Important question about Princess Cays

niceguy02_06

I was wondering how far this is from nassau? I want to do the Dolphin Swim and go to the Eastern Caribbean but princess doesn't go to Nassau. I know there is one in ST martin actually about 45 minutes from there but don't want to do this one as it takes to long. I would pick princess if I could do the swim.

Thats my question. The one I'm looking at you get there around 9 and leave at 4. I assume you have to be back by three. That gives you around 6 hours. I read it only 30 minutes to nassau so total 1 hour and half or so for travel and 3 or so for dolphin should be able to get back around 2 if the 30 minutes is accurate.

I have never seen or heard of anyone going from Princess Cays to Nassau before. Princess Cays is just a beach day, no boats coming or going to transfer you to another island.

Maybe someone here can give you an idea, but I know of no way to get from point A to point B and back again.

Keep in mind one thing too, it if the seas become rough, that could stop you from getting back on time even if you did find a way to get there. Also, if they should start to become rough, Princess will either cancel the port stop or bring everyone back to the ship early.

Not a great idea! Sorry! :mad:

niceguy02-There probably are dophin swims in most ports in the Caribbean, we have just never looked into them. Only done one once when we took along the 5 year old granddaughter so she could have the experience.

You might venture over to the ports of call boards and ask your question about different dolphin swims there, I am sure if they have them, someone will be able to give you a thumbs up or down on the different ones offered.

Best of luck, I hope you find exactly what you are looking for.

And enjoy your cruise, which ever line you end up sailing with.

Here is a thought for you. Why don't you cruise with Princess and before or after your cruise take a short trip down to Grassy Key, FL to the Dolphin Research Center. My daughter interned there and it is a marvelous facility. They are open to the public although it is not a "dolphin show" kind of place. . .you get to see dolphins in a very natural habitat. You see them learning, you can see them getting their medical tests, you can see the mothers and babies (if there are any) in their pools, it is absolutely fascinating. And they have dolphin swims, dolphin encounters, meet the dolphins, etc. My daughter attended two years of Dolphin Camp there, two weeks each, and then she interned last summer as a way of getting experience as she is going to veterinary school. What an experience! The swims are a very private, one on one with a specific dolphin and are unlike anything else. It takes 1 1/2 hrs from Miami, 2 hrs from FLL, Grassy Key is at mile marker 58. Key West is mm 1. So it is about halfway to Key West, right before Marathon. Just by adding one day before or after your cruise you could accomplish all you want to.

I can't figure out how to attach the link but just type Dolphin Research Center into your browser. Dolphin swims are by appointment and book well in advance so keep that in mind.

oh, p.s.

Don't give up your day at Princess Cays. It is the best private island! It is, in fact, one of our favorite days on Princess cruises.

Definitely a good point, Princess Cays is a great beach day, once you get there, you really wouldn't want to miss it. Can't wait to see it again since the last time we were there was before they had to re-do everything because of the hurricanes. I hear it is even better than before.

I think renting a car is the best way but there are regular shuttles going to and from many points in the Keys from Miami airport (and maybe FLL, not sure). A one day rental would actually be the cheapest. It is about $50 one way by bus.

The water park at the Disney complex in Orlando also has a "dolphin encounter", and you can always count on Disney to do things right.

I know a lot of people want to do this sort of thing, but I have to say, I saw it going on in a park in Cozumel a few years back, and it was truly sad.

They had the dolphins in this tiny roped off area where they could not even move, and they were just barely letting these squealing kids get in and touch them.

Have you checked the Princess Excursions for the ports you're going to? If there's a dolphin swim, and I know there are dolphin swims available in several ports, then it won't be "too long." They'll make sure you get back to the ship in time.

The water park at the Disney complex in Orlando also has a "dolphin encounter", and you can always count on Disney to do things right.

I know a lot of people want to do this sort of thing, but I have to say, I saw it going on in a park in Cozumel a few years back, and it was truly sad.

They had the dolphins in this tiny roped off area where they could not even move, and they were just barely letting these squealing kids get in and touch them.

We found a totally open enviorment in Nassua for the Dolphin Encounter when we took our granddaughter. The Dolphins were free to come and go as they pleased in a tank open to the ocean. Everyone stood inside the tank on a platform and the dolphins would come to them, one at a time. When the Dolphins had had enough, they would swim back out in the ocean and everyone had to wait patiently for their return. They would coax them in with fish and within 10 minutes they would return. But it was nice to know that they were not being forced into a small area where there was no escape.

Archived