Buying Soda's in Venice...

lep1204

I'm wanting to take Diet Coke with me on the cruise. Is it very expensive to buy cans in Venice? Am I better off packing some 20 oz. bottles in my luggage, and bringing them from home?

You can find soda everywhere including diet if you simply must still have a a soda. As with all things they are a bit more in Venice and around Italy, but no so much that I think you'd consider lugging a 12 or 24 pack and taking up all that weight in your luggage.

There is a grocery store near Piazzale Roma (close to the cruise port in Venice). I think it's called COOP. You should be able to buy soda there. I haven't been to Venice in a while, but in Rome you can buy a 20 oz bottle of Coca-Cola Light (their version of Diet Coke) for just under a euro in a grocery store -- the same bottle will cost you far more if you purchase it from a stand outside the Colosseum, for example. Venice may be slightly more expensive.

I'm wanting to take Diet Coke with me on the cruise. Is it very expensive to buy cans in Venice? Am I better off packing some 20 oz. bottles in my luggage, and bringing them from home?

Not sure what ship you will be on, but on Princess you can purchase a soda card that allows you unlimited refills of Coke products plus you will get a free mug.

Not sure what ship you will be on, but on Princess you can purchase a soda card that allows you unlimited refills of Coke products plus you will get a free mug.

I will be on Royal Caribbean. You can also buy coke cards, but I don't think I would drink enough for it to be worth it. Might just drink one, maybe two, per day. Suppose I could buy them on the ship as needed, but I just hate to pay a few bucks for a can of diet coke on the ship. Silly maybe :o

We have been to the COOP market near the Piazale Roma a few times and they usually have Coke Light. They also have some pretty decent box wine for about 11 dollars for a 5 liter box! The COOP market is pretty easy to find. Just walk down to the Vaporetto pier (it is on the left side of the Piazale Roma as you come across the bridge from the port) until you get to the water (Grande Canale) and turn left. Its right along the water in about 2 blocks.

Hank

As others have said I would go to the Coop market to purchase sodas.

I would not pack sodas in the luggage. It is not worth the risk should the cans open up plus the weight would be significant.

And there will also be other ports where they can undoubtedly purchase soda as well.

Keith

I will be on Royal Caribbean. You can also buy coke cards, but I don't think I would drink enough for it to be worth it. Might just drink one, maybe two, per day. Suppose I could buy them on the ship as needed, but I just hate to pay a few bucks for a can of diet coke on the ship. Silly maybe :o

Unless you can get them at a grocery, the prices you'll pay for soda in Europe are probably at least as expensive as purchasing them onboard ship. Really, for a few $$$ savings, it's not worth worrying about.

FWIW, I'm a dedicated Diet Coke drinker and I've never had a problem tracking down a Coca Cola Light in any country in Europe (or anywhere else, with the possible exception of Egypt). Just remember, it will taste a little different than the Diet Coke you're used to.

Archived