Westerdam's nightly entertainment

lgotsch

We'll be sailing on the Westerdam to Aruba and Curacao this February and I'm wondering about the nightly shows and entertainment that are available on the current itinerary. I checked HA's website but couldn't find anything specific about this. Are there any recent Westerdam travelers who can provide info on this? Thanks in advance!

We were on the Westerdam Southern Caribbean Holiday itinerary. My husband and I enjoy the piano bar for our evening entertainment on cruises. Tim Kelly was the piano man for this cruise. I will say he is very talented, and entertaining ... as long as every one in the bar was "focused" on him and not talking to fellow passengers, or people in your group. He called me down numerous times for conversing with my husband, not to mention other people sitting next to me over the course of the week ... I took it in good stride because I was trying to have fun, and after all it is a "piano bar" ... not a concert stage. First time I have ever been treated as if still in grade school by a piano bar player. He was very rude to many who made the mistake of interacting with each other instead of staying totally "focused" on him. We have always felt that part of the "fun" of the piano bar on the ships is the comaraderie with fellow cruisers in a fun and lively atomosphire. Be prepared to be "called down" and ridiculed by Tim Kelly if you're doing anything short of paying enrapt attention to his "performance". We would choose another cruise line if we knew he would be our piano bar man for any future cruises.....

We really liked the solo guitar player on the Nieuw Amsterdam last March. Lots of familiar songs to listen to. My understanding is he is booked on the Westerdam from Dec until April. His name is Matt Murphy and besides playing at the pool in the afternoons, he plays up in the Crow's Nest almost every night. Tell him 'Hi' from Ed and Betty. He'll remember us.

What happens for entertainment for the first cruise coming out of dry-dock? We are on the Westerdam repositioning cruise in April, which is directly following dry-dock. Will they wait until the ship gets to the left coast before the contract entertainers join? I sure hope not!

Dennis

We were on the Westerdam Southern Caribbean Holiday itinerary. My husband and I enjoy the piano bar for our evening entertainment on cruises. Tim Kelly was the piano man for this cruise. I will say he is very talented, and entertaining ... as long as every one in the bar was "focused" on him and not talking to fellow passengers, or people in your group. He called me down numerous times for conversing with my husband, not to mention other people sitting next to me over the course of the week ... I took it in good stride because I was trying to have fun, and after all it is a "piano bar" ... not a concert stage. First time I have ever been treated as if still in grade school by a piano bar player. He was very rude to many who made the mistake of interacting with each other instead of staying totally "focused" on him. We have always felt that part of the "fun" of the piano bar on the ships is the comaraderie with fellow cruisers in a fun and lively atomosphire. Be prepared to be "called down" and ridiculed by Tim Kelly if you're doing anything short of paying enrapt attention to his "performance". We would choose another cruise line if we knew he would be our piano bar man for any future cruises.....

OMG that is amazing! Tim calling folks out... wow! We're on the Westy, in the fall, I hope he's there! If he calls me out, I'm asking him to perform something... Chopin's Op 25, 11 & 12 should keep his fingers busy! :D

Derek

We were on the X-mas cruise in Dec. 2011 and as for the other shows they had a couple of Broadway type shows with the Halcats (Westerdams band) playing the music and the Haldancers and singers performing. They were entertaining. The music is good but the singers are OK. The production quality is top notch but it isn't a "Glee". There also was a singer from London that performed in several long running "west side productions" such as the lion King. he was a very good singer and entertainer. Overall the "night" entertainment was as expected on a cruise and very entertaining.

It was a pity that at 10 PM the comedian had to dial down his performance because several pre-teen kids were in the audience and even after he made a comment such as "I'm surprised to see kids at a 10 PM adult comedy show" those cruisers didn't budge so he had to do a different routine which was so so. Piano bar and Guitar player and the Disco are always options too.

Happy cruising.:)

We'll be sailing on the Westerdam to Aruba and Curacao this February and I'm wondering about the nightly shows and entertainment that are available on the current itinerary. I checked HA's website but couldn't find anything specific about this. Are there any recent Westerdam travelers who can provide info on this? Thanks in advance!

Contrary to one post on here....we've cruised with Tim Kelly as the Piano Bar entertainer twice and found him to be AMAZING! The best entertainment on the ship for sure....he involves everybody singing along,he's a great singer, comedian,impressionist and pianist....I never heard him "call anyone out"....Although I really wish that he would have, because there was a couple talking loudly at the piano bar while we were trying to sing along and enjoy Tim's performance, it was a distraction for all of us sitting at the piano bar, if everyone just talked amongst themselves while sitting at the piano bar then who would be singing along or enjoying the comedy, vocals or impressions of this very talented performer....we love piano bars and are there to participate or listen.....we can talk with each other any time....Don't miss Tim Kelly...he's the best!....Marie and Greg

The Piano Bar is what we enjoy, too, for our evening entertainment...and I have to say, that is really strange. I hope he's not on our Maasdam cruise next week!

We had a wonderful piano man on our Maasdam cruise last year...Mark Farris. He drew the same crowd around the piano every night and it was really, really fun! I still play his CD that I bought...he is incredibly talented.

I think he mostly sails on Crystal though. :(

• 1 month later...

Wow, I've never really done the piano bar and may try that this next cruise.

I love the Adagio Strings or whoever they are--the string quartet. With lovely coffees/liquors and sweets and beautiful music. That is a lovely relaxing after-dinner treat.

I enjoy all the entertainment. We found we even like the cheesy karaoke contests. The HAL performances are nice and any live entertainment is special. The guy juggling chainsaws a few years back was a bit wild on a moving ship.

Just remember, if you aren't finding it entertaining, head out to somewhere else. Just because you started a show, doesn't mean you have to finish it. Just leave quietly and discretely and find the one that fits you.

We were on the X-mas cruise in Dec. 2011 and as for the other shows they had a couple of Broadway type shows with the Halcats (Westerdams band) playing the music and the Haldancers and singers performing. They were entertaining. The music is good but the singers are OK. The production quality is top notch but it isn't a "Glee". There also was a singer from London that performed in several long running "west side productions" such as the lion King. he was a very good singer and entertainer. Overall the "night" entertainment was as expected on a cruise and very entertaining.

It was a pity that at 10 PM the comedian had to dial down his performance because several pre-teen kids were in the audience and even after he made a comment such as "I'm surprised to see kids at a 10 PM adult comedy show" those cruisers didn't budge so he had to do a different routine which was so so. Piano bar and Guitar player and the Disco are always options too.

Happy cruising.:)

I don't blame you for being disappointed that the comedian didn't perform the expected adult comedy show... Seems like the parents accepted responsibility by bringing them to the 10:00 pm show that was listed as being adult. :(

Archived