as one of the other forums here have

got to the point of arguing over smoking, class , Kids , war service etc.

Not a snob by a country mile ,but rental on The World is starting to look

attractive . :D for a little more money

Hi Joysav:

I think "their type" would very likely be anyone who could afford it. I hope the days of the "snooty" rich are a thing of the past :D

I'd need a house to store my stuff that wouldn't fit in the "condo" on the ship. I love the idea of being able to come and go and also the changing view of different oceans.

I don't think I'd want to permanently stay on the ship all year anyway. I think it may get old after a few months in a row.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Joysav:

I think "their type" would very likely be anyone who could afford it. I hope the days of the "snooty" rich are a thing of the past :D

Doesn't appear to be a thing of the past from this Travel Channel show about The World (granted, two years old, which is still pretty recent); you can start with Part 1 at the link below, then click on the other 4 parts. It was pretty sickening by the end (I did have to laugh, though, when they said they provide counseling on board on how to handle the troubles of being really rich, and one of the residents talked about dealing with her children and the problems of "affluenza" :eek:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Two or three years ago I was contacted by some salesman in Miami about a brand new residential cruise ship due to be built, backed by an upmarket hotel chain, Four Seasons, I think.

They had a very elaborate brochure and website, and the salesman was very anxious to relieve me of a deposit for an apartment. I told him to come back to me when the ship was built.

As I have not heard from him, I presume she was never built, and was probably a victim of the credit crunch.

Any idea of the name of the vessel, and what would have happened to my deposit?

Here is another ship - Utopia.

http://www.palmspringslife.com/Palm-Springs-Life/May-2011/Location-Location-Location/

and more recently

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utopia_(cruise_ship)

Unless someone I know wins the lottery (I don't play) and shares with me, I will never own an apartment on any of them!

Archived