Prince Willam Sound and Tracy Arm Fjord

MightyQuinn

We had a fantastic catamaran tour out of Whittier into Prince William Sound with PWS last year, with numerous wildlife sightings and wonderful glacier calving. It was a highlight of our Alaska cruise. We're considering the Allen Marine catamaran trip into Tracy Arm Fjord this year (ship excursion TA to Juneau), but wonder how similar it would be to Prince William Sound? My research leads to believe that they are different enough but would appreciate any first-hand experiences.

It's very different. Towering rock walls and multiple waterfalls with the spectacular South Sawyer Glacier at the end of the trip.

Prince William Sound has many more glaciers to view and is in a more "open" area. Just came back from two spectacular days in the sound with Lazy Otter Charters and Major Marine tours. Clear blue skies and warm temperatures with visits to Blackstone Bay and a charter to Chenega Glacier, Culross Passage, and other areas off the beaten path.

Thanks for the replies.

Chenega, it was your wonderful description of Prince William Sound that convinced me it was a must-do. I'm so glad we did! Definitely a highlight. Lucky you to be able to hop aboard and take these trips so frequently. Thanks for the comparison to Tracy Arm. It sounds different enough and well worth exploring.

Zqvol, thanks for the link to your slideshow on Flickr. Wow! Incredible images of a spectacular day. Was this the Allen Marine trip that picks you up from your ship in Tracy Arm and continues to Juneau? How long was your transit? Was there enough outside viewing space?

Thanks for the replies.

Chenega, it was your wonderful description of Prince William Sound that convinced me it was a must-do. I'm so glad we did! Definitely a highlight. Lucky you to be able to hop aboard and take these trips so frequently. Thanks for the comparison to Tracy Arm. It sounds different enough and well worth exploring.

Zqvol, thanks for the link to your slideshow on Flickr. Wow! Incredible images of a spectacular day. Was this the Allen Marine trip that picks you up from your ship in Tracy Arm and continues to Juneau? How long was your transit? Was there enough outside viewing space?

Thanks for the compliment! It was gorgeous in the sound this past weekend. My wife and I took my brother on Lazy Otter Charters to Chenega Glacier which was stunning. The next day we did Blackstone Bay and saw an enormous calving at Beloit Glacier.

As much as I love the sound, I also enjoy Kenai Fjords for the amount of wildlife visible out there. We're going this weekend.

In-between, it's a trip to Denali. Always fun when locals get to entertain guests and show off our home.

Thanks for the replies.

It was the Allen Marine trip that picks you up from the ship. The total time was probably six hours until we got back to Juneau. There was more than enough room outside, but be aware that part of the time it was really cold, so layers including wind protection are a must.

The inside of the boat was nicely heated with plenty of comfortable seating and nice restrooms.

Archived