Worst food item you tasted on a cruise??

Heidict

I know that taste is subjective and that what one person may not like, another may love. But if a friend asked you what food they should avoid on their up coming cruise, what item(s) would you tell them to skip? And don't forget the cruise line. What may be bad on one, may be to die for on another. ;)

For me, on RCCL (AOS) i would have to say the Lobster Bisque in the dining room. It had a very unlobstery taste, with no lobster in sight. Was also very runny, like canned tomato soup.

Maybe being in New England has spoiled me for lobster bisque. I would be interested to know what others thought of RCCL's Lobster Bisque.

On Seabourn Legend I had a lobster that was mealy, it was quite disgusting. It was quickly replaced by a fresh one. It was hard to get over the flavor and texture of that lobster, but several glasses of Champagne sure helped.

HAL - Maasdam

Lunch buffet inedible.

Sauerkraut saturated in russian dressing is considered a salad.

Melons (cantalope/watermelon) was old, soft mushy and had that rotting smell.

Carving board roast beef - couldn't be chewed. Saw everyone thowing it away after trying one bite.

Dinner

King crab legs - the meat was dried up and shrivelled in the shell. It was probably cooked, thawed and re-cooked too many times. Leftovers were served cold on the lunch buffet the next day and looked even worse.

On my last RCI cruise, I enjoyed the lobster bisque very much.

I think it depends on the individual chef on the ship as the soups on our RCI cruise prior to that, though the same on the menu were not nearly as good in taste.

what ship where you on?

what ship where you on?

Heidict,

We were on Enchantment, June 06. I was very happy with the food.

On lobster night, we waited a while for the lobster. Found out that it came out undercooked at first and the chef decided putting it back in would make it rubbery, so they started from scratch with a new batch of lobster. When we finally got it (which in my opinion didn't take that long) it was cooked to perfection. This was not OK with the chef however. We got a tray of tasty bites and chocolate covered strawberries in our cabin the next day with a note from the head chef, appologizing for the delay in the lobster coming out. That's a chef that cares. I don't think you'd have that on any RCI ship. More than likely you would have gotten rubbery lobster that they put back in to continue cooking.

If you have any other questions about the food on that sailing, fire away...

Tammy

I know that taste is subjective and that what one person may not like, another may love. But if a friend asked you what food they should avoid on their up coming cruise, what item(s) would you tell them to skip? And don't forget the cruise line. What may be bad on one, may be to die for on another. ;)

RCCL Legend of the Seas. The dining room food was quite good with some outstanding

meals. The buffet, however, was bad beyond description. We really had it one day

when they offered meatballs in sauce (ahh, quick snack!) that were all

gristle, there was no meat in them. Whatever they put in the meat grinder was

really scraps. I doubt if a dog would have eaten them.

NCLA Pride of Hawai'i. Now we were on the inaugural cruise, and there

were kinks to be fixed with the new ship, crew, and facilities. We had

excellent food on this cruise, except for one night in the main dining room.

I guess they were experimenting with the menu, and a "spicy" curry

was indeed spicy. Inedible. We know enough to just move on and

keep going. The specialty restaurants were great. Particularly, the steak

house and the Oriental restaurant were fantastic.

On RCCL, fro NYC a few years ago, we were sent to the buffet on embarkation. I tried the paella which was unbelievably bad. Nothing on the buffet was very good at embarkation. However, all the dining room meals for the remainder of the cruise were fantastic.

A close runner-up was roast turkey on the buffet on the Norwegian Dawn last year. It tasted as if it were left over from a previous meal (which would not surprise me), but I was well informed enough to wait for a short while and find food elsewhere on the ship. Lots of good food was available at all times.

Chicken noodle soup on the Monarch of the Seas. I love soup and admit that I am a salt-aholic but this was ridiculous. I think it would have been less salty if I simply licked the salt shaker on the table. I don't know what happened and thought maybe it was just that night so I gave it another try a few days later and got the same thing. I have had the chicken noodle on other RCCL ships and it's been fine.

The worst of all cruises was the lamb stew-like stuff in gravy on the Norwegian Dream. Absolutely awful & couldn't even eat an entire bite! Not a good night in the dining room cause this entre sounded the best when reading the menu!

• 2 weeks later...

Funny to come across this thread. I just returned from the Radiance OTS on 9/23 and the lobster bisque was less than satisfactory. One of my tablemates questioned the waiter (not angry just curious) about how it was prepared. The next night the matre 'd came over and served us lobster bisque again. Honestly it tasted (and looked) the same as the previous night, more of a tomato based soup than a true bisque. The woman who originally questioned it happened to be a lawyer and gave a very diplomatic answer when asked if it was more to her liking. It wasn't a big deal and we had a chuckle about it later but at least they tried!

On both RCI and Princess I've had steaks that were too tough to eat. Just awful. I love steak and I can eat almost any cut, but there's a limit. It's low, I admit it, but it's there. Both below Ponderosa quality. Both were a one time event.

I can say that I never tried it before, but either way it was bad. This was on the RCCL EOS (used to be Nordic Empress). I thought I would try something new and decided it was not for me. Another person at my table loved it and took my share to eat. He ate it, but said it was not as good as it could have been. Very salty, slimy and not a good taste

On a lighter side, I tried their seafood in cream sauce appetizer on the same cruise (not sure if they still have it). It is a combo of shrimp, clams, scallops, squid and octopus in the sauce over some pasta. I LOVED IT! :p

It was some sort of "herbal" ice cream, accompanying a dessert on Carnival Valor. It was like eating chilled hand lotion. REALLY bad. That's the only thing we didn't like, though. We weren't sure if our palette's weren't "refined" enough, or it was just nasty. :confused:

Ew! I think they had that when we sailed on the Inspiration too! I had forgotten about it, but I do recall trying something like that. Needless to say most of it stayed on my plate. It's been too long to recall what it was served with though. Anyone else experience this particular taste sensation?

I ordered the Foie Gras appetizer on the Zuiderdam last summer. I had never had it, so I tried it. It was terrible. In my travels I have ate everything from raw horse meat, ostrich, snake, and whale, but this was BAD.

But, I am one who can stomach almost anything, and usually eat whatever I order. So I ate it all as my DW couldn't believe I would eat something so bad.:rolleyes: