Which cruise line for 2006 - teenager friendly

I've been looking at itineraries for next summer. I like NCL itinerary for the Jewel, but I don't know much about the line. I can only go on 7 night cruises - no time. Do many people take their kids on European Cruises and if so which lines are more popular?

I know you say you can only do a 7 night cruise but frankly to travel all that way for just 7 nights would be a shame. Perhaps you can squeeze in a 10 day cruise? I'd look into Princess, Royal Caribbean or Celebrity.

We're looking at the Grand Mediterranean (Venice to Barcelona) with Princess for the summer of 2007. This is a fabulous itinerary! We've got three boys, 17, 14 and 10. We already have a two week cruise booked for August of 2006 otherwise we would have booked the European cruise for next year.

Now, I don't know about NCL cruises. However, for our honeymoon we cruised with NCL on the Southward. Trip was fun -- the ship, however, was not. Wouldn't bother to book with them again. My gf and her family went on NCL cruise to Hawaii last year. While they loved the itinerary, they hated the ship. That's just the info I have so you can take it for what it's worth.

HTH

Lisa :)

Thanks for your insight. I know 7 nights isn't long, but I always fly in a couple days early to enjoy the port city. That is another reason I look for the 7 night cruises. To do a 10 or 14 day then to add the precruise stay. That is way too long for me to get away. I'm also impressed that you have August 2006 booked already!

I have sailed on several of RCI mega ships, but am doing Princess in the Med because I liked their itinerary better. RCI is great for teens, you will have a hard time getting them off that ship to go into port as there is so much to see and do aboard. We used to laugh that a 7 day cruise to nowhere on Adventure,Voyager,etc is a destination all to itself. Have not sailed Princess so I can't say if my teen will like it better than RCI or not. I have not heard any raves about NCL from anyone that I know.

We've done the Splendour 7 day Med cruise, and it was fabulous! Many, many good reviews on this one. RCI is a good family choice, too.

Lots of ports, so there isn't a lot of time on the ship. Barcelona is a wonderful city, so that's a great pre-cruise stay, also.

British Airways has frequent air deals to Barcelona that include a two night stay in London, which is what my DH and I are doing this October. It can be added to either end of the flight, so pre-stay in Barcelona, and post-cruise in London, with the 7 day cruise sandwiched in between. That sounds like a great trip to me!!!

The best lines for teens, in my opinion, are:

Royal Caribbean's Voyager-class ships (teenager lounge, disco, Promenade, etc.

The new/larger ships from Carnival.

I have a 12 year old. He likes cruising the Caribbean, but isn't into sightseeing. He likes things that are activity focused and age appropriate for him.

We did the Brilliance last year and there were a lot of teens. Most times our son would meet up with his friends at the teen club and the group would then go off and do their own thing. He had a great time.

Definitely not worth going that far for 7 days sorry.

We just returned from The Grand Med. with Princess Cruises, we have kids 15, 13 and 11. It was fantastic, lots for kids to do, they have their own disco, arcade, hot tub etc etc and the their own 'Movie under the stars' in the evening.

Royal Caribbean (RCI) has excellent programs for teens!! According to my 18-year old, the teen programs offer just the right mix of structured activities and free hanging out or 'chillin' time. From what I've heard, RCI goes out of their way to find the best and the "coolest" youth/teen counselors. Your teens will have a blast. Enjoy your cruise.

This ship is doing a special season next year around the Med,don't think it is widely known! I don't mind telling as I have my cabin booked!!!!! :D From what I've seen and heard about this ship it would be great for teenagers. I know I won't want to get off!It is only 7 days,but I am having a few extra in Barcelona.Then back for a holiday in UK.There were a couple of 14 day but I can't find them anymore so I think they are filled.They did the same 7 then 7 around the Greek Isles.Check it out,price not too bad I thought.

We are doing a 12 day RC tour this summer with our teens. We did

the 7-day Eastern Mediterranean four years ago with them and it was

fantastic. Hey, most people don't have more than a week and it MUCH BETTER than not going. But I do agree that if you can get there two or three

days in advance and at least tour the port city, that is a great solutiion.

We've done Grand Princess in the Caribbean and my husband and I almost

preferred the it to RC, but teens definitely prefer RC, any of the ships.;)

We are doing a 12 day RC tour this summer with our teens. We did

the 7-day Eastern Mediterranean four years ago with them and it was

fantastic. Hey, most people don't have more than a week and it MUCH BETTER than not going. But I do agree that if you can get there two or three

days in advance and at least tour the port city, that is a great solutiion.

We've done Grand Princess in the Caribbean and my husband and I almost

preferred the it to RC, but teens definitely prefer RC, any of the ships.;)

Royal Caribbean & Princess have far better programs and facilities for teens than Carnival or NCL. The Voyager class ships are fantastic and Princess' Grand Class are not far behind.

Archived